Home networking question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-07-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys!

Just getting settled into my new house and found the network box in my master bedroom closet. The house is cat5 wired and all the wires end up in a box but aren't plugged into anything. I can connect the cable modem there also and was planning on putting a switch in to connect all the wired to to broadcast to the rest of the house.
My question is do I need to put my router between the modem and the switch to have all those ports connected to the Internet? I wanted to have the router connected to the wall outlet in a different room that was better suited for a wireless broadcast. It's the linksys e4200. I'm kind of a networking rookie so I may have missed some needed components. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Yes you need to have the router between the modem and your switch. Just plug your switch into a port on your router and the modem into the wan port and you are good to go.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
post #3 of 6 Old 08-07-2012, 03:47 PM

Liked: 12
I also moved to a new house and this is how my house is wired. Cat5 to family room, master bed room and office. All the three wires had open ends at basement. So I put a cable modem and a router acting as switch and router. In my family room closet I put one more router as bridge (also with 802.11n enabled to serve phones, laptop and tablets) so that multiple devices - ps3, htpc, Sony blu-ray player and another set top box are all in the same subnet as my other Sony blu-ray player in mbr and htpc in office. This way I was able to stream contents off my pc in office to blu-ray ray players and streaming devices. I had two wireless routers with me so I used it this way. But its better to use a switch or router with gigabit Ethernet port. Although all your devices need to run in gigabit Ethernet mode to have gigabit network. You may nerd to create separate subnet for non gigabit devices, if you want gigabit on one. However in my case I needed one subnet only.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-07-2012, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Ok the only piece of non gigabit that I have is my netgear ntv550. It is supposed to be but hasn't played well on a gigabit network. Anyways, I'll not hijack my own thread. I solve this by having it go through a trendier 10/100 switch before the ntv550 and it worked just fine. That will be in my living room along with Xbox and directv box, none of which need a gigabit connection. So here is what I am thinking.
Master closet with network box will have cable modem attached to router attached to gigabit switch. All the room wires will be plugged into the gigabit switch.
Living room outlet (coming from gigabit switch) will be connected to trendnet 10/100 switch into which will be plugged my NAS, ntv550, Xbox, and directv box. I am not exactly sure what you meant by a separate subnet. Maybe instead of the living room wire in the closet needs to be plugged directly into the router instead of the switch and then configured in the router as a separate subnet? Again, that's just a guess but it sounds right to me :-).
Also, the living room would be an ideal point for another wireless access point. So you are saying I could plug a new router into the wall (with wire coming from the other router or the switch?) and then have my 10/100switch to fix the ntv550 problem and also attach Xbox etc to that router or switch in the living room? I hope I am getting this across without causing confusion. Thanks for all the help guys!
post #5 of 6 Old 08-08-2012, 10:08 AM

Liked: 12
As I understand your setup is like this:
(master closet)cable modem -> router ->switch-> multiple rooms including living room (outer subnet in gigabit)
living room->10/100 switch-> multiple devices(NAS, ntv550, xbox, direcTV) (inner subnet in 10/100)

You can simplify the number of hops through switch and router by reducing the router and switches as long as the number of devices at any room is not more than 4 or if the number of rooms where network outlet is present is more than 4.
So it can be:
(master closet)cable modem->router/switch with gigabit Ethernet port (this can have wireless gateway feature too to provide wireless access for devices closer to your master closet) -> multiple room
(living room)->10/100 switch or wireless router if you want to extend wireless near your living room ->multiple devices

If you are operating two wireless devices, ensure that they either operate in different band like g and n and have different SSID with different channels if in same band. If you want seamless access for all devices across all room, your living room switch/router need to be configured as access point and need to be assigned a static ip with same subnet as the outer subnet. In your case NAS is in your inner subnet, so you probably don't need a single subnet,
post #6 of 6 Old 08-08-2012, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome thank you so much! I'll give it a try on Friday when the switch gets in and let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again

Pete
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page