Netflix Tests New Features on PS3 Users - AVS Forum
Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming > Netflix Tests New Features on PS3 Users
espodo's Avatar espodo 06:20 PM 08-15-2012

It looks like PlayStation 3 users are the guinea pigs for a couple of new beta features that Netflix is trying out. PS3 seems to have been chosen for testing due to its large processor.

 

One feature that was just officially announced is Post-Play (though users report that it has been in action for weeks now):

 

Quote:

Now, when watching episodes of your TV show, when the credits start to roll, Netflix will minimize them and preview the next episode in the series. Viewers can then immediately jump to the next episode.

 

The same thing goes for movies. Rather than making users go back to the main menu and search for what they want to watch next, the post-play experience will bring up recommendations to keep viewers engaged.

 

 

Post-Play effectively streamlines the Netflix experience, as navigating its menus can often be frustrating when all you want to do is watch that next episode of Mad Men, like, now.

 

Another controversial feature that has just been rolled out for testing is Netflix Max, which is effectively like a Siri for streaming video. It is featured on the latest update to Netflix's app for the PS3 only, though many report that Max isn't enabled for them, even with the update. Max makes interactive recommendations about what you may like to watch next:

 

Quote:
Max audibly talks to viewers and prompts them to answer a number of questions to find new movies. Netflix clearly emphasises the gamification aspect, even prompting users to “play Max” in the PS3’s home menu, and turning movie rating into “The Ratings Game.”

 

Here's some footage of Max in action.

 

It is to be seen whether Max will survive or not. Thoughts?

 

 

 

http://techcrunch.com/2012/08/15/netflix-post-play/

http://gigaom.com/video/netflix-max-ps3/



mnc's Avatar mnc 05:49 AM 08-16-2012
I love post play! I wish every netflix device did it.
GusGus748s's Avatar GusGus748s 08:36 AM 08-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

I love post play! I wish every netflix device did it.

What I really wish from Netflix is new content.
oiskaio's Avatar oiskaio 09:08 AM 08-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

What I really wish from Netflix is new content.

^^^ This exactly. I left for 6 months, came back and it was the exact same things (minus a tv season or 2) to choose from for streaming. A once great service is quickly going down the drain.
Reddig's Avatar Reddig 09:50 AM 08-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

What I really wish from Netflix is new content.
Me too bro, me too.
TheWolf56's Avatar TheWolf56 10:09 AM 08-16-2012
I could have sworn the X-box 360 has had the Post-Play type of feature for a while. My wife and I noticed when we started a tv series and the credits would roll on the left hand side of the top of the screen, a frame from the next episode would be in the right hand side of the top of the screen, a short description of the next episode would be in the bottom-left of the screen, and the option to select "Play next episode" in the bottom-right of the screen. Made it really easy to navigate.
dvran's Avatar dvran 10:09 AM 08-16-2012
Me too.

I saw Sherlock Holmes on the list, thinking it was the new movies, only to see it was the 1960's version. wth?

We only do Redbox now and the local library has all the new "series" shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones...

My buddy says, "dude, it's only $8 per month", but why should you throw money away?
GusGus748s's Avatar GusGus748s 10:16 AM 08-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvran View Post

Me too.
I saw Sherlock Holmes on the list, thinking it was the new movies, only to see it was the 1960's version. wth?
We only do Redbox now and the local library has all the new "series" shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones...
My buddy says, "dude, it's only $8 per month", but why should you throw money away?

I do Redbox, Blockbuster, but I haven't tried the local library. As a matter of fact, I've never been to the library ever since I moved to this city. I think I'm going to go and see what they have. Thanks!
dvran's Avatar dvran 10:56 AM 08-16-2012
The libraries now are all pretty much equiped with websites where you can search and reserve movies. Most times you get put on a waiting list but if you request a lot of stuff, you'll always have something to watch. Some libraries even carry Bluerays now. I figure my tax dollars are paying for the library so we should use it.
cshawnmcdonald's Avatar cshawnmcdonald 10:56 AM 08-16-2012
Siri? No. Not Siri.

More like "You Don't Know Jack," the gameshow video game. I suspect Max may have been produced by the same people. If not, they were certainly inspired by YDKJ.

Netflix is still being "punished" for Qwickster. Starz pulled their content rights after the debacle and none of the other big studios are in a hurry to sell Netflix any additional streaming rights, especially those with their own startup streaming services.

CinemaNow is a dollar cheaper than On-Demand from U-verse, and even though the new content drops at a glacial pace, it does churn some new content.

If Netflix doesn't emerge from their corporate Amish shun soon, I'm going to cancel.
GusGus748s's Avatar GusGus748s 11:02 AM 08-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshawnmcdonald View Post

Siri? No. Not Siri.
More like "You Don't Know Jack," the gameshow video game. I suspect Max may have been produced by the same people. If not, they were certainly inspired by YDKJ.
Netflix is still being "punished" for Qwickster. Starz pulled their content rights after the debacle and none of the other big studios are in a hurry to sell Netflix any additional streaming rights, especially those with their own startup streaming services.
CinemaNow is a dollar cheaper than On-Demand from U-verse, and even though the new content drops at a glacial pace, it does churn some new content.
If Netflix doesn't emerge from their corporate Amish shun soon, I'm going to cancel.

I had netflix since the day they started. I had DVD and streaming all i one package. It was awesome, and I didn't really mind their online library wasn't as big because I always had the DVD options. Once they changed to the new pricing. I went with only streaming, but after all the dumb decision, price increase, and not adding any new content I cancelled. I've been renting from Redbox and Blockbuster now.
mrkdilkington's Avatar mrkdilkington 08:13 PM 08-16-2012
When was the last time Netflix updated their Windows Media Center plugin? 2 years ago? I'm getting a PS3.
GusGus748s's Avatar GusGus748s 08:45 PM 08-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkdilkington View Post

When was the last time Netflix updated their Windows Media Center plugin? 2 years ago? I'm getting a PS3.

WMC is not going to receive any more updates or support from Windows / Microsoft anymore. So, I don't think Netflix is going to update anything either.
RemoWilliams84's Avatar RemoWilliams84 01:25 PM 08-17-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolf56 View Post

I could have sworn the X-box 360 has had the Post-Play type of feature for a while. My wife and I noticed when we started a tv series and the credits would roll on the left hand side of the top of the screen, a frame from the next episode would be in the right hand side of the top of the screen, a short description of the next episode would be in the bottom-left of the screen, and the option to select "Play next episode" in the bottom-right of the screen. Made it really easy to navigate.

You're right, xbox has had this for a while now. Not sure why they are saying its a PS3 beta test.
Up
Mobile  Desktop