What inter net speed to run VUDU at HDX (1080 p /4.3 mbps) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Being a Norwegian, this is kind of trouble to explain in a foreign language.... :-)

I have a US DNS (unblockus com), I have the DNS modified on my broadband router (Netgear N900 /wnr 4500 dualband)

I have Boxee with latest software, hardwired to the router.

I have a internett service called Super 7o -- which is supposed to give me 70 Mbps down, 10 up.

Q:

a) when streaming movies at HDX on my Boxee, from VUDU, it willl not play more than a few seconds " to low speed" says VUDU

b) the HD quality works somehow -- but every 30 mins or so -- the connection to VUDU fails -- "lost connection" says vUDU

Hmmm

what could be the problem -- do I really have too low internett speed ?
On decent speed tests, I get 65 mbps on the dropcable the Boxee is used to, I assume I get what Im paying for ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does the Vudu app on Boxee not have a speed test? Try the one on their webpage: https://vudu.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/201/kw/speed

You have to consider that Vudu's content is stored on US servers, so everything they're streaming to you has to come across the underwater cables.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryasanne View Post

...do I really have too low internett speed ?
No, your service from your internet service provider (ISP) is more than fast enough. But just because you have 70 Mbps service with your ISP doesn't mean you can maintain that rate to any given site. There are many things beyond your connection that affect the rate you can attain. FWIW Vudu customers in the USA sometimes have similar problems, and they don't have unblock-us and the Atlantic ocean between them and the servers. Sorry, I don't have a solution for you.

FWIW Vudu will be coming to parts of Europe later this year. I don't know if Norway is part of the plan.

I guess part of the blame can go to Netflix. They are responsible for something like 40% of internet traffic in the USA at peak times.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
QoS
-- what is this ??

I got an hint about this Quality of Service, and enabled it on my router. I also gave the Lan port 2 -- where my Boxee is attached - Highest priority.

It seems to improve the situation, for the first time I can watch 2 min previews wtihout dropouts :-)

Hmmm - I dont understand this QoS, did i do right, are there other router settings I could "modify" ? Any settings in my Boxee ?

About unblock us, that was just something I picked, may be there are better services ?

Regarding availiability in Norway, maybe next year, and if so -- we will get a very much truncated service. Just like Itunes -- you North Americans would be surprised if you knew how very popular the US version of Itunes really are in Norway!
post #5 of 7 Old 07-25-2012, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
QoS is a feature that allows you to prioritize traffic when there is a bottleneck. Essentially, you tell the router which type of traffic is most important to you, and it gets priority. If using it helps, you may have other things at your site competing for bandwidth.

I am not familiar with alternatives to unblock-us. It claims to be faster than VPN. Hopefully, someone who knows will chime in.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-25-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This thread is relative to my interests.

Currently asked this in the htpc area, maybe more can chime in, or maybe the answer has been given

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1420764/setting-up-qos-for-htpc

Last poster beside my response basically says qos does nothing for t streaming service?
post #7 of 7 Old 07-25-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
dryasanne: What were your results using Vudu's own speed test that I linked?

QoS won't help your situation unless you or others in your home are using the connection to do other stuff at the same time. Though it also won't hurt.

Unblock-us should perform the same as its competitor DNS services since they say the actual video traffic doesn't go through them.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming