Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 08-03-2012, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Hello everyone,

I am currently renting, and my landlord is pretty awesome, and he agreed to install an alarm system for the house. We had someone attempted to break in to one of our vehicle's. They broke the glass, but the alarm went off, and the thief got his arm cut as well. I was surprise the police came over and got tiny blood samples. Furthermore, the police got a hit a couple of weeks later, and they arrested the guy.

A free weeks later, a 14 year old gang member stole my old honda civic ,which pretty much isn't hard to do since it doesn't have an alarm, no power lock / windows. Anyway, the vehicle was found, and its back and running. Now, my parents left their garage open during the day, and someone walked in and stole the brand new weed eater that I had bought a week ago. Mind you our neighborhood are pretty nice, and all of hour neighbors have lived in the same house for over 30 years.

So, I am sure due to the economy and lack of jobs people are just desperate to make a living, and the crime rate is increasing. My wife is getting concern, and even with the house alarm system she still wants more security.

So, I am thinking of may be installing a couple of security IP cameras. A few months ago, I read a thread on AVS Forum about someone installing some IP cameras and being able to access them via internet from pretty much any where they were at. Furthermore, they had some type of motions detection, which woke up the camera and took pictures, which were later sent via email to the owner.

However, I am not able to find the thread anymore. I was wondering if anyone one has such a set up? If you do can you or anyone make any recommendations? I've been looking at some Foscom cameras, which you can use wired or wireless. They also seem to be pretty affordable at less than $100 dollars per camera.

So, what I need:
1) Either wired or wireless
2) Decent picture quality for both day and night time. It doesn't need to be super duper HD quality, but good enough to recognize someone.
3) Be able to access via internet, open DNS whatever.
4) Cost....as inexpensive as possible.

Thanks you in advanced for any recommendations.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 08-03-2012, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
GusGus,
I have 9 foscam cameras installed in my house. They are GREAT. pan/tilt/ send email on alarm, all sorts of cool things you can do with them. I was gone on vacation for over a month and got pictures when the ups guy dropped off stuff on my front door!
post #3 of 48 Old 08-03-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

GusGus,
I have 9 foscam cameras installed in my house. They are GREAT. pan/tilt/ send email on alarm, all sorts of cool things you can do with them. I was gone on vacation for over a month and got pictures when the ups guy dropped off stuff on my front door!

That's awesome. Are they wired or wireless? Also, how complicated is the whole set up for picture email alerts? and lastly, which model do you recommend? I don't need anything fancy as long as I can distinguish the person's face at least.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #4 of 48 Old 08-03-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

That's awesome. Are they wired or wireless? Also, how complicated is the whole set up for picture email alerts? and lastly, which model do you recommend? I don't need anything fancy as long as I can distinguish the person's face at least.
Not hard at all. I have 5 of the F18910 and 4 of the older f18918 (i think) You can also view live via your iphone and even do rudimentary conversation using the camera with someone in your house! It is hit or miss on that though.
http://foscam.us/products/foscam-fi8910w-wireless-ip-camera.html

Oh, and all of mine are hooked up via wireless..
post #5 of 48 Old 08-03-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not hard at all. I have 5 of the F18910 and 4 of the older f18918 (i think) You can also view live via your iphone and even do rudimentary conversation using the camera with someone in your house! It is hit or miss on that though.
http://foscam.us/products/foscam-fi8910w-wireless-ip-camera.html
Oh, and all of mine are hooked up via wireless..

That's great. I'm going to go to their website and read more about them. I've got to get the wife's approval on this as well. Thanks for your help!

Also, do you have them hooked up to a NAS, server or your PC? How much storage does it need?

Home Theater Set Up:

post #6 of 48 Old 08-03-2012, 11:40 AM

Don't have them hooked up to anything but my wireless router. I don't plan on recording anything so did not need to do that. It is used for remote viewing and to tell me if it detects motion. When it does it sends me pics of the motion. Very customizable. Go read up!
post #7 of 48 Old 08-03-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Gus,

I think this is the thread you were looking for:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1402328/surveillance-for-small-business
post #8 of 48 Old 08-03-2012, 12:29 PM

Liked: 13
I'll second the Foscams.
I have 2 Foscam FI8918W (older models) for baby/babysitter remote monitoring and motion detection while on vaca or away for few days. I'm also not recording but it can be done.

Set up was simple, i used following MAC/Airport focused guide but its a good read for general understanding on what needs to be done:
http://foscam.us/forum/airport-extreme-fi8908w-setup-t111.html

My original set up was through Airport, but once i switched to Fios, i reset everything via Fios provided router which wasn't hard at all also thanks to above guide.
Mine are set up in wired mode but have wireless also set up so i can easily move it to another room where ethernet port is not available.

The dyndns part of the guide no longer valid as they don't provide free dns anymore. I'm just using ip address to access.

For our iPhones we use Foscam Surveillance Pro app, lacks 2-way audio (only has listen mode) but controls, UI and stability is by far the best imho and i tried a lot of IP Cam apps.
post #9 of 48 Old 08-03-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi Gus,
I think this is the thread you were looking for:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1402328/surveillance-for-small-business

Yeah, that was one of them. There was another one done by a computer engineer, but I think it was under the Home Theater construction thread. I thought I had subscribed to it, but apparently I didn't.
Quote:

Don't have them hooked up to anything but my wireless router. I don't plan on recording anything so did not need to do that. It is used for remote viewing and to tell me if it detects motion. When it does it sends me pics of the motion. Very customizable. Go read up!

That's pretty much what we want as well. Excellent. I will read up on it a little more, but I think I've made up my mind for it. All I've got to do is show the wife and see what she says.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evgeshais300 View Post

I'll second the Foscams.
I have 2 Foscam FI8918W (older models) for baby/babysitter remote monitoring and motion detection while on vaca or away for few days. I'm also not recording but it can be done.
Set up was simple, i used following MAC/Airport focused guide but its a good read for general understanding on what needs to be done:
http://foscam.us/forum/airport-extreme-fi8908w-setup-t111.html
My original set up was through Airport, but once i switched to Fios, i reset everything via Fios provided router which wasn't hard at all also thanks to above guide.
Mine are set up in wired mode but have wireless also set up so i can easily move it to another room where ethernet port is not available.
The dyndns part of the guide no longer valid as they don't provide free dns anymore. I'm just using ip address to access.
For our iPhones we use Foscam Surveillance Pro app, lacks 2-way audio (only has listen mode) but controls, UI and stability is by far the best imho and i tried a lot of IP Cam apps.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to get the app as well. Right now, my wife and I have Android phones, but we are waiting for the new iphone as well wink.gif.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #10 of 48 Old 08-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Those are pretty cheap cameras. The resolution is from like the 80's. Who uses 640x480 anymore? I have been using several Vivotek cameras around my house. A real monitoring system records 24/7 and doesn't worry about motion detection. My cameras record 24/7 and all the video content is saved to my unraid server. I have the video recording software setup so that it saves 2 weeks worth of video and constantly cycles. It has been pretty much plug -n- play ever since I installed it. What is good about using VIvotek is you can download their ST5701 video recording/monitoring software for free! A lot of camera manufactures only include a cheap or lite version only. And you can hook up like 32 cameras to this one software so you can view all the screens at the same time. It is very nice software and has been running as a service on my computer. They have many different models too. Trust me, those $99 cameras out there have terrible video quality. I've tried just about all of them.
post #11 of 48 Old 08-04-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

Those are pretty cheap cameras. The resolution is from like the 80's. Who uses 640x480 anymore? I have been using several Vivotek cameras around my house. A real monitoring system records 24/7 and doesn't worry about motion detection. My cameras record 24/7 and all the video content is saved to my unraid server. I have the video recording software setup so that it saves 2 weeks worth of video and constantly cycles. It has been pretty much plug -n- play ever since I installed it. What is good about using VIvotek is you can download their ST5701 video recording/monitoring software for free! A lot of camera manufactures only include a cheap or lite version only. And you can hook up like 32 cameras to this one software so you can view all the screens at the same time. It is very nice software and has been running as a service on my computer. They have many different models too. Trust me, those $99 cameras out there have terrible video quality. I've tried just about all of them.

Well, I'm on a budget. Foscom so far appears to be good enough for what I need now. Picture quality isn't HD, but at least you can recognize someone who is close enough to my house. I'm going to buy one and try it out first. I need at least 3.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #12 of 48 Old 08-05-2012, 04:22 AM

Quote:

Totally disagree about the foscam have terrible quality FOR THE PRICE. They actually have pretty darn good quality. Also, some of us don't want to be recording crap 24/7 in our houses...but to each their own
post #13 of 48 Old 08-05-2012, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Ive just bought the Vivotek SD8362e Full HD PTZ dome camera & Vivotek Full-HD Fixed cameras to intergrate with current SD PTZ/fixed cameras.. Will be using A NAS ( QNAP or Netgear) with Enterprise class HDD's for HD recording..

Regarding the Client Ive been reading that A reasonably high end PC is required when aiming for highest quality smooth motion Full-HD Real time monitoring, which I tend to agree from my early observations thus far..
Do you find that you needed higher end PC Hardware to accomplish Smooth realtime Full-HD M jpeg/ Mpeg4 monitoring from your Vivotek cameras ?..

