Apple TV 3 stream MKV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 08-09-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently sold my boxee box and purchased an Apple TV 3rd gen with the hopes of jailbrakeing it and installing xbmc. I should have done my homework before purchasing because I did not realize there isn't a jailbreak out yet for the 3rd gen yet. I have a large video library of MKVs I want to stream from my PC without converting to MP4. Does anyone know of any software that can do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-09-2012, 09:39 PM

Liked: 10
Do you have a mac that has, or is upgradable to mountain lion? If you do, bully to you, you can mirror the desktop on the apple tv. If you don't, you are SOL. Without jailbreaking there is no way to stream to the apple tv outside of mp4's via iTunes.
post #3 of 26 Old 08-09-2012, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbarnz View Post

I recently sold my boxee box and purchased an Apple TV 3rd gen with the hopes of jailbrakeing it and installing xbmc. I should have done my homework before purchasing because I did not realize there isn't a jailbreak out yet for the 3rd gen yet. I have a large video library of MKVs I want to stream from my PC without converting to MP4. Does anyone know of any software that can do this?

You can transform the mkv files into mp4 files with no re-encoding. There is a lot of sw that does this. Depending on how large your library is I would just go and get a player that handles mkv files. The ATV is not the right tool for mkv and multi-codec playback.

philip
post #4 of 26 Old 08-10-2012, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowningape View Post

Do you have a mac that has, or is upgradable to mountain lion? If you do, bully to you, you can mirror the desktop on the apple tv. If you don't, you are SOL. Without jailbreaking there is no way to stream to the apple tv outside of mp4's via iTunes.

Sure there is, there's AirParrot http://airparrot.com/. I second getting a different player though.
post #5 of 26 Old 08-10-2012, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 592
+3 with a different media player.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #6 of 26 Old 08-10-2012, 05:32 AM

You could install Plex Server on your PC (ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE FOLLOWING BELOW)

You would still need some type of Apple product to push the stream to your ATV3 with AIRPLAY - It does work with the ATV3 I have tried it.... from an Iphone or IPAD2 and works good.

I too, am waiting for the ATV3 jailbreak to happen, Then i could use either XBMC or Plex right off the ATV3....

AJ

Vincent Hanna: "It keeps me sharp on the edge where I gotta be."
post #7 of 26 Old 08-10-2012, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I will give Plex a try and Airplay it from my iPad 3. I don't know how good it will be running off of wireless because most of my MKVs are full rips of my blu-ray collection.

I'll hold out for a month or so to see if there is any progress on an ATV 3 jailbreak, and if not I will look to get something else.
post #8 of 26 Old 08-10-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the responses. I will give Plex a try and Airplay it from my iPad 3. I don't know how good it will be running off of wireless because most of my MKVs are full rips of my blu-ray collection.
I'll hold out for a month or so to see if there is any progress on an ATV 3 jailbreak, and if not I will look to get something else.

I don't think you will be able to stream bluray movie with high bitrate wireless. Unless Plex transcode them on the fly and makes them DVD quality.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #9 of 26 Old 08-10-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I don't think you will be able to stream bluray movie with high bitrate wireless. Unless Plex transcode them on the fly and makes them DVD quality.

+1

Quote:

From what I can gather there's no work being done on the ATV3 jailbreak at the moment, at least not from the usual sources. There's talk of Apple opening it up to apps in another 5 weeks, but it's just speculation http://gizmodo.com/5931185/why-apple-tv-just-became-apples-most-important-product/. If this happens it may open it up to vulnerabilities for a jailbreak, probably what the hackers are waiting for, but if this is your only reason to keep it then I'd return it.
post #10 of 26 Old 08-11-2012, 08:08 AM

Yes Plex transcodes see the link - http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/PlexNine_PMS_Overview#Overview

Vincent Hanna: "It keeps me sharp on the edge where I gotta be."
post #11 of 26 Old 08-12-2012, 03:28 AM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had a similar need. My files are on a NAS and my target was iPad or ATV3. I tried Plex and many others solutions. My conclusion was, for my situation, I should just transcode DVDs or Blu-Rays to MP4 before viewing. This thread is about how to do that and which players to use:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1411765/streaming-movies-from-nas-to-ipad-3

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #12 of 26 Old 10-29-2012, 02:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Is it possible to use like Playstation Media Server to re-encode to Apple TV and thus stream this way????
post #13 of 26 Old 10-30-2012, 04:19 AM

