Music server suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 07-20-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello,

I would like to start getting listening to FLAC music and would like to get a music server for my HT (I have a pre pro Integra 80.3).

I'm just starting my research.. Currently looking at Olive 06HD... I would like something like this where you can use my IPad/IPhone to navigate music selections, play hi res music and see album work on screen... but at the same time... It would be nice if I can watch Blu Ray movies too. Still getting more info on Olive... I don't know If I'm able to watch Blu Ray on this device.

Thanks in advance.

Fronts: B&W CM8
Center: B&W CM Center
Surround: B&W CM1
JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-20-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
www.sonos.com
post #3 of 22 Old 07-20-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

www.sonos.com

Thanks for the suggestion... The only problem is that Sonos only supports up to 16bit/48KHz over the network... Ideally I would like it to support 24bit/96KHz.

I'm putting Sonos on top of my list primarly due to IPad/IPhone interaction... but would like to hear other suggestions that can support 24bit/96KHz.

JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #4 of 22 Old 07-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Squeezbox supports up to 24/96, is on sale at Vann's through today for $229. ipeng for ipad/iphone is supposed to be great. Ordered one the other day. I've been using my Oppo 93 with a 2TB drive full of flac, too cumbersome to navigate with that many files.
post #5 of 22 Old 07-20-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

Squeezbox supports up to 24/96, is on sale at Vann's through today for $229. ipeng for ipad/iphone is supposed to be great. Ordered one the other day. I've been using my Oppo 93 with a 2TB drive full of flac, too cumbersome to navigate with that many files.

Looked up SqueezeBox.... Although it supports 24/96, a little concerned about IPad app... If I use my pre pro... do I need to buy a separate DAC to get 24/96 ?

JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #6 of 22 Old 07-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike9876 View Post

Looked up SqueezeBox.... Although it supports 24/96, a little concerned about IPad app... If I use my pre pro... do I need to buy a separate DAC to get 24/96 ?
Depends on what your pre/pro supports. I'm planning on using the digital output to my Anthem receiver. Can also use the analog out for a second zone. Why the concern about the ipad app? It's mainly just to control the squeezebox, although you can get a player on it as well.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-20-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Depends on what your pre/pro supports. I'm planning on using the digital output to my Anthem receiver. Can also use the analog out for a second zone. Why the concern about the ipad app? It's mainly just to control the squeezebox, although you can get a player on it as well.

My pre/pro supports up to 32bit/192KHz... but I wasn't sure if I needed to get something else...

My concern is that... checking app store reviews, the "Logitech Squeezebox" app does not appear to have a good user rating... but this may not reflect how it performs...

JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #8 of 22 Old 07-20-2012, 12:13 PM

Liked: 10
Look up Vortexbox. That is the way to go. Uses the squeezebox app for control.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My pre/pro supports up to 32bit/192KHz... but I wasn't sure if I needed to get something else...
My concern is that... checking app store reviews, the "Logitech Squeezebox" app does not appear to have a good user rating... but this may not reflect how it performs...
ipeng app is supposed to be much much better.
post #10 of 22 Old 07-20-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

ipeng app is supposed to be much much better.

Yes, this looks better... smile.gif

JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #11 of 22 Old 07-20-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragodrago View Post

Look up Vortexbox. That is the way to go. Uses the squeezebox app for control.

Will check this.

JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #12 of 22 Old 07-20-2012, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

OK... So the vortex box is basically a storage device that can be used with ipeng app... In order to get 24bit/96KHz, Is it better to use in conjuction with SqueezeBox ?

JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #13 of 22 Old 07-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Squeezebox has two components, software and hardware. The server software can run on a squeezebox touch, any computer you have around, or something like vortexbox. You hook up a hard drive to the device running the server software. If you don't have a computer, you can hook the HD up to a squeezebox touch directly, but I hear it doesn't work as well that way.
I'm going to run the server on an imac I have in another room that is connected to my wifi network, using an external HD. The touch will hook up directly to my audio system. ipeng is used to control it or you can use the touch screen or the remote that comes with it.
Squeezebox also has apps such as Mog, spotify, sirius/XM, internet radio, etc. Some require subscriptions.
You can set up multiple zones by adding additional squeezeboxes, touch, SB radio, etc.
The software finds the music on the drives on your system and indexes them. You can browse with the ipad app and see the associated artwork.
Vortexbox is not a storage device, it's a small computer that can run the server software and has a port to hook up a hardrive and to connect to your network. There are other similar devices out there.
post #14 of 22 Old 07-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

correction, vortexbox is Linux based software that turns a computer into a music server that can run squeezebox serve.r.
post #15 of 22 Old 07-20-2012, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

www.sonos.com

What he said and it has a 30 day return policy. I would bet a fair sum that after using it you'll quickly forget about higher resolutions.