Cheers...
post #14 of 48 Old 08-06-2012, 06:32 AM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

Ive just bought the Vivotek SD8362e Full HD PTZ dome camera & Vivotek Full-HD Fixed cameras to intergrate with current SD PTZ/fixed cameras.. Will be using A NAS ( QNAP or Netgear) with Enterprise class HDD's for HD recording..
Regarding the Client Ive been reading that A reasonably high end PC is required when aiming for highest quality smooth motion Full-HD Real time monitoring, which I tend to agree from my early observations thus far..
Do you find that you needed higher end PC Hardware to accomplish Smooth realtime Full-HD M jpeg/ Mpeg4 monitoring from your Vivotek cameras ?..
Cheers...

thats a good camera! i ordered 2 whiles ago, but they were out of stock for way too long to fix a problem, i forgot what it was, ended up with 2 geovision sd200s cameras and 3 other ones.

every vivotek camera i ordered was out of stock, so i moved on.

for the budget i've heard great things about the foscam, for that price range, i think they will be hard to beat.
post #15 of 48 Old 08-06-2012, 09:20 AM

Liked: 13
here is a snapshot from Foscam via iphone app:
post #16 of 48 Old 08-06-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evgeshais300 View Post

here is a snapshot from Foscam via iphone app:

That looks decent to me for a $100 dollar IP camera. Thanks.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #17 of 48 Old 08-06-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

That looks decent to me for a $100 dollar IP camera. Thanks.
Gusgus. 2 pack of the new foscams on sale with upgraded antennaes at foscam website..
post #18 of 48 Old 08-06-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I saw that today as well. I am still waiting on the wife's approval.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #19 of 48 Old 08-06-2012, 11:38 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Gusgus. 2 pack of the new foscams on sale with upgraded antennaes at foscam website..
I bought a 2 pack of the Foscam FI8918W (the older model) with the 9bdi antennas about a month ago. Overall, I've been quite pleased, and would say the image/video quality is pretty darn good for the price. My only complaint initially was that the color is not quite right (and not adjustable AFAIK), but I think that's due to there not being an IR filter on the lens because of the night vision. At any rate, it's not a huge deal to me. If it is important to you, you might consider the newer model (FI8910W), which includes an IR Cut filter, for $15-$20 more. Motion sensor and email alerts work well and were easy to setup. Night vision works well. Remote viewing and control using my iPhone is a breeze (I use the LiveCams Pro app). Cameras also work well with Blue Iris.

As a comparison, I bought a Panasonic BL-C131 about five or six years ago for nearly 4x the price of this Foscam model. I think they're still listed in that price range, too. Anyway, the Foscam image quality is slightly better (except for the color) & less pixelated. The Foscams have night vision; the Panasonic does not. The Foscams have a speaker along with the microphone, allowing you to communicate through the camera; the Panasonic only has a microphone. The audio quality of the Panasonic is much, much better though. I guess what I'm getting at is the Foscams really do offer quite a lot for the price. I wouldn't say they're professional grade by any means, but they definitely work well in my DIY home application.
post #20 of 48 Old 08-06-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps70w View Post

I bought a 2 pack of the Foscam FI8918W (the older model) with the 9bdi antennas about a month ago. Overall, I've been quite pleased, and would say the image/video quality is pretty darn good for the price. My only complaint initially was that the color is not quite right (and not adjustable AFAIK), but I think that's due to there not being an IR filter on the lens because of the night vision. At any rate, it's not a huge deal to me. If it is important to you, you might consider the newer model (FI8910W), which includes an IR Cut filter, for $15-$20 more. Motion sensor and email alerts work well and were easy to setup. Night vision works well. Remote viewing and control using my iPhone is a breeze (I use the LiveCams Pro app). Cameras also work well with Blue Iris.
As a comparison, I bought a Panasonic BL-C131 about five or six years ago for nearly 4x the price of this Foscam model. I think they're still listed in that price range, too. Anyway, the Foscam image quality is slightly better. The Foscams have night vision; the Panasonic does not. The Foscams have a speaker along with the microphone, allowing you to communicate through the camera; the Panasonic only has a microphone. The audio quality of the Panasonic is much, much better though. I guess what I'm getting at is the Foscams really do offer quite a lot for the price. I wouldn't say they're professional grade by any means, but they definitely work well in my DIY home application.
yes, the newer model is substantially better in the color dept. I have a bunch of both...
post #21 of 48 Old 08-06-2012, 10:39 PM

How do the Foscam branded cameras compare to the horde of direct-from-china cameras found on ebay? The prices, assuming everything goes well, are about 1/2 to 2/3 of the branded. I've also noticed a new addition that claims to do 1280x1024 but still uses a 1/4 sensor.

post #22 of 48 Old 08-07-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

Quote:

Cheers...

thats a good camera! i ordered 2 whiles ago, but they were out of stock for way too long to fix a problem, i forgot what it was, ended up with 2 geovision sd200s cameras and 3 other ones.

for the budget i've heard great things about the foscam, for that price range, i think they will be hard to beat.

