HT, iTunes and Streaming. Wireless or direct cables? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 07-19-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a laptop, panny blu ray dmp bd65, and a Denon's 2112 AV receiver. and a Sony laptop. The laptop and cable modem are side by side with the bluray,receiver and TV in the next room about 6 feet away.

Everything is wireless capable except the TV. I have Airplay on the Denon that I need to access. I could hook up all this by ethernet but wireless would be more convenient.

I watch a lot of Netflix streaming so have to unplug the ethernet from my laptop and run it around the corner into the bluray that is connected HDMI to TV

Is a wired connection actually the best as far as streaming and integrity of picture? I just read about special cables. I could live with cables running under a door if that assures me of the best connection in all ways. Just upgraded my Hometheater so I want HD capable.

Do not foresee any other additions to my setup so it is pretty simple but I do want it all convenient. I do have ITunes on my laptop and that is about it as far as music files.

Can anyone suggest a router that would suit my purposes on a budget but I want a reliable one?

I want to watch TV and be on my computer simultaneously.

I am not a tech geek so please take it easy on me. I kind of lose it when giga whatever and bytes r used more than twice in the same sentence.

Thanks ahead. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-20-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wired will almost always surpass wireless but it's also nice to have both. You don't need to unplug one component to use the cable in another, just get a four port switch for less than $20. If you would like wireless too, an inexpensive N router will also act as a multi port switch. I use Netgear for years and they haven't let me down yet. THe 3400 is a great budget wireless router.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-20-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I've seen the WNDR3700 router on sale for as low as $80 online. That's what I used to use before I got ATT UVerse internet.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #4 of 20 Old 07-20-2012, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

Wired will almost always surpass wireless but it's also nice to have both. You don't need to unplug one component to use the cable in another, just get a four port switch for less than $20. If you would like wireless too, an inexpensive N router will also act as a multi port switch. I use Netgear for years and they haven't let me down yet. THe 3400 is a great budget wireless router.

The 4 port is if i was running ethernet cables from the modem to the laptop, bluray and receiver? Would I then be able to play itunes on Receiver?
If i went wireless what would that look like? I'm lost at 4 port AND wireless router. How would that look?
Once u learn it is a piece of cake but until then I'm eating bit by bit

Just read about the netgear 3400. Wanting to make sure I don't buy this and find out there was something else I should have looked for in capabilities.

What is Gigabyte ethernet that 3400 does not have?. What is Network storage ? What would external hard drives do or be?

My needs are simple, just want to be able to access i tunes and watch HD quality stuff with Netflix. Went through this with TV and now if I had known would have bought a TV with internet access.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-21-2012, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidoug View Post

The 4 port is if i was running ethernet cables from the modem to the laptop, bluray and receiver? Would I then be able to play itunes on Receiver?
If i went wireless what would that look like? I'm lost at 4 port AND wireless router. How would that look?
Once u learn it is a piece of cake but until then I'm eating bit by bit
Just read about the netgear 3400. Wanting to make sure I don't buy this and find out there was something else I should have looked for in capabilities.
What is Gigabyte ethernet that 3400 does not have?. What is Network storage ? What would external hard drives do or be?
My needs are simple, just want to be able to access i tunes and watch HD quality stuff with Netflix. Went through this with TV and now if I had known would have bought a TV with internet access.

Help.

I just pulled the trigger on Airport Express from Apple. Please let me know if I did the right or wrong thing. According to the sales person I can network my Denon 2112 with Airplay to access my iTunes on my Sony Laptop. Also I will be able to use the computer and internet at the same time I am watching/listening to Netflix.

Anyone watching let me know as I just ordered and could cancel. Thanks. I probably could have gone a cheaper route but ,damn it , I just needed to buy something. It's my bday!!
post #6 of 20 Old 07-21-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Well in that case happy birthday!

In relation to streaming wired is always the optimum choice. If all your equipment is close and you are using a clear or nearly clear channel odds are you'll be OK. My network is mostly wired, got 20+ things connected, and I recently redid it changing all my IP addresses (don't ask...). Anyway my gateway reset the wireless channel and after that I was having all kinds of connection issues with my laptops, Ipad, tablet and cell phone. Connections kept dropping. Turns out a bunch of my neighbors equipment was all on the same channel, 6, and causing issues. None are closer than 300' in any direction, but once I changed the channel to 11 all my problems went away.

