Amazon 5.1 Audio Quality Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-16-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using a Roku 2 XS to stream purchased episodes of Breaking Bad (HD 5.1 audio). All works well until I pause the playback with the Roku. With the Roku paused there is an extremely loud, intermittent buzzing noise from the right front 5.1 speaker. Putting the Roku into stereo mode eliminates this intermittent buzzing.

This problem only occurs when streaming from Amazon, never from Netflix 5.1 or any other audio or video source I have tried. Once again, the problem does not occur during playback, only when playback is paused at the remote. I can work around this issue by muting the audio before pausing, but I'm curious if anyone is experiencing this or has a solution.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-19-2012, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just connected my Roku to my receiver via HDMI and bought Hell on Wheels, which was supposed to be in 5.1, but all I get is stereo. Is there some way to check/change the Roku audio output?
post #3 of 6 Old 08-19-2012, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Yes, under settings you can change the audio output.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-19-2012, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econoline View Post

I'm using a Roku 2 XS to stream purchased episodes of Breaking Bad (HD 5.1 audio). All works well until I pause the playback with the Roku. With the Roku paused there is an extremely loud, intermittent buzzing noise from the right front 5.1 speaker. Putting the Roku into stereo mode eliminates this intermittent buzzing.
This problem only occurs when streaming from Amazon, never from Netflix 5.1 or any other audio or video source I have tried. Once again, the problem does not occur during playback, only when playback is paused at the remote. I can work around this issue by muting the audio before pausing, but I'm curious if anyone is experiencing this or has a solution.
Thanks.

This is a known problem. I use a Pioneer 1020 AV reciever with a Roku 2 XS. Amazon 5.1 streams gave me the same issues. I stopped using Amazon streams with 5.1 as I was afraid of damaging my speakers.The only fix is not to use 5.1 on the Roku. I ended up just canceling my 1 week old Prime subscription since that was the main reason for having Prime. I am interested in seeing if the new Vizio Co Star will fit my needs of a Netflix, Amazon, and HBO Go streamer. If it can deliver these services in 5.1 and 1080P we will have a winner. If the Costar cannot deliver I will have to find A second streamer to use with the Roku . that can deliver Amazon in 5.1 successfully.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-19-2012, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post

Yes, under settings you can change the audio output.

How do you get to settings?
post #6 of 6 Old 08-19-2012, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
There should be a settings icon on the home screen of your Roku. I don't have the Roku 2 but the previous version, however I see it's still there from online videos.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page