Jgiddyup
post #16 of 22 Old 07-20-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Squeezebox has two components, software and hardware. The server software can run on a squeezebox touch, any computer you have around, or something like vortexbox. You hook up a hard drive to the device running the server software. If you don't have a computer, you can hook the HD up to a squeezebox touch directly, but I hear it doesn't work as well that way.
I'm going to run the server on an imac I have in another room that is connected to my wifi network, using an external HD. The touch will hook up directly to my audio system. ipeng is used to control it or you can use the touch screen or the remote that comes with it.
Squeezebox also has apps such as Mog, spotify, sirius/XM, internet radio, etc. Some require subscriptions.
You can set up multiple zones by adding additional squeezeboxes, touch, SB radio, etc.
The software finds the music on the drives on your system and indexes them. You can browse with the ipad app and see the associated artwork.
Vortexbox is not a storage device, it's a small computer that can run the server software and has a port to hook up a hardrive and to connect to your network. There are other similar devices out there.

I think i got this... I had checked amazon and I saw a vortexbox with 1TB... So I thought it was a storage device...

What you are saying is that I can connect an external HD (I prefer this method) to my PC and install the vortex software(linux based) and then connect Squeezebox to my pre/pro and I'll be able to use ipeng app. My only concern with this... Usually, when I try to access my PC via network (DLNA) it seems a bit slow... Do I need to have a Linux PC or is OK I have a windows PC (Windows 7) ?

JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #17 of 22 Old 07-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think i got this... I had checked amazon and I saw a vortexbox with 1TB... So I thought it was a storage device...
What you are saying is that I can connect an external HD (I prefer this method) to my PC and install the vortex software(linux based) and then connect Squeezebox to my pre/pro and I'll be able to use ipeng app. My only concern with this... Usually, when I try to access my PC via network (DLNA) it seems a bit slow... Do I need to have a Linux PC or is OK I have a windows PC (Windows 7) ?
You can try it without the vortexbox, it looks like that just makes it easier to rip CDs and get the album art.
You can load squeezebox server on any pc, you can download it (just search) for free without even owning a squeezebox, you just won't be able to play it without a device (squeezebox or ipeng player). Squeezebox uses it's own method of distributing the files through your network, supposedly it works very well.
Sonos actually sets up it's own network, but it's more expensive, but supposedly very easy to use.
post #18 of 22 Old 07-20-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiddyup View Post

What he said and it has a 30 day return policy. I would bet a fair sum that after using it you'll quickly forget about higher resolutions.

Honestly, I really do like the sonos... great interface !!!

One of the reasons of getting into FLACS is to get better music... I went to check some sample FLAC musics in HDTracks... and was really impressed with the music detail... compared to Spotify... Spotify's 320Kbps was put to shame..

If I stick with 16bit/48KHz then sonos is the way to go...

I have some reservations about HDTracks website... It just sounded too good compared to some apple lossless audio I have. Hard to compare since I was not listening to to the same songs...

I found a website that I'm able to download a test song in different versions... MP3, 16BIT & 24BIT... In this test... it will be the same level playing field. When I get home tonight, I'll check these and see if I can tell a difference...

JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #19 of 22 Old 07-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

I checked out that Vortexbox on Amazon, I think you'd still need a squeezebox or other device to stream to your stereo. The real idea behind vortexbox software seems to be that you can use an old, otherwise useless computer with the free software.
It looks like the vendor that sells that Vortexbox on Amazon builds a small form factor, low energy draw computer with the vortexbox software pre-installed. Not bad if you don't have a computer to use already.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-20-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I checked out that Vortexbox on Amazon, I think you'd still need a squeezebox or other device to stream to your stereo. The real idea behind vortexbox software seems to be that you can use an old, otherwise useless computer with the free software.
It looks like the vendor that sells that Vortexbox on Amazon builds a small form factor, low energy draw computer with the vortexbox software pre-installed. Not bad if you don't have a computer to use already.

Yes, I would need a squeezebox to stream to my stereo... It's nice that I can use my PC... My only concern is how fast is the app accessing large files over the network ?

JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #21 of 22 Old 07-20-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

OK... So I checked out the comparison between high quality MP3, 16bit/44.1KHz & 24bit/48KHz (I would have liked it to have been 24/96)... I played these 3 songs on my PC and on my pre/pro (Integra 80.3) on USB input and played them on my B&W 5.2 System....

I don't know if it's my ears... Honestly... I couldn't tell the difference...

Can some one check this out and see if they can hear any difference ?
http://www.pristineclassical.com/More/DownloadFormats.html

JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #22 of 22 Old 07-21-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, No comment on the differences between mp3, 16/44KHz & 24/48KHz ? I suppose unless you've a trained ear... you really can't tell a difference ?

I suppose, if this the case... SONOS is the way to go...

JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page