Point is make sure you setup your wireless system correctly. Someone suggested inSSIDer to me, it's a handy tool to see what is going on around you. Use it and setup your Airport on the least used channel for optimum performance.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/?utm_expid=190328-1
post #7 of 20 Old 07-21-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Help.
I just pulled the trigger on Airport Express from Apple. Please let me know if I did the right or wrong thing. According to the sales person I can network my Denon 2112 with Airplay to access my iTunes on my Sony Laptop. Also I will be able to use the computer and internet at the same time I am watching/listening to Netflix.
Anyone watching let me know as I just ordered and could cancel. Thanks. I probably could have gone a cheaper route but ,damn it , I just needed to buy something. It's my bday!!

Airport Express it just a router, your Denon already comes with Airplay. So, I am confused why you need the Airport Express when all you need is for your Denon to have an internet connection so you can access Airplay from it.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #8 of 20 Old 07-21-2012, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Airport Express it just a router, your Denon already comes with Airplay. So, I am confused why you need the Airport Express when all you need is for your Denon to have an internet connection so you can access Airplay from it.

No, I am the confused one but I have asked about my situation and not gotten answers that I comprehended. Read impatient. Maybe, Gus u answered part of it by telling me my Denon needs an internet connection only I don't know how to network it. After spending a few hours here and there and learning enough to realize how sophomoric my questions have been I just wanted to get over it.

In any case my needs should be met by this solution, if not then i need to know what I do need.

I liked the AE so I could Netflix or use iTunes and surf the web at the same time if desired. I enjoyed my Apple experience over the phone while purchasing.

Also, I have been a PC user and when buying the Denon with the Airplay it was my first step into Apple World. Next step is a laptop or Ipad.

Thanks for everyone's input
post #9 of 20 Old 07-21-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Im glad you are happy with your purchase. With my set up I can stream movies to 4 different room, watch hulu, oldflix, vudu, pandora, search the interner, play my music stored in my server, access itunes located in my pc and much more with a $60 dollar 2wire router. Also i can have my laptops, cell phone and tablet accessing whatever i want.

Apple products are excellent and over priced, but my wife still wants an iPad lol.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #10 of 20 Old 07-22-2012, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

^^^ What do u mean" play my music stored in my server",,,

Out of curiosity, if Apple could somehow bring production home would u be more likely/unlikely to purchase. Might mean a higher price possibly. I'm not a pollster in disguise I just watch too much CNN in the middle of the ocean.
post #11 of 20 Old 07-22-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^^ What do u mean" play my music stored in my server",,,
Out of curiosity, if Apple could somehow bring production home would u be more likely/unlikely to purchase. Might mean a higher price possibly. I'm not a pollster in disguise I just watch too much CNN in the middle of the ocean.

I ripped most of my CD's and I store them in my server and I can access them via iTunes or directly from the server. I'm probably going to buy an iPad for my wife and I'll be able to use airplay to access and stream the movies and music from my server.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #12 of 20 Old 07-22-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

^^^Ok. Just went to wikipedia and webomedia and read about "server." So would my laptop which includes the ability to process iTunes be my server?
post #13 of 20 Old 07-22-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^^Ok. Just went to wikipedia and webomedia and read about "server." So would my laptop which includes the ability to process iTunes be my server?

Yeah, it can be your server or NAS. You pretty much need something to store your file in and be able to share those file through different devices via network.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #14 of 20 Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

I have a very simple set up. PC laptop that i keep ethernetted into the internet from my cable modem. I have a 2112 with a panny tv and panny bluray player. the tv,blu ray and avr are hooked up via HDMI.

My laptop and cable modem are in one room and TV,br and 2112 are in the next room but very close. When I want to watch netflix i have to disconnect my laptop and run the ethernet cable to the BR player that has internet capabilty.

Finally after exasperated from research I bought an Airport express only to discover that I still have to run an audio cable from the express to my 2112 in order to stream iTunes. I want a wireless hookup so I don't have a wire running under my door to the 2112.

I would call Denon's but living in Hawaii they are closed by the time i can make a call. I think I just need to know how do I get my 2112 hooked to the internet? I thought I read somewhere you cannot simply run an ethernet cable from the cable modem to the 2112.

I want to listen to iTunes on my PC over my new HT system with the 2112.
I would like to be able to watch a movie while having internet access to my computer.
My Computer does not have HDMI.

Well, Gus Gus, The Airport is NOT what I wanted since it does not allow me to wirelessly connect my laptop to my 2112 denon AVR..