Liked: 15
What's the point in doing that with high quality video (if we are talking about Blu-ray images or high bitrate encodes)? Forget about ATV3 for anything other than iTunes streaming, and Airplay also introduces quality issues and is not an elegant solution (having to navigate around computer and TV to watch content). I would get a better box from Popcorn Hour, Mede8r, WDTV etc. if you want to play MKVs/images.
post #14 of 26 Old 10-31-2012, 03:32 PM

Okay, I know I am about to get panned, but I have used everything, htpc, med1000x3d, a210, ep600g2, boxee box, and there is no good one box solution for everything. But The apple tv is a great family box. Netflix is great , and local movies look great!!
mp4/m4v is just a container, I include the HD audio track in the handbrake rips and it works awesome on my openelec box. I save filesize and the video quality is so close you can hardly tell. You can stream wireless to all you devices, and still have hd audio for other players.
I am on a 155" screen with a jvc x30. I can watch the original blu ray. then switch inputs to the apple tv3 handbrake and unless you pause it and really . I mean really look you cannot tell any difference.(and that is only in certain scenes for me). I do hate the lack of hd audio for some movies, and why I still use
a openelec box for those. But if you are encoding the movies in handrake there is no differnece from mkv or mp4/m4v. They really are great looking, better than apple tv hd or vudu HDX. For other rooms, my family room etc. the apple tv is a great unit. And other than HD audio I would use it in my theater as well, ( and wish hbo go was native on it) Plus the wife and kids can use it super easy and not mess up anything, ie no phone calls complaining that they cannot get the movie playing or other issues with other boxes. Yes the Itunes intergration kinda sucks, but for other streamers you usually have a server running anyway, so not a huge issue, unless you just want to use a NAS, but if your using handbrake to encode etc. then you generally have a pc/mac in the food chain anyway to go ahead and serve itunes, just map the nas to your computer and add it to itunes. From my use the apple tv3 is great. Very easy low power unit that is awesome for accessing content easily.
post #15 of 26 Old 10-31-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpump View Post

Okay, I know I am about to get panned, but I have used everything, htpc, med1000x3d, a210, ep600g2, boxee box, and there is no good one box solution for everything. But The apple tv is a great family box. Netflix is great , and local movies look great!!
mp4/m4v is just a container, I include the HD audio track in the handbrake rips and it works awesome on my openelec box. I save filesize and the video quality is so close you can hardly tell. You can stream wireless to all you devices, and still have hd audio for other players.
I am on a 155" screen with a jvc x30. I can watch the original blu ray. then switch inputs to the apple tv3 handbrake and unless you pause it and really . I mean really look you cannot tell any difference.(and that is only in certain scenes for me). I do hate the lack of hd audio for some movies, and why I still use
a openelec box for those. But if you are encoding the movies in handrake there is no differnece from mkv or mp4/m4v. They really are great looking, better than apple tv hd or vudu HDX. For other rooms, my family room etc. the apple tv is a great unit. And other than HD audio I would use it in my theater as well, ( and wish hbo go was native on it) Plus the wife and kids can use it super easy and not mess up anything, ie no phone calls complaining that they cannot get the movie playing or other issues with other boxes. Yes the Itunes intergration kinda sucks, but for other streamers you usually have a server running anyway, so not a huge issue, unless you just want to use a NAS, but if your using handbrake to encode etc. then you generally have a pc/mac in the food chain anyway to go ahead and serve itunes, just map the nas to your computer and add it to itunes. From my use the apple tv3 is great. Very easy low power unit that is awesome for accessing content easily.

If you can't notice the difference from non-encode and encoded BD movie on your 155", then I give you props. I only have a 50" Plasma, and I can notice the picture quality difference between a movie only BD ripped as m2ts file and re-encoded MP4 movie. I give you more props for being able to stream wireless. This is something I haven't been able to accomplish with high bitrate content. I can stream any of my MP4 files wireless that aren't high bitrate, which in turn picture quality went from BD to DVD quality, but it looks HD in my android phone and iPad though biggrin.gif

