Suggestions for a High Res Music Server - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-02-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would like to get suggestions for a music server that plays at least 24bit / 96KHz.

A must for music server is the ability to play either Spotify or MOG & ability to control with IPad.

I will be getting a NAS soon and will be connecting to my router.

I did consider SONOS, but really want the ability to play higher res music.
Music servers that I'm currently looking at are Autonomic MMS-2 & Logitech Transporter SE.

I do like that the Transporter seems to have a good DAC... Not sure if I would need to buy a DAC for Autonomic.

I will be connecting to my pre-pro Integra 80.3.

A nice to have is the ability to play Blu Ray from a NAS... But don't know if this is possible with a music server (most music servers only have audio output and no video). I suppose I can play Blu Ray stored in a NAS from my OPPO 93 but would be nice to have all in one.

Thanks in advance.

Fronts: B&W CM8
Center: B&W CM Center
Surround: B&W CM1
JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Squeezebox touch. Install the server on any computer in your house that's on your network and hook the touch up to your Integra with digital. If you're going to use Audyssey, the Integra will just convert analog inputs to digital anyway. The ipeng app for the ipad works great.
Some NAS can run the server software, check with Logitech or the slimdevices forum to see what specifically you would need.
I just set one up about a week ago, works great. I'm using a 2TB hard drive into an imac.
I was using my Oppo, but navigating through 50k songs is tedious at best, it's a piece of cake with ipeng.
As a side benefit, I'm using the analog outputs from the touch to run a second zone for outdoor speakers.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-03-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

Squeezebox touch. Install the server on any computer in your house that's on your network and hook the touch up to your Integra with digital. If you're going to use Audyssey, the Integra will just convert analog inputs to digital anyway. The ipeng app for the ipad works great.
Some NAS can run the server software, check with Logitech or the slimdevices forum to see what specifically you would need.
I just set one up about a week ago, works great. I'm using a 2TB hard drive into an imac.
I was using my Oppo, but navigating through 50k songs is tedious at best, it's a piece of cake with ipeng.
As a side benefit, I'm using the analog outputs from the touch to run a second zone for outdoor speakers.

I had considered Squeezebox touch... but wasn't sure if it can play 24bit from NAS ?

Don't have a NAS yet, but I'm currently thinking on getting Synology 212+ (Synology has the option to download the "Logitech Media Server")

Squeezbox Touch and Transporter from Logitech are very similar except that the Transporter has a better DAC.

JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #4 of 5 Old 08-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The Touch will play up to 96/24 and there are software mods that will play higher resolutions.
I got my Touch for $220, the Transporter is $1000 more. I'd just use the DAC in your Integra, I doubt you'd hear a difference.
I've only found a few files that the Oppo will play where the Touch won't; 196/24 (my Touch is not modified) and some 5.1 Flac (it plays, but not in surround). The server software has a DLNA option so you can still play those on the Oppo.
Check out forums.slimdevices.com, there's lots of info on there and helpful folks who can answer specific questions.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-03-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

The Touch will play up to 96/24 and there are software mods that will play higher resolutions.
I got my Touch for $220, the Transporter is $1000 more. I'd just use the DAC in your Integra, I doubt you'd hear a difference.
I've only found a few files that the Oppo will play where the Touch won't; 196/24 (my Touch is not modified) and some 5.1 Flac (it plays, but not in surround). The server software has a DLNA option so you can still play those on the Oppo.
Check out forums.slimdevices.com, there's lots of info on there and helpful folks who can answer specific questions.

Actually, in Logitech VIP store you can get Trasnporter for 1K. So, its about $800 diff smile.gif

I will go check out slimdevices forum...

Thanks.

JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version