Using words from one of your replies. How do i get internet to my receiver? Being in Hawaii it is hard to call back east mainland for support.
post #15 of 20 Old 07-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Hey, don't you just need a way to use a LAN cable to connect your Denon to a router so you have networking? Not sure if you have a router plugged in right behind the modem but this is how normally things are setup. You setup a Wireless router right behind the modem and network all your devices (wireless and wired) to the router so they can all share your internet connection. So...

1. Setup a router behind your modem
2. Connect all devices to your router
3. For your Denon, I see it has an RJ-45 port. Use this port to connect a wire to your router.
4. If it is not easy to connect a wire from your Denon due to distance, consider an Ethernet over Powerline kit. It allows you network devices using the powerline in your house. Today only, Monoprice.com has their in-house kit on sale. Here is today's deal: http://monoprice.com/home/promo.asp?pn=10_anniversary_sale

Good luck.
post #16 of 20 Old 07-28-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not sure what you are talking about, but the Airport express does EXACTLY allow you to do what you want without running cables. Not only can it send iTunes audio to your 2112, but you can connect your 2112 to the Airports Ethernet jack, using the Airport as an access point.
post #17 of 20 Old 07-30-2012, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

It's amazing what a difference a day makes. Bowmah, where were you when I was pulling my hair out over what i knew was not that hard a problem in itself or to understand?. The key was the Denon has to be wired. But the AE had such a dinky looking wire for connection plus the $50 difference in it and the Netgear I just returned the AE.

Now just to show what a dork I am it took me 3 hours to get the Netgear N300 working. Took me 20 minutes to get it out of the box and wires connected. This was after being assured by the peach fuzzed faced salesguy at Radio Shack it would be "pretty simple". I still haven't gone back to do double duty on what was wrong.The operative word here is "working". Missed the opening of the Olympics. Got it all going for the most part and listening to music I spent all Sunday selecting and downloading . That was fun. Reliving college days and all.

All this so that when my NHT 12d Sub shows up I'll be in biz. Gotta get Jurassic Park bluray. Some scenes filmed right up the street from where i live.

I think some people know the stuff so well they forget that if ur asking advice here then u may not know the difference between ethernet and a power cord.

Prime example right here.
Thanks to all.
Now already wondering about the quality of sound from iTunes. It never stops
post #18 of 20 Old 07-31-2012, 02:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

It's amazing what a difference a day makes. Bowmah, where were you when I was pulling my hair out over what i knew was not that hard a problem in itself or to understand?. The key was the Denon has to be wired. But the AE had such a dinky looking wire for connection plus the $50 difference in it and the Netgear I just returned the AE.
Now just to show what a dork I am it took me 3 hours to get the Netgear N300 working. Took me 20 minutes to get it out of the box and wires connected. This was after being assured by the peach fuzzed faced salesguy at Radio Shack it would be "pretty simple". I still haven't gone back to do double duty on what was wrong.The operative word here is "working". Missed the opening of the Olympics. Got it all going for the most part and listening to music I spent all Sunday selecting and downloading . That was fun. Reliving college days and all.
All this so that when my NHT 12d Sub shows up I'll be in biz. Gotta get Jurassic Park bluray. Some scenes filmed right up the street from where i live.
I think some people know the stuff so well they forget that if ur asking advice here then u may not know the difference between ethernet and a power cord.
Prime example right here.
Thanks to all.
Now already wondering about the quality of sound from iTunes. It never stops

Based on your reply, I am not sure my advice helped smile.gif But glad you got it working. Now stop worrying and start enjoying!
post #19 of 20 Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post

Based on your reply, I am not sure my advice helped smile.gif But glad you got it working. Now stop worrying and start enjoying!

I did exactly as u suggest it's just I finally figured it out a day before.
post #20 of 20 Old 08-03-2012, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Good think you've got it working. I was about to draw a diagram for you biggrin.gif I don't have any of my devices connection to my router at all. I've got a 8 port gigabit switch that has all of my devices connected. My ISP (U-Verse) is only use for internet connection, my Netgear 8 port switch handles all of the LAN traffic. The U-Verse modem/router handles wireless internet too.

U-Verse Modem / router >>>>>netgear 8 port gigabit switch>>>>W7 PC, Dune D1,Xbox Slim, PS3, 5 port gigabit Trendnet switch>>>>>PCH-A210, Xbox 360

Home Theater Set Up:

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page