Marrying PS3, XBMC and NAS Server - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-27-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I could use a little help deciding how to proceed with my home theater system. I currently have about 100 DVDs saved in ISO format to a 2TB ReadyNAS NV drive. In my old setup, this was hardwired via ethernet to an original Xbox running XBMC. I also had a nettop in a second room running a Linux XBMC. This worked great, but I decided to get ambitious when we moved and wanted to move up to Blu-Ray capability (this is usually the point where I start to mess up things that are working well). Thus, I purchased a Playstation 3, hoping I could both play Blu-Ray discs and continue to stream my existing library using the PS3. The PS3 is connected via ethernet to my router, which is connected via ethernet to the NAS. Sadly, I failed to do my homework and now realize that the PS3 won't stream my ISO library natively via DLNA. My old-school NAS drive doesn't have the processor speed to run a media server program that would transcode the ISOs (e.g., Plex). I don't want to put a computer in the home theater set-up, as that defeats my thinking of using the PS3 as an all-in-one that could handle everything. And I don't want to run Plex media server or PS3 media server on my existing laptop, because it only has a wireless connection and I want to avoid using a wireless connection when the PS3 and NAS are hardwired. Also, frankly, after six years of using the XBMC, I find the PS3 native interface rather lackluster. Sure, it streams my music and non-ISO videos, but it just seems wrong to have such an ugly interface AFTER a substantial upgrade in hardware capability. I'm trying to avoid buying yet another device, so I don't really want to buy a content streamer, even though I know they look better and can stream ISOs. For reference, I have the PS3 hooked up via HDMI to a mid-level Denon receiver which is hooked up via HDMI to my 42" Pioneer plasma TV and to a Definitive soundbar. We also have latest generation Android phones, which I understand sport some DLNA capability. BTW, I continue to have and want to continue using the XBMC nettop in another room.

My priorities for the home theater are to get access to my current movies through the PS3 and the nettop running XBMC, but also to plan for the future when I might want to rip and stream Blu-Rays or upgrade my speaker set-up to 7.1. Right now, I'm thinking that I will convert my ISO files to a format native to the PS3, so that I can continue to stream via DLNA directly from the NAS. Given the desire to avoid transcoding and use the XBMC nettop and possibly Android phones, which format would you recommend? High quality MP4? I'd also appreciating hearing any thoughts you may have on whether it's worth installing a media server (PS3 media server, Twonky, etc.) on my old NAS; I know it can't handle transcoding but maybe it could deliver a better interface/user experience? Maybe there's some Android app for the NAS and Android phone where I can control the PS3 streaming through a pretty Android interface?

Eventually I'm thinking I'll buy a new NAS with more memory and a processor that can handle transcoding plus handle a multiple camera surveillance system, but for now I'm willing to live with the ugly native PS3 interface and convert my files, if I must. I'm amazed at how poorly the PS3 fares against an ancient Xbox OG running XBMC...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-27-2012, 04:17 PM

Liked: 12
I also created a thread asking similar question with similar requirement like no transcoding, rich interface. No one replied yet, so it looks like at this point there are no perfect solution. However I have done extensive research after that and it looks like, your best bet without converting your entire library is to use the latest WD TV live streaming with some scraping software like thumbggen. Or you can wait for all these zombie xbmc devices being developed with sigma chip set. Xios ds Or the soon to be released xios xs looks to be good contender as well. I have a dell zino which is okay till 720p with 5.1 audio bit streaming. I am getting an urge to buy the WD TV, but thinking to wait for a good xbmc based device.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-28-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
I used to use my PS3 and Xbox 360 to stream my movies, but it was a tedious process. I used Handbrake to encode all my movies to M4V / MP4 format. My xbox and PS3 were able to recognize the files, and they played them wired and wireless. However, it used to take my over 4 hours to encode a BD movie, and a little over an hour to encode a DVD movie.

With XBOX you can use the Windows Media Center with MyMovies to get a movie wall, but it is pretty slow when you have a large collection. In my personal opinion and experience, the PS3 and XBOX are probably the best video game consoles, and the PS3 probably one of the best bluray players out there. I don't use them for streaming movie anymore.

