What's the best way to sling football content to a tv outside? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-06-2012, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

With football season coming up, I've been trying to nail down the best way to sling the games to our outdoor patio area but can't seem to figure out the best path to take. I have a large patio area that's a bit separate from my house (but still in good signal distance of my wireless N network). I have Directv and the NFL sunday ticket, the awesome directv ipad app (not sure if you can watch Sunday Ticket on there or not) and then a power outlet next to my patio (and a Boxee box I love / also an Xbox 360 but I don't believe either one of those can do Sunday Ticket). Everyone's always told me I should mount a TV outside on the patio but both the wife and I aren't big fans of that as it seems a bit obnoxious and we wouldn't use it very often. So, I'm thinking about buying some el cheapo 32inch tv to put outside but without being close to a hookup for another directv box, I'm left wondering what the best option is? Can I send a signal out from the Directv ipad app to a TV via airplay or an AV adapter? Maybe I need to buy an AppleTV2 to get video mirroring from the ipad?

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-07-2012, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Not possible?
post #3 of 4 Old 08-07-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymesi View Post

Not possible?

There are a couple of options.

1) You could upgrade your directv subscription to get streaming on mobile devices and you could hook up a ps3 (they have an nfl sunday ticket app) or a Laptop to the tv and get the games that way assuming your wireless network connection is strong enough since that would require a decent amount of bandwidth to watch in HD but no more than netflix.

2) you buy a wireless HD streaming kit. One end hooks up to your satellite box and the other to the display device where you want the content. Since this is wireless, it will once again depend on how good a signal you get. I have one of these that broadcasts from my living room to another room with a projector 40 ft away through a wall. However, results may vary.

http://www.amazon.com/brite-View-BV-2322-Uncompressed-Wireless-Transmission/dp/B0043BPZWA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344396095&sr=8-1&keywords=brite-view
post #4 of 4 Old 08-08-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, I had heard about the briteview option before on other projects, curious if it works well - thanks for suggesting that. I also was thinking, what if I used an HDMI adapter out of the ipad (I do have Directv streaming on my ipad) and did a mirror out to the tv. I've heard mixed things on whether or not the directv app or sunday ticket will allow video out but if necessary, could just jailbreak the ipad2 and use displayout to force a picture to the screen. I guess the issue would be quality at that point - wonder if they're at least streaming a 720p frame size to the ipad version of Sunday Ticket...
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page