Home Theater Set Up:

post #16 of 26 Old 10-31-2012, 10:32 PM

To me they look great, I will say most movies I cannot tell. But the goodies, Star Wars, dark knight, transformers, etc. I leave fully uncompressed Mkv. But to me 9 out of 10 movies I cannot tell. My wireless is pretty good, I can stream all my m4v without any issues, up to even my 14gb m4v rips. I do notice the audio difference more than the video. I really like hd audio on my golden ears. It is awesome. I am just so tired of messing with streamers, HTPc, etc. maybe one day I will find one box to rule them all, ie the original Boxee box with no hd audio drops, hbo go, Netflix with all the audio options, vudu, amazon, etc. just to cover all the bases, but it will probably never happen. Nothing I have tried is without some compromise, either lack of options, ugly up, no waf , the Apple TV is by no means perfect, (not even close)
But the sum of the parts is my favorite for most things. I can stream to all my iPads, and bedrooms all from the same source. Openelec is a great option though as well for local content it is beautifull ui, and supports most formats. And no need to re-encode anything, make Mkv , and done. It is my primary for my theater on the 155" but the Apple TV did great when I had it hooked up in there. Maybe I will try the a-400 I use blu ray for 3d now. It would be nice to have something that played those iso as well as everything else. The med1000x3d was close, but network issues on my high bitrate Mkv killed it, wher my cheap Zotac openelec never breaks a sweat.
post #17 of 26 Old 11-01-2012, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grambo View Post

What's the point in doing that with high quality video (if we are talking about Blu-ray images or high bitrate encodes)? Forget about ATV3 for anything other than iTunes streaming, and Airplay also introduces quality issues and is not an elegant solution (having to navigate around computer and TV to watch content). I would get a better box from Popcorn Hour, Mede8r, WDTV etc. if you want to play MKVs/images.

I agree that the ATV is not the right solution for mkv. One can either stop using mkv and switch to m4v or use Mountain Lion's Airplay. You can control that with Rowmote. No messing around with the computer or tv. Rowmote initiates AirPlay on your ATV3 ( there is a selection as to where you want to mirror). It also allows for a choice of apps so you have xbmc, plex, vlc, etc.. all effectively available on the ATV3. I don't know why you consider that less than elegant. The weak link there is having to use an iPod or whatever as the remote.

The WDTV has a slow and less than ideal GUI. The PCH and other similar units don't provide premium content. Even the Sony GTV box is more elegant in my opinion, except for true videophiles with Blu-ray collections. There is also the Pivox XBMC box which is neat.

philip
post #18 of 26 Old 11-01-2012, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To me they look great, I will say most movies I cannot tell. But the goodies, Star Wars, dark knight, transformers, etc. I leave fully uncompressed Mkv. But to me 9 out of 10 movies I cannot tell. My wireless is pretty good, I can stream all my m4v without any issues, up to even my 14gb m4v rips. I do notice the audio difference more than the video. I really like hd audio on my golden ears. It is awesome. I am just so tired of messing with streamers, HTPc, etc. maybe one day I will find one box to rule them all, ie the original Boxee box with no hd audio drops, hbo go, Netflix with all the audio options, vudu, amazon, etc. just to cover all the bases, but it will probably never happen. Nothing I have tried is without some compromise, either lack of options, ugly up, no waf , the Apple TV is by no means perfect, (not even close)
But the sum of the parts is my favorite for most things. I can stream to all my iPads, and bedrooms all from the same source. Openelec is a great option though as well for local content it is beautifull ui, and supports most formats. And no need to re-encode anything, make Mkv , and done. It is my primary for my theater on the 155" but the Apple TV did great when I had it hooked up in there. Maybe I will try the a-400 I use blu ray for 3d now. It would be nice to have something that played those iso as well as everything else. The med1000x3d was close, but network issues on my high bitrate Mkv killed it, wher my cheap Zotac openelec never breaks a sweat.

I just bought 2 iPad 2's a few days ago since their price dropped, but now I am concern about playing my content from my server. I am using unRaid, and it has a plugin for AirPlay, but I haven't tested it yet. I hope it works.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #19 of 26 Old 11-01-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just bought 2 iPad 2's a few days ago since their price dropped, but now I am concern about playing my content from my server. I am using unRaid, and it has a plugin for AirPlay, but I haven't tested it yet. I hope it works.

I doubt the ATV2 will be able to access the NAS without it running iTunes somewhere. It uses Home Sharing to access content and while the content can live anywhere some iTunes has to be running on the network. Just run iTunes on some low powered PC.

Of course you can always jailbreak the ATV2, although hasn't the legality of that in the US has just become iffy?