If you want an inexpensive media player that will recognize ISO's and play HD sound, I would recommend the discontinued Netgear NeoTV550. I believe you may be able to find it new for $80 dollars. However, it doesn't have a jukebox. Another inexpensive media player that will recognize BD ISO's is Micca EP600 G2 for $120.00 dollar on www.amazon.com.

At first, I was like you and I didn't want to spend too much money...then I ended up buying a PCH-A300, Mede8er MED500X2, AIOS, Dune and PCH-A210. I even built my own unRaid server for storing my movies and streaming them throughout the house.biggrin.gif

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-30-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. It's so frustrating that there isn't one device to do everything well. The PS3 was occasionally billed as that device, but the interface is meh and the lack of ISO support disappointing.

I'm still hoping that some of the newer NAS servers can run some media server software that not only transcodes with aplomb but can present an interface approaching XBMC.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-30-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post

Thanks for the responses. It's so frustrating that there isn't one device to do everything well. The PS3 was occasionally billed as that device, but the interface is meh and the lack of ISO support disappointing.
I'm still hoping that some of the newer NAS servers can run some media server software that not only transcodes with aplomb but can present an interface approaching XBMC.

Plex is a pretty nice media server. It will transcode on the fly if the format is not supported, and it also has a jukebox. I ran it in my W7 PC just to test the scraping capabilities, and I was impressed. It scrapped all of my movies (over 300) with 100% accuracy! I was going to buy the Plex App for my android phone, but I ended up forgetting about it, and uninstalled it.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #6 of 13 Old 08-02-2012, 07:30 PM

AverageJoe - I have a similar (and recent) post going myself, very similar setup and very similar issues. I am not trying to hijack your post but any info you or I get might benefit us both. My string is listed as "Basic Content Streaming Help"

Here is my current setup:
PC:
Windows Vista 64 Home Premium HP Media PC - AMD Phenom 9150e Quad Core 1.80Ghz/4GB RAM
XBMC EDEN - AEON NOX Skin installed to PC
Connected over WiFi to FiOS Router

NAS:
WD MyBook Live 2TB over WiFi w/ Twonky

Main AV Config:
Pioneer VSX 52 AVR - UPnP/DLNA certified hard wired to VZ FIOS Router
Sony PS3 hard wired to VZ FIOS Router
Samsung 50' DLP

Bedroom AV Config:
Samsung WiFi Network BluRay
Samsung 36' LCDTV

Trying to figure out my next step to determine the best file type to rip and store with the best audio/video playback over the PS3. I also have DVD Decrypter which rips to ISO and Handbrake to compress if needed. I have read good and bad on Handbrake. I wonder if this is the best choice for ripping to my NAS and then just config the PS3 to play the file. I have a tutorial on PS3 Media Server (PMS) from http://www.ps3mediaserver.org to get that set up. Wondering if I will still be able to use XBMC to manage the collection and make the file selection that will trigger the NAS to stream to the PS3?
post #7 of 13 Old 08-03-2012, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanDef View Post

AverageJoe - I have a similar (and recent) post going myself, very similar setup and very similar issues. I am not trying to hijack your post but any info you or I get might benefit us both. My string is listed as "Basic Content Streaming Help"
Here is my current setup:
PC:
Windows Vista 64 Home Premium HP Media PC - AMD Phenom 9150e Quad Core 1.80Ghz/4GB RAM
XBMC EDEN - AEON NOX Skin installed to PC
Connected over WiFi to FiOS Router
NAS:
WD MyBook Live 2TB over WiFi w/ Twonky
Main AV Config:
Pioneer VSX 52 AVR - UPnP/DLNA certified hard wired to VZ FIOS Router
Sony PS3 hard wired to VZ FIOS Router
Samsung 50' DLP
Bedroom AV Config:
Samsung WiFi Network BluRay
Samsung 36' LCDTV
Trying to figure out my next step to determine the best file type to rip and store with the best audio/video playback over the PS3. I also have DVD Decrypter which rips to ISO and Handbrake to compress if needed. I have read good and bad on Handbrake. I wonder if this is the best choice for ripping to my NAS and then just config the PS3 to play the file. I have a tutorial on PS3 Media Server (PMS) from http://www.ps3mediaserver.org to get that set up. Wondering if I will still be able to use XBMC to manage the collection and make the file selection that will trigger the NAS to stream to the PS3?

