A long way from home and need a VPN streaming solution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-12-2012, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there

I wonder if any of you out there can possibly help me with a bit of a quandary - its a tad complicated so I am going to write it as a bit of a plan which I hope you can understand - I'm a Brit based in NYC for clarity

Current Hardware
Sony Bravia KDL-32EX500 and PS3 in the bedroom
Sony Bravia KDL-46HX750 and BDPS590 3D Bluray player in the living room

Also a couple of Macs, 1 Toshiba redundant laptop, Linksys E3200 router.

Also have access to VPN to the UK through UKiVPN service

The problem:
Our cable supplier (Time Warner) is crap - internet is 10mb but the channels are awful (especially the NBC coverage of the olympics) - what I want to do is somehow be able to watch BBC coverage on the TV but still get all the Netflix, Amazon and other on demand services we do enjoy.

Now I know I can connect the old laptop to the VPN and then plug that into the VGA port on the TV but that is not so practical - what I would like to do is maybe have a small solution which could be a VPN router - then I could download maybe iPlayer onto the blu ray player and watch british TV through the bluray player (i.e. spoof it to think it is in the UK) whilst the Netflix I would watch direct through the TV

My question is do you think this is possible and what would be the best way to handle this? I was thinking of maybe getting a Boxee but that seems like overkill (especially when the TV, bluray player and PS3 do about 80% of what it does anyway) and that could of course be connected to only one TV. An apple TV would make sense with all the apple gear for video sharing as well (especially with the new features in mountain lion) but no VPN(which is crap when my iPhone has it!). Maybe a separate wireless router that handles VPN might be best and then I can just connect to whatever signal I need. What I want to also do is be able to watch live streaming TV from the UK (not just catch up stuff) - my UKIVPN allows me Sky access so to watch the footie on my TV would be a real treat

I have tried concocting something with the Toshiba PC but the solution is very old school, the picture is crap and for some reason which I cannot be bothered to resolve it keeps hard crashing playing video.

I'd really appreciate any ideas on how best to accomplish the above - obviously I don't want to spend a lot more money as I've already got the wife hopping mad on expenditure to date and she seems to think furniture is a more important requirement just now.

Thanks
Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-12-2012, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My experience with VPN is in the corporate world.
They are terribly slow. My current work VPN tests at a Write speed of 700 KB/sec. Or 0.7MB/sec.
File transfer over something this slow is useless. Perhaps your VPN is faster.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page