Help choosing home audio/video storage and distribution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 07-27-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have looked in the forums, but am getting confused over what the ideal set up for my system should be - i.e., NAS vs. HTPC, vs. sonos/squeezebox, vs. certain players. I would like to store all my CDs (500+), DVDs (200+), and photos on some central location that I can access from my TV/stereo and all computers (wirelessly) in the house. I only need TV/stereo access in one room at the moment, but would like the ability to push to multiple rooms in the future if possible. We have some songs on our laptops, but I have not begun ripping anything in earnest yet, as I am not sure the proper setup. I would like to keep the budget around $1,000.

I currently have the following:

Pioneer Plasma
Denon AVR2112
TivoHD
Sony PS3 (also used as BD DVD player)
Xbox 360
Wii
Apple TV 2

Everything is in one cabinet (except the TV) connected by HDMI (except the Wii) to the Denon AVR2112 and the Denon is connected by HDMI to the TV.

I also have the following:

Macbook Pro
Ipad 2
Iphone 4
Asus Laptop running Windows 8 (with media center, but NO DVD drive)

Based on what I've read so far, I think the best solution may be to get a NAS and put all my files on that. Bonus is it's small and can fit in the cabinet with the rest of the stuff. Questions:

- Does that seem to work - i.e., will I be able to access all my files (mp3, dvd, photos) from the TiVo, AppleTV, Xbox, PS3, laptops, ipad?
- Would an HTPC or something else better suit my needs?
- Do I need to have a dedicated Mac/PC attached to the NAS to run everything?
- If I upgrade my Macbook to a Macbook Air, I won't have a DVD drive any more - can my PS3 rip files? Are there any NASes with DVD drives built in?
- How much space will I need - 6TB?

If the NAS is the way to go, what do you recommend as the best way to access my files - the Denon over Airplay (if possible), TiVo, AppleTV, PS3, Xbox?

Thanks in advance!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page