XBox 360 as HiFi Audio Streamer??? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming > XBox 360 as HiFi Audio Streamer???

Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

motomatto's Avatar motomatto
10:38 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 3
08-17-2012 | Posts: 5
Hello,

I'm considering using an XBox 360 to stream audio to a hifi 2-channel system (through the optical out). For sake of argument, lets say my audio setup is a Peachtree Nova powering a pair of B&W 805S (aka a nice DAC to a set of very nice bookshelf speakers).

I know the XBox 360 upscales all audio to 48 khz. Will this upscaling affect the "listening" experience? Do you think I'll be able to tell the different between the XBox versus a system that natively supports more audio formats (ie Sonos or Squeezebox).

The same question applies to AppleTV. It upscales everything, but it's a pretty sweet package for $100.

Thanks!
Matt
mlknez's Avatar mlknez
07:40 AM Liked: 18
post #2 of 3
08-18-2012 | Posts: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomatto View Post

Hello,
I'm considering using an XBox 360 to stream audio to a hifi 2-channel system (through the optical out). For sake of argument, lets say my audio setup is a Peachtree Nova powering a pair of B&W 805S (aka a nice DAC to a set of very nice bookshelf speakers).
I know the XBox 360 upscales all audio to 48 khz. Will this upscaling affect the "listening" experience? Do you think I'll be able to tell the different between the XBox versus a system that natively supports more audio formats (ie Sonos or Squeezebox).
The same question applies to AppleTV. It upscales everything, but it's a pretty sweet package for $100.
Thanks!
Matt

As long as you ONLY use CD quality (44.1khz/16bit/2channel) you should be fine.Sonos is only CD quality as well. The squeezebox touch can go to 96khz/24bit/2 channel. A Dune Player, Popcorn Hour, or Netgear