Help Needed - Cannot Stream From my DLink DNS323 Anymore - Was working like a charm... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-28-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had used these forums a lot to get answers, but now Im truly stumped so I am posting. Sorry if this question had been raised before or if I come off as a complete noob. I did search and could not find a similar issue.

My Setup.

I have had a DNS323 for quite some time. It had been used 100% to support my sonos system and backup files. I never even tried to stream to my PS3. Recently I had a Samsung SMART TV, a Yamaha RX-V671 Receiver, and of course my PS3, so I updated the firmware to the latest (1.1 I believe) and enabled the UPnP server.

This worked like a charm. I could see all my pics and videos on my Samsung and ps3, and music through the receiver (as well as tv and ps3)

Then I realized after a month that no new files were showing up. I looked around for how to refresh and really could not find a lot of good info, so I logged into the web client for the DNS 323 and found the manual refresh. After a very long time, it finished. Now all of a sudden, no files show up on any device. I can see the DLINK DNS323, but there are no files and no folders showing up.

I have tried the basic Noob tech support. I rebooted everything, disabled and re-enabled the sharing and still no luck. I looked for help relative to the DNS and was told to restructure my files. I knew this was not the issue since it worked before, but I still did it. Made a "multimedia" folder and then a music, pictures and movies folder. I also changed the UPnP settings from "Root" to the new "multimedia" folder.

I still have zero luck. Can see the NAS on my devices, but cannot see files or folders. I know its not any device, because they all act the same way in what they show and see.

I am completely at a loss now. I'm hoping this is a quick fix and someone can point me in the right direction. Besides getting access once again to my files, what is the normal process to updating for new files placed on my DNS323?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-28-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 592
How is your DNS connected to your network? Ethernet cable? Have you tried using a different method like connecting via usb to your PC and see if you can access your files that way?

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3 of 10 Old 07-28-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, its Ethernet into my router. I have no issues seeing the files when using it as a shared drive from any PC. Also my Sonos plays them fine. Its when I try to see them through the UPnP stream to my TV, PS3, etc. That was working fine, and ceased ever since I did the refresh on the DNS web utility
post #4 of 10 Old 07-28-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I see. I thought you weren't able to see your files at all. Have your tried turning your devices all off. Then turn the router on first, and then the other devices.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #5 of 10 Old 07-28-2012, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, also toggled the disable and enable for the streaming on each device in the process.

Devices see the DNS, just show it as having no files or folders.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-28-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Does the DNS have share permission? For example, with my unRaid server, I had to run a permission script or else none of my devices would be able to see my shares. Probably try to do share via PC for everyone to have access to your NAS.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #7 of 10 Old 07-28-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

so I created a new folder on my DNS323 with just a few files and pointed the UPnP settings to that folder. The index took about 5 mins instead of the usual hour. It worked like a charm.

Not sure why this will not work with my larger media folder anymore (about 300gb of files)

Are there any known issues with the drive regarding the amount of media?

Are there other options to help this? I had heard rolling the firmware back to 1.09 will also help
post #8 of 10 Old 07-28-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc679 View Post

I had heard rolling the firmware back to 1.09 will also help

I think that's your answer. I didn't upgrade mine past 1.08 I think for similar reasons. No longer have it but there were issues with the newest firmware upgrades.

philip
post #9 of 10 Old 07-29-2012, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

I think that's your answer. I didn't upgrade mine past 1.08 I think for similar reasons. No longer have it but there were issues with the newest firmware upgrades.
philip

I tried rolling back to 1.09. The refresh of the file index actually took just a s long, over an hour. I can now see the folder I set up (I called in Multimedia), but no sub folders, and no files.

Something tells me this may have something to do with the long indexing. It never goes through each number, after like 15% or so it just says finished. If itsnot finishing the index, maybe that is why it is not showing the files.

Ill try 1.08 today
post #10 of 10 Old 11-13-2012, 01:06 AM

Hello kc679,

did you finally got a solution for your problem ?
I recently got the same problem as you did. I also have a DNS-323 and wanted to stream my videos that are on it to my smart TV.
This worked after I enabled the UPnP server and set a 'Multimedia' folder in which my videos were located.
Everything worked fine (also on my iPad), but I also noticed after a while that new videos and folders weren't shown on my TV or iPad.
I tried several things (refreshing, selected the root again, rebooting the DNS-323, ...) but nothing worked.
My DNS-323 has firmware version 1.07.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page