Which is preferred for its networking features when you have both a networked TV and a networked bd player??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-04-2012, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a little confused about setting up a new Sony S590 blu ray player and a new Panny ST50. Both have the same DLNA networking and streaming features.

Which is the best way to set each up when both provide the same networking features?

For those who have faced this choice, do you prefer to use the networked bd player or TV?

Would you use the TV for streaming movies and videos from your PC and the blu ray player just for playing disks?

Are there any advantages for either the blu ray player or your networked TV that I may be missing?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-04-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 215
The question is which do you prefer. They probably each have their own UI and picture quality. Only you can judge which is better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by idreos View Post

I'm a little confused about setting up a new Sony S590 blu ray player and a new Panny ST50. Both have the same DLNA networking and streaming features.
Which is the best way to set each up when both provide the same networking features?
For those who have faced this choice, do you prefer to use the networked bd player or TV?
Would you use the TV for streaming movies and videos from your PC and the blu ray player just for playing disks?
Are there any advantages for either the blu ray player or your networked TV that I may be missing?
Thanks for your help.

It is the same thing. Using a mass market device like a TV or BD player to me is for the kids.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-04-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
DLNA has limited support. For that reason I don't use it at all.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

Home Theater Set Up:

post #5 of 7 Old 08-04-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

. . . They probably each have their own UI and picture quality. . .
. . . as well as audio quality.

One annoying feature of DLNA is that it hides the formats that the device supports from the consumer. If you can find the "DLNA Certificate" for both of your devices, you can determine (after some decoding) what audio and video formats each one supports. I suspect the Panasonic will be better, as I have yet to see a Sony DLNA device that supported better than standard-definition video.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-04-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Which is best? Neither. Which would I use --same answer. A decent media streamer in quite inexpensive these days and they will do multiple times more things than either the Sony or Panny will do. Not that long ago I was beating my head against the wall trying to get my Sony BD player to stream what is was supposed to do. After many hours of fruitless labor I formed my mantra in regards to streaming-- Use a panel to watch content, A BD player to play content and a media player to stream content. Let each one do what it is supposed to do and do well, don't expect an add on option, mainly there to create advertizing buzz to be fully functional. The various companies just pay for the absolute minimal functionality to get their product legally labeled as DNLA complaint.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-05-2012, 04:16 PM

Liked: 10
I found streaming media to be tricky. Large, hi quality blu-ray rips in .mkv format stutter for some, despite gigabit wired connections and fast PCs.
My BDP, a Panasonic DMP-BDT220, can play streams, connect to DLNA servers, or play content locally (from a connected hard drive). I was not happy
with DLNA (really slow FF and rewind for one), had incurable stutter from a share, but local playback works fine. I put my 1.5 TB drive in a USB 3
enclosure, connect to the BDP and it works beautifully. I bring it to the PC to organize and load content. Not perfect, but it works. The answer to your
question I think, is; you won't know till you try, with your files, and your equipment.

Also, if your tv is just being used as a monitor, with all video inputs going through a receiver, then streaming to the BDP would be preferable.
Check the file types of the media you want to play, and see if they are supported by your device. If not, a media player would work.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page