Weird Issue with WD TV Live - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-18-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the latest version of the WD TV Live media player. I noticed something the other night, and I can't figure out what is happening. I have a lot of .mp4 files saved on a hard drive connected to my PC. I stream them wirelessly to the WD TV Live. There are two ways to do this, either by connecting via "Network Share" or "Media Server".

I like to use the Media Server option as it portrays all the movie artwork properly that I like to see. However, I have noticed that some movies/files do not show up if I use the Media Server option to watch movies.

Those same movies that don't show up on the "Media Server" option, will show up if I view thru the "Network Share" option.

I'm not quite sure how or why this is happening. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Also, is there a better media server option to use (similar to Plex) that will automatically fill in information for a given movie and show it on the WD TV Live? Or am I totally misunderstanding what this does? If so, can you please walk me through this.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-19-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 5 Old 07-19-2012, 04:19 PM

How do you like your WD TV live , is this any good when streaming movies, with the .mp4 i think that can handle but the heavy on like.mkv it sux , I have 2 of this and just about throw it to trash can because movies playback are bad, especially when play the movies streaming via network
post #4 of 5 Old 07-20-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enron29 View Post

I have the latest version of the WD TV Live media player. I noticed something the other night, and I can't figure out what is happening. I have a lot of .mp4 files saved on a hard drive connected to my PC. I stream them wirelessly to the WD TV Live. There are two ways to do this, either by connecting via "Network Share" or "Media Server".
I like to use the Media Server option as it portrays all the movie artwork properly that I like to see. However, I have noticed that some movies/files do not show up if I use the Media Server option to watch movies.
Those same movies that don't show up on the "Media Server" option, will show up if I view thru the "Network Share" option.
I'm not quite sure how or why this is happening. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Also, is there a better media server option to use (similar to Plex) that will automatically fill in information for a given movie and show it on the WD TV Live? Or am I totally misunderstanding what this does? If so, can you please walk me through this.
Thanks.

What mediaserver are you using on your computer? The mediaserver might not support the particular files, even though the media player will. That can explain why you can see them via network share, but not mediaserver.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-18-2012, 05:54 AM

i am stuck between choosing Asus O'play HDP-R3 and WD TV live
I do not have wifi router
i use my vista HP laptop's wifi N capability to setup ad-hoc connection [PC-to-PC] [wep/wpa-2 security] to send the wireless signal to my home network

i have my hard drives connected to my laptop via usb with file sharing enabled
i only want network sharing - no DLNA.

i have acer iconia w500 [win 7 HP] and i can access movies over wifi fine - no issues - perfect wifi streaming from my laptop to iconia that too playing the 1080p on iconia without lag, no dropped connections either - so in one word perfect !

the issue is - i have old CRT TV with AV-in [no HDMI] so i need either Asus O'play HDP-R3 or WD TV live , since both have composite out [AV-out] to stream from my vista PC to TV

i need the device(s) purely for wireless streaming to stream from my vista laptop to my TV , no DLNA - purely network sharing

So which of these [Asus O'play HDP-R3 or WD TV live] is great to setup wifi and network share 'easily' without hassles/ dropped connections - please advise
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page