Philip
post #20 of 26 Old 11-01-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

I doubt the ATV2 will be able to access the NAS without it running iTunes somewhere. It uses Home Sharing to access content and while the content can live anywhere some iTunes has to be running on the network. Just run iTunes on some low powered PC.
Of course you can always jailbreak the ATV2, although hasn't the legality of that in the US has just become iffy?
Philip

I don't have ATV2, and I don't want to run a 2nd computer for accessing my files. According the unRaid their Airplay plugin doesn't require iTunes. I will find out by Saturday if it is going to work. I haven't taken out the iPad 2's out of their boxes until I find out if the price for the iPad 3 isn't going down. If the iPad 3 goes down in price, I will return the 2 iPad 2's I bought and get the iPad 3 instead.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #21 of 26 Old 11-01-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:

You must see the humor in that statement since the majority of threads in this section of the forum discuss players for playing your ripped movies, of which is still technically illegal. I don't think anyone will lose any sleep jailbreaking their idevice, legal or not. biggrin.gif
post #22 of 26 Old 11-01-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:

I don't have ATV2, and I don't want to run a 2nd computer for accessing my files. According the unRaid their Airplay plugin doesn't require iTunes. I will find out by Saturday if it is going to work. I haven't taken out the iPad 2's out of their boxes until I find out if the price for the iPad 3 isn't going down. If the iPad 3 goes down in price, I will return the 2 iPad 2's I bought and get the iPad 3 instead.

The iPad 3 can be had for $450 now at Best Buy, not really a spectacular deal by any means. The only thing that makes sense to me is the iPad 2 will go away and the iPad 3 will take it's place at the $400 level. I changed my mind on the Kindle Fire HD and got the iPad 4...arrives tomorrow assuming no delivery interruptions.
post #23 of 26 Old 11-01-2012, 07:40 PM

I run 2 iPads from a unraid server, mapped drive to a windows 7 server running itunes . all at the same time as a Apple TV. 3 streams at once and have not had problems yet. I encode atv 3 hanbrake preset, changed to 18 on the quality, 5-8 gb average file (I do include the dts-hd track on some wich usually adds a few gb to that average) But none of those devices will use it anyway. Have to test, but I have run a full Mkv high bitrate from the same server ( hard lined ) while the Apple TV and a iPad used wireless as well. Unraid rocks!
post #24 of 26 Old 11-01-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The iPad3 is quite a lot nicer than the 2 because of the display. Hard to go back to the 1 or 2 after using it. Everything seems fuzzy.

philip
post #25 of 26 Old 11-02-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post

The iPad 3 can be had for $450 now at Best Buy, not really a spectacular deal by any means. The only thing that makes sense to me is the iPad 2 will go away and the iPad 3 will take it's place at the $400 level. I changed my mind on the Kindle Fire HD and got the iPad 4...arrives tomorrow assuming no delivery interruptions.

It will be the other way around. The iPad 3 will not be made anymore. Apple took it out of their website as soon as the iPad 4 was announced. The only way you can get an iPad 3 is from authorized dealers / sellers. If they have any. I was also thinking about the Kindle Fire's and Nexus 7, but iPad as way more applications for my set up than either one.

Quote:

I run 2 iPads from a unraid server, mapped drive to a windows 7 server running itunes . all at the same time as a Apple TV. 3 streams at once and have not had problems yet. I encode atv 3 hanbrake preset, changed to 18 on the quality, 5-8 gb average file (I do include the dts-hd track on some wich usually adds a few gb to that average) But none of those devices will use it anyway. Have to test, but I have run a full Mkv high bitrate from the same server ( hard lined ) while the Apple TV and a iPad used wireless as well. Unraid rocks!

I will be trying to set up Airplay for my unRaid server as well. My hardware is good enough to transcode on the fly since 90% of my rips are BD's.

Quote:

The iPad3 is quite a lot nicer than the 2 because of the display. Hard to go back to the 1 or 2 after using it. Everything seems fuzzy.
philip

That's the main reason why I haven't opened the 2 iPads 2 I've got. I was waiting to see if the price for the iPad 3 would go down even more since it is discontinued.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #26 of 26 Old 03-02-2013, 11:50 AM

If you have another iOS device you can use VLCStreamer which will stream thru iOS from your PC/Mac to AppleTV without Jailbreaking.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Apple Tv Mc572ll A
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page