using a wireless repeater to extend existing wifi network - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-24-2012, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have a wireless modem/router from comcast in my basement. I have a netgear 300rp repeater on the first floor. The repeater works great and give me wifi up to the 3rd floor. my issue is that my tv and denon recievers are directly connected to the comcast modem/router in the basement via rg6. My laptop, ipad have to use the signal that is repeated by the netgear 300rp. My denon recievers have airplay built in, the issue I face is that the only way I can enable airplay is if I connect to the wireless signal broadcast by the router in the basment. If i connect to the wifi broadcast by the repeater the airplay icon doesnt even pop up.

So basically my question is, is there a way for my repeater to broadcast the original signal from the router in the basment, and not create its own WIFI SSID? Does that make sense? I do have the option on directly connecting the repeater to the modem/router via rg6 cable that was run druning construction.

The problem is when sharing files or music from my laptop or ipad to my tv or denon recievers, it doesnt work unless I connect my laptop to the weak signal coming from the basment.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by itr1197 View Post

Hi, I have a wireless modem/router from comcast in my basement. I have a netgear 300rp repeater on the first floor. The repeater works great and give me wifi up to the 3rd floor. my issue is that my tv and denon recievers are directly connected to the comcast modem/router in the basement via rg6. My laptop, ipad have to use the signal that is repeated by the netgear 300rp. My denon recievers have airplay built in, the issue I face is that the only way I can enable airplay is if I connect to the wireless signal broadcast by the router in the basment. If i connect to the wifi broadcast by the repeater the airplay icon doesnt even pop up.
So basically my question is, is there a way for my repeater to broadcast the original signal from the router in the basment, and not create its own WIFI SSID? Does that make sense? I do have the option on directly connecting the repeater to the modem/router via rg6 cable that was run druning construction.
The problem is when sharing files or music from my laptop or ipad to my tv or denon recievers, it doesnt work unless I connect my laptop to the weak signal coming from the basment.
Thanks

What you need to do is replace the repeater with an Access Point. The difference is that the AP connects wired to your router and adds coverage with the same SSID and channel as your original router. This will make one big wireless network in your house.

To do this you either need to run a cable from your router to the AP (which can be another router set to the same SSID amd channel and with the DHCP server turned off). If you can get a wire use powerline devices that plug into your ac outlets. Check out http://www.netgear.com/home/products/powerline-and-coax/

This approach will create one seamless wireless network. And depending on your house you add other AP's in the same manner for further expansion.

Repeaters are easy to setup but the nature of the beast is they repeat. And as such are slower and sometimes require a separate SSID to eliminate interference.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page