Some very very VERY basic Media Streamer help needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-05-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whilst not totally computer illiterate, reading this forum makes me feel slightly queasy. I feel like a nursery child asking questions to university students... but anyway, I suppose that's a good thing:

I'm in the process of rejuvenating my home-cinema system. Bought a new TV (Panasonic P65ST50B - it's kickass), new AV-receiver (Yamaha RXV673 - I'm slowly turning into an audiophile). Now I'm looking for a way to stream media from my PC to my TV. (Hence me posting this on the Media Servers and Content Streamers forum.)

I have a metric ****-ton of music, TV shows and movies on my PC. File formats vary, from mp3s to lossless files, from DVD rips to blu-ray isos. The ability to watch some HD movies I have on my PC on my TV, or the ability to listen to some of the music I have using the AV-receiver, is a goal I wish to achieve.

The TV has a USB port, but it cannot play all the formats I have, and it struggles with some of the larger files when I connect it to an external USB.

The AV-receiver also has a USB port, but does not recognise my external USB hard drive at all.

My proposed network set-up (which has not yet been completed) would be to utilise the gigabit ports on my router and bridge to create a wired, gigabit connection between my PC and an as-yet unpurchased media streamer, which would then plug in via HDMI to my AV receiver. Since the PC and media-streamer are separated by 2 storeys, that connection would be aided by a gigabit homeplug. Would this be the most efficient way to enjoy the content from my PC through my home-cinema setup downstairs, and if so, what media streamer would you recommend? Or would you recommend an alternate solution to my problem?

Thanks for your help, and apologies for the lengthy message.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-05-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerM View Post

Whilst not totally computer illiterate, reading this forum makes me feel slightly queasy. I feel like a nursery child asking questions to university students... but anyway, I suppose that's a good thing:
I'm in the process of rejuvenating my home-cinema system. Bought a new TV (Panasonic P65ST50B - it's kickass), new AV-receiver (Yamaha RXV673 - I'm slowly turning into an audiophile). Now I'm looking for a way to stream media from my PC to my TV. (Hence me posting this on the Media Servers and Content Streamers forum.)
I have a metric ****-ton of music, TV shows and movies on my PC. File formats vary, from mp3s to lossless files, from DVD rips to blu-ray isos. The ability to watch some HD movies I have on my PC on my TV, or the ability to listen to some of the music I have using the AV-receiver, is a goal I wish to achieve.
The TV has a USB port, but it cannot play all the formats I have, and it struggles with some of the larger files when I connect it to an external USB.
The AV-receiver also has a USB port, but does not recognise my external USB hard drive at all.
My proposed network set-up (which has not yet been completed) would be to utilise the gigabit ports on my router and bridge to create a wired, gigabit connection between my PC and an as-yet unpurchased media streamer, which would then plug in via HDMI to my AV receiver. Since the PC and media-streamer are separated by 2 storeys, that connection would be aided by a gigabit homeplug. Would this be the most efficient way to enjoy the content from my PC through my home-cinema setup downstairs, and if so, what media streamer would you recommend? Or would you recommend an alternate solution to my problem?
Thanks for your help, and apologies for the lengthy message.

You have the right idea. Homeplug is hit and miss though. I know it is a hassle, but doing the physical ethernet wiring is worth the extra time and expense. The most reliable and flexible appliance to play media that is on your computer would be the Dune Smart player series. The Popcorn hour and Netgear 550 are also pretty good, although not quite as reliable.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-05-2012, 09:23 AM

You might look at MoCa adapters if you have coax in both locations. As far as streamers, nothing is perfect. We're in a weird transitional period. There are some decent and even cheap options out there, but really cool stuff is coming over the next year. XBMC is on the verge of becoming a consumer product, but still requires a bit of fiddling to optimize. I'm using a pc running XBMC for myself, and a Roku 2 XS running off of Plex Media Server on the PC for my wife. I'll transition to XBMC for everything once the ARM port is past Beta.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-15-2013, 02:57 AM

WD TV Live is a good player (can play directly via your PC's shares), and IMO the best price / performance gadget you can get for ~$100 in this category, and plays everything you throw at it.

As for the networking aspect, unless you have the convenience to test the homeplug devices and decide foryourself that they provide adequate performance, the safest best would be to make an Ethernet drop (or 2, or 3, or 4) direct to where your TV is
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page