Network Switch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-17-2012, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to connect my Denon Receiver and Panasonic Blu-Ray player to the network. I currently have the Denon connected via an Apple Airport Express. This setup doesn't have any major hiccups. The Plasma is currently setup wirelessly however the Blu-Ray is in a cabinet so the signal is minimal at best. I have looked at a few different network unmanaged switches primarily Netgear because that it the brand of router I am using. Does anyone use a 5 port Gigabit switch currently in their setup or have any suggestions?

Panasonic TC-65VT50 * Panasonic DMP BDT500 * Def Tech BP7004 * Def Tech CLR 2002 * Def Tech SM350 * Def Tech BP2X * Denon AVR3312CI * Apple Airport Express * Antec Soundscience AV Cooler * BDI Eras 8357
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-17-2012, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 208
GigaBit switches are pretty common these days. You shouldn't need to spend more than 20 or 30 dollars for one. I have an 8 port from MonoPrice and have 2 PCs, a HDHR Prime tuner, 3GB of network storage and a 10/100 wireless router connected. The router WAN port goes to my Cable modem. It just works.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-17-2012, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yes Monoprice is a good choice. Trendnet's Green series is also affordable and runs very cool. I had an older Netgear 5-port switch and a D-Link 8-Port switch that both got very hot. That said their newer models may be better in this regard. Fry's has an inexpensive house brand that works well. As olyteddy said previously, gigabit switches are common and most should work fine for you.
post #4 of 14 Old 08-18-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.

I do not have an Ethernet port where the system is setup. Not sure why the
home audio people didn't see that as important.mad.gif So I would be connecting the
Gigabit switch to the Airport.
If you have any different suggestions please advise.

Thanks again.

Panasonic TC-65VT50 * Panasonic DMP BDT500 * Def Tech BP7004 * Def Tech CLR 2002 * Def Tech SM350 * Def Tech BP2X * Denon AVR3312CI * Apple Airport Express * Antec Soundscience AV Cooler * BDI Eras 8357
post #5 of 14 Old 08-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconner View Post

Thanks for the input.

I do not have an Ethernet port where the system is setup. Not sure why the
home audio people didn't see that as important.mad.gif So I would be connecting the
Gigabit switch to the Airport.
If you have any different suggestions please advise.

Thanks again.

Maybe dumb question but wouldn't gigabit be severely limited being hooked via airport which is based from a wireless connection?

I wired from our office from where our modem is out to our living room/HT to a green series switch, for best results you need to be completely wired.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #6 of 14 Old 08-18-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Hardwired would be the preferred method of connection. Due to lack of crawl space
in the house has prevented me from running any cable.

post #7 of 14 Old 08-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hardwired would be the preferred method of connection. Due to lack of crawl space
in the house has prevented me from running any cable.

There are ways to hide it if you want to or can put some molding up.... The molding has a hollow space for cables.

post #8 of 14 Old 08-18-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate-avfan-da View Post

Maybe dumb question but wouldn't gigabit be severely limited being hooked via airport which is based from a wireless connection?
I wired from our office from where our modem is out to our living room/HT to a green series switch, for best results you need to be completely wired.
True, but GigaBit switches don't cost much more than 10/100, and if you upgrade to wired it will be worth it.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate-avfan-da View Post

True, but GigaBit switches don't cost much more than 10/100, and if you upgrade to wired it will be worth it.

True, never hurts.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

post #10 of 14 Old 09-04-2012, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

I had an installer come out to see if Cat6 could be run and unfortunately with the amount of fire blocks in the walls alone not to mention the Sheetrock damage would be cost prohibitive in repairs and divorce court. Our house is 4322sq ft with a measured distance of 77ft from the office (router location) to the family room where the system is located. Has anyone used the Powerline products by Netgear? This seams to be a viable solution and certainly a lot cheaper with potentially similar results. I have a 5 port switch already Netgear GS105 that should connect ok. Or I can get something like this: http://www.netgear.com/home/products/hometheater/networking-for-home-theater-and-gaming/GS605AV.aspx
and connect the Powerline to it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

post #11 of 14 Old 09-04-2012, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Also, what about something like this:
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/hometheater/networking-for-home-theater-and-gaming/WNHDB3004.aspx

post #12 of 14 Old 09-05-2012, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I currently use both TrendNet Green Series and Netgear GS108. I replaced the 8 port gigabit TrendNet with the Netgear. For some reason or another the Trendnet would not let my server connect at gigabit speed full duplex.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #13 of 14 Old 09-05-2012, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:

Also, what about something like this:
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/hometheater/networking-for-home-theater-and-gaming/WNHDB3004.aspx

That would work if you don't stream high bitrate HD movies.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #14 of 14 Old 09-05-2012, 12:44 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I had an installer come out to see if Cat6 could be run and unfortunately with the amount of fire blocks in the walls alone not to mention the Sheetrock damage would be cost prohibitive in repairs and divorce court. Our house is 4322sq ft with a measured distance of 77ft from the office (router location) to the family room where the system is located. Has anyone used the Powerline products by Netgear? This seams to be a viable solution and certainly a lot cheaper with potentially similar results. I have a 5 port switch already Netgear GS105 that should connect ok. Or I can get something like this: http://www.netgear.com/home/products/hometheater/networking-for-home-theater-and-gaming/GS605AV.aspx
and connect the Powerline to it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Powerline works fine for me and my dune, using a Netgear 500mb kit consistently providing between 80-90 mb/s... which is plenty more than enough to stream even the highest bitrate BR, and more than double what the typical wireless setup delivers consistently.

Depends on the wiring in your house though if you'll get similar or better or worse results.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page