Interestingly Vivotek's flagship SD8362e Full HD PTZ & AXIS flagship Q6035-E PTZ both incorporate Sony's flagship Full HD cmos sensor/ 20x-zoom module capable of over 2Km distance..
The Picture quality when married to capable hardware produces reference image quality & color extremely accurate sence Sony consentrated on meeting the REC 709 HD Gamut seen for the first time in IP Surveillance camera Modules..

youtube demo of 20x zoom performance & pic quality www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOM0Y5lZWdM
post #23 of 48 Old 08-07-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Its the Horizontal FOV thats of most importance in A Surveillance camera, compared to 4x3/ 1:33.1 aspect ratio used in SD cameras A Full HD camera has a 16:9 AR offering far greater FOV up to 6X larger than traditional VGA cameras, saving money in the long run compared to there counterparts due to requiring many more SD cameras to = the same FOV of A single HD camera...
post #24 of 48 Old 08-07-2012, 09:35 AM

Those Vivoteks look great, but not everyone has $2k to spend on a single camera. You can buy a lot of lower-grade, perfectly adequate for the DIY home project, cameras for that kind of cash. wink.gif The OP doesn't seem to be in the market for something of these Vivotek's caliber, and is clearly looking for something in a much smaller price range.
post #25 of 48 Old 08-07-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps70w View Post

Those Vivoteks look great, but not everyone has $2k to spend on a single camera. You can buy a lot of lower-grade, perfectly adequate for the DIY home project, cameras for that kind of cash. wink.gif The OP doesn't seem to be in the market for something of these Vivotek's caliber, and is clearly looking for something in a much smaller price range.

Yeap, I want an inexpensive security camera that has good video quality, and the foscom pretty much fits the bill. However, I am still waiting for my wife's approval lol.....last time I got in trouble for ordering stuff prior consulting, and I don't feel like going through that again!

Home Theater Set Up:

post #26 of 48 Old 08-07-2012, 07:24 PM

Check out Logitech Alert cameras, not badly priced, they have night capability also.indoor and outdoor models
post #27 of 48 Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Troll

Liked: 44
Quote:

Interestingly Vivotek's flagship SD8362e Full HD PTZ & AXIS flagship Q6035-E PTZ both incorporate Sony's flagship Full HD cmos sensor/ 20x-zoom module capable of over 2Km distance..
The Picture quality when married to capable hardware produces reference image quality & color extremely accurate sence Sony consentrated on meeting the REC 709 HD Gamut seen for the first time in IP Surveillance camera Modules..
youtube demo of 20x zoom performance & pic quality www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOM0Y5lZWdM[/quote]
the sd8362e shares the same chipset as the ip8362,
the sd8362 manual shows that it has the wrong chipset, not sure if they corrected that yet, but if they did, it was because i questioned why it had a chipset that was like 5 years old in it.
the ip8362 has been know to provide lackluster performance due to the chipset,

i have logitech alert cameras at the moment, but their performance degrades pretty badly when it kicks into night mode with b/w picture and ir, i'd venture to say that fps is approximately 6-7.

stick with the foscams for the price, atleast you won't moan and groan about performance for that kind of price.
post #28 of 48 Old 08-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cheers...

Any computer made in the past year or so would be able to be used just fine. I mean if you have real old hardware that may not be up to par. I mean I play high bitrate movies on my computer anyway and those work just fine. I never had any problem playing the Vivotek output files at all and the computer is just a plain duo-core computer with Intel integrated graphics. Nothing special at all.
post #29 of 48 Old 08-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

I wasn't talking about Vivotek's flagship camera. Also, while the Foscam picture that was posted looks good it is tiny as a postage stamp. Video was that small in the 80's when everything was really small and tiny. Yea, the output looks great but at the cost of having it very tiny on your screen. If you have a good quality LCD display like I do, 640x480 size is barely visible to the eye. This is why I've purchased higher resolution cameras. I guess if you are using old hardware and old type monitors then a small resolution wouldn't matter.
post #30 of 48 Old 08-08-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:

I wasn't talking about Vivotek's flagship camera. Also, while the Foscam picture that was posted looks good it is tiny as a postage stamp. Video was that small in the 80's when everything was really small and tiny. Yea, the output looks great but at the cost of having it very tiny on your screen. If you have a good quality LCD display like I do, 640x480 size is barely visible to the eye. This is why I've purchased higher resolution cameras. I guess if you are using old hardware and old type monitors then a small resolution wouldn't matter.
Of course, if you plan on doing most of your use from an iphone or ipad, then the foscam works out great.."tiny" and all...
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page