post #31 of 35 Old 08-04-2012, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Hook it to the PC and go to a command window and run "X: chkdsk" on it first. See what it reports back, my guess is volume bitmap error if the drive shows up but you don't actually see any data on it, then run "X: chkdsk /f" Replace "X" with the actual drive letter windows assigns to it.
Bill
Your suggestion was correct but your syntax was wrong.
Today, another disc had same problems. I went to support.microsoft.com and found that the correct command is: chkdsk /f :
It worked! I wish I had klnown and tried the correct sequence, yesterday! Unfortunately, I have already reformated the first drive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 08-04-2012, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post

You might have a point about the controller. I am now going to open the drive and put it in a different controller and then report back to you.
I did hook it up to a linux and a windowx xp computer. Neither could read the disc anymore.
error message "The file or directory is corrupted and is unreadable"
I did a quickformat on the previous drive and recopied my files and it works fine now.
I am 100% sure that it's the oppo. This is the second drive in 2 days.
I guess I have to buy the Dune.. Know anyone with a used Dune?
The oppo is certainly a great player.. The sound quality was clearly superior - even without A/B testing.
I am not so sure about the picture quality, yet. I need to get two identical BD discs and do a/b switching with my panasonic bd
I don't know how you can say for sure "I am 100% sure it is the oppo" as plenty of us here have had no problems at all. Not saying that it couldn't be. it just seems odd.
I might have an extra D1 Dune for sale if I get the MAX unit my brother has. I will let you know..
post #33 of 35 Old 08-04-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

1. I used the two external drives exclusively with OPPO. I did NOT connect them to the computer at all.
2. Only after I noticed a problem did I connect the drives to the computer, which showed immediately, corrupted file structure.
That's why I am sure that it was the OPPO.
chkdsk /f drive: works perfectly to fix the issue. I downloaded about 6 disc recovery "try before you buy" software - not one of them could identify and resolve this simple issue.

Let me know about the Dune. How ever, now that I know how to fix disc errors, I am going to try and use the OPPO for a while, for .iso files. I don't know whether or not I would need the dune. The oppo sound was noticeably superb. I have not yet tried the video a/b and toslink Vs 5.1 analog audio connection.

Of course, this time, I will use only discs which have been fully backed up! lol.
post #34 of 35 Old 08-05-2012, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by o z o n e View Post

I have also seen this, I think that I was to fast when removing the drive from OPPO (after exit the meny to the home screen and power down).
When trying to access the drive via USB on my Windows 7 PC it fires up an wizard that informs that the drive is corrupted and need a reformat.
I did not want to reformat (no backups!) and declined the wizard as I thought that it had to be another solution.
After doing some thinking I decided to boot the PC with the problematic drive connected via SATA instead of USB.
I dont remember exactly, but when the drive now was attached via SATA windows automatically detected that it was corrupted (during boot?) and launched a disk repair that was done in less than a minute.
The drive was then available and has since worked flawlessly on both the OPPO/PC. After this incident I always let the drive sit in the powered USB/SATA dock for a few minutes and make sure it has spinned down before removing it.
edit: added drive info
Dock: SI-7908SUS
Drive: WD20EARX
Firmware: sep 2011
post #35 of 35 Old 08-05-2012, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

email from OPPO customer service. They replied within 10 hours, on a sunday!

"Are you using a Windows computer or a Macintosh computer when transferring the files? If you are using a Macintosh computer and using Tuxero to transfer the files to a NTFS formatted drive, then this is possibly an issue with the Tuxero software when using the newer versions of OS X.

We have been using the BDP-93 with several external harddrives with the 61-1219 firmware and have not experienced similar issues with the drives becoming corrupt. All of our drives are formatted as NTFS and all drives are simply removed from the player (even in the middle of file playback). Inserting the drives into a Windows 7 PC does not result in any corrupted data.

If the drives are formatted using FAT32, then data corruption may be possible as FAT32 allows the player to read and write data. NTFS is read only on our players.

If at all possible do not go through your switch/hub. Connect the drives direct to the player to ensure that there is no error associated to the switch/hub causing corruptions of the harddrives.

When using USB we generally recommend using drives which are externally powered to ensure that they are getting enough electricity into them. We primarily use external docks and Seagate external solutions, so we do not know how well Western Digital devices work with the player.

We also do not recommend using switches or hubs as they can cause communication problems with the drives. Sometimes the player is not able to see past the USB microcontroller, which will result in the player not being able to detect the attached USB devices.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc."
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page