You will not be able to stream 1080p BD high bitrate movies over wireless. You will have to encode your BD movies with Handbrake and compress them. I already did a couple of test with Handbrake for someone else. I was able to stream them wireless, but you will lose picture quality and you will have to skip HD sound tracks. You are better off ripping DVD movies with 5.1 sound track. You will be able to stream these wireless without issues. It took me approximately 4hrs and 15 min. to encode one BD movies with Handbrake.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #8 of 13 Old 08-03-2012, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's the link to the thread where I conducted the encoding test with Handbrake with HD Sound and best possible picture quality. If you encode your movies to M4V format, the PS3 will recognize and play the file.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1421390/creating-a-bd-rip-for-atv-about-the-same-size-as-apple-downloads

Home Theater Set Up:

post #9 of 13 Old 08-03-2012, 09:55 PM

Thanks GusGus - I used Handbrake, ripped a few DVDs to M4V, updated/reorganized XBMC and my NAS and it works flawlessly. Takes about an hour per DVD. Sound and video quality is just like the DVD. I can access XBMC right from the PS3 media control and it is good enough for what I am looking for (for now).
post #10 of 13 Old 08-04-2012, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks GusGus - I used Handbrake, ripped a few DVDs to M4V, updated/reorganized XBMC and my NAS and it works flawlessly. Takes about an hour per DVD. Sound and video quality is just like the DVD. I can access XBMC right from the PS3 media control and it is good enough for what I am looking for (for now).

Thats good news.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #11 of 13 Old 08-06-2012, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wait, now I'm thoroughly confused. You have XBMC appearing on your PS3? I was under the impression that XBMC was a client that received and organized media content, not a streaming service like PS3media server or Plex media server. How did you get XBMC on your PS3? That's exactly what I want, only I am accessing my files from an NAS that is too slow to run transcoding itself so if you're running a Linux XBMC on your NAS I might still be screwed.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-07-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post

Wait, now I'm thoroughly confused. You have XBMC appearing on your PS3? I was under the impression that XBMC was a client that received and organized media content, not a streaming service like PS3media server or Plex media server. How did you get XBMC on your PS3? That's exactly what I want, only I am accessing my files from an NAS that is too slow to run transcoding itself so if you're running a Linux XBMC on your NAS I might still be screwed.

Sorry if it was misinterpreted, that is what i originally wanted but from other sources validated that it can not happen. Would be nice though!
post #13 of 13 Old 10-12-2012, 10:35 PM

Just joined forum in order to reply to this thread. I am not sure if anyone has tried it but I am currently working on integrating XBMC library and add-ons using PS3 Media Server (PMS), Jumpy (PMS Plugin for XBMC add-ons), PMS-XBMC (PMS Plugin for integrating XBMC library via it's databases) and of course my PS3. The content flow looks something like this; XBMC Library>PMS-XBMC Plugin>PS3 Media Server. In the case of using the Jumpy plugin it would look something more like this; Internet Content>XBMC Streaming Add-Ons>Jumpy Plugin>PS3 Media Server. There is also the option of using the Channels PMS Plugin which is a broader solution for streaming content from the internet. They were developed in close proximity to the other so I am sure there are several things in common between the two. I need to make absolutely certain that it is understood that the Universal Media Server (UMS) software package is a fork off of the PS3 Media Server project and can take the place of PMS completely in these scenarios. I have had some success with all three scenarios described above but I sure could use some help getting it all tweaked. Using my PS3 in conjunction with PMS/UMS, I am able to access and play content from the XBMC library as well as playing directly from the Internet through the Jumpy PMS/UMS plugin and XBMC's most awesome streaming solutions (1Channel, Project Free TV, What the Furk, Icefilms, Etc.). I cannot close without mentioning the Channels plugin for PMS/UMS. It was released long before Jumpy or any of the other utilities we speak of here, with the exception of PMS of course. Channels is an awesome piece of coding which integrates Icefilms, Navi-X and a host of different content providers with PMS and allows you to stream them for enjoyment on your PS3.

I wrote this to give a high level summary so that anyone interested could checkout the named solutions. If anyone would like to try to help me or if I can be of further help be sure to try and reach me.

Peace!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page