"Complex" Slingbox Setup & Related Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-29-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello AVS community

I live in Canada and I am about to send a slingbox pro-HD to a family member living in the US who has DirecTV. You guys have amazing televesion compared to the overpriced crap we get up here.

Once the slingbox is connected with the DirecTV receiver I hope to use the Internet to watch DirecTV on my Android phone and TV.

I am seeking advice on how well this set up will work.

1. I would like to know how well 720p streams over HSPA+ network using the paid Slingplayer Mobile app? Does it lag pretty often? From reading around they haven't updated this app in a while so I am a little concerned. Doesn't help I missed out on the 50% off sale, how often does that go on sale?

2. At home on TV, would streaming 720p/1080i slingbox content lag on a 25mpbs down/2.5mbps up connection? I get the advertised speeds. I only have experience streaming 720p mkv file to my PS3 using PS Media Server but that's within the network at home.

3. I've a HTPC connected to the TV but would rather use PS3 or another media player/set-top box. Which way to achieve the best results? What's the best bang-for-buck media player that can either watch it through the Slingplayer website or the free slingplayer app? I've owned a PBO and Boxee Box.

4. I understand only one app/player can view it at a time (excluding the source?). Can you still change the channel/volume/settings through the app/players?

That's all the questions I can think of right now..thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

bump
there's gotta be some slingbox enthusiasts on here!
post #3 of 5 Old 08-02-2012, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

t
post #4 of 5 Old 08-03-2012, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

60 views and no reply?? Did I post in the wrong forum or does the AVS just not like to help out newbs?
post #5 of 5 Old 08-06-2012, 06:18 PM

I use my Pro-HD with my laptop and my Boxee Box. It works flawlessly with Boxee and very good with my PC. I use the Very Good video setting as the HD setting causes graphics to look a little less sharp. My streaming speed is 25 to 30 mbps. You will need to set up port forwarding on the router your SB is plugged into, and don`t have an HDMI cable coming out of the Directv box feeding your A/V or TV. The built-in copyright protection on the HDMI cable will eventually kick in and you`ll lose your video.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page