Media streamers with component out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-08-2012, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are there any media streamers with component video out and stereo sound, I have an older hd RPTV that does not have hdmi, and I do not want to hook the streamer up thru my reciever. I have a couple sets of unused component inputs on the tv I would like to use. If not is there any Cables or adapters that convert hdmi out to 5 wire RCA (component/stereo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-08-2012, 08:20 PM

Liked: 12
netgear neotv has component out as does dune max, dune duo and older base 3.0 units...
post #3 of 10 Old 08-08-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I have a Popcorn Hour A-300 I was going to put in the classifieds if you're interested. NIB condition, just used for testing. If you don't want to spend that much, I have a mede8er 450X2 NIB condition as well. Both have component and stereo out.

PM me if you're interested.

Looky here!
post #4 of 10 Old 08-08-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas69 View Post

Are there any media streamers with component video out and stereo sound, I have an older hd RPTV that does not have hdmi, and I do not want to hook the streamer up thru my reciever. I have a couple sets of unused component inputs on the tv I would like to use. If not is there any Cables or adapters that convert hdmi out to 5 wire RCA (component/stereo)

There are quite a few. The C200,300, A210,300 from PCH. The Pivos Aios and the WDTV Live Hub are another two. Go to http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php for a comprehensive list.

philip
post #5 of 10 Old 08-08-2012, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Looked at the netgear models and only the 550 has component and stereo out but it only streams YouTube from the web, no Netflix, Hulu, or vudu
post #6 of 10 Old 08-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

You can buy an HDMI to component/stereo audio out converter. Bought one from Amazon for $25. Workd well for a variety of devices.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
post #7 of 10 Old 08-14-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:

Looked at the netgear models and only the 550 has component and stereo out but it only streams YouTube from the web, no Netflix, Hulu, or vudu
Well, if those were/are important to you you might have wanted to mention that in your post...
post #8 of 10 Old 08-17-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Here is another cheap alternative.

The older ROKU N1000(which I have), has outputs of composite/S-Video/Component/HDMI/stereo RCA/Optical. It also has built in wireless(G only I think), and wired.

There HD output is ONLY 720p, so bear that in mind. But I have one hooked up to a 46" Samsung 46UN6000 LED, and it looks just fine. Does 1080p look better? Sure, but not a TON better, that is for sure.

Anyway, you can find them online at EBay. I have had mine for about 2-3 years now. It does develop problems every once and a while(locks up), but just unplugging it for a minute, then plugging it back in solves this. Not the greatest/most reliable device, but for the prices I see on EBay now for it, I think it worth a shot:

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Roku-N1000-Digital-HD-Media-Streamer-/114250564?_refkw=Roku+HD&_pcatid=612&_pcategid=168058&_dmpt=US_Internet_Media_Streamers
post #9 of 10 Old 08-17-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

becareful if its 720P. Many older CRT HDTV's dont do 720P

480i, 480p, and 1080i

Mitsubishis Dimond Vision RPTV's are a great example of this.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-17-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

Here is another cheap alternative.
The older ROKU N1000(which I have), has outputs of composite/S-Video/Component/HDMI/stereo RCA/Optical. It also has built in wireless(G only I think), and wired.
There HD output is ONLY 720p, so bear that in mind. But I have one hooked up to a 46" Samsung 46UN6000 LED, and it looks just fine. Does 1080p look better? Sure, but not a TON better, that is for sure.
Anyway, you can find them online at EBay. I have had mine for about 2-3 years now. It does develop problems every once and a while(locks up), but just unplugging it for a minute, then plugging it back in solves this. Not the greatest/most reliable device, but for the prices I see on EBay now for it, I think it worth a shot:
http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Roku-N1000-Digital-HD-Media-Streamer-/114250564?_refkw=Roku+HD&_pcatid=612&_pcategid=168058&_dmpt=US_Internet_Media_Streamers
While the Roku N1000 can be had for a very cheap price nowadays, they are legacy units, which come with legacy issues. They are still functional, but the firmware updates have slowed considerably, since they run a different firmware than the current gen boxes (Roku 2 and LT). Again, they are still functional & supported, but for how much longer? Who knows. The price is very tempting though.

The other thing to watch out for on these units is the wall-wart power supplies. They are notorious for failing on these older boxes. Not a huge deal, as you can find suitable replacements, but it is a potential added cost. I've had an N1000 for about 3 years, and the PSU is still working fine, so you never can tell. It's just luck of the draw, I guess. But if you were reading the Roku forums back in 2009-2010, before they released subsequent generation boxes, you'd see a ton of posts about failing PSU's.

Also, the OP didn't really specify what they wanted to stream. If local network streaming is your thing, the N1000 (or any Roku box for that matter) is probably not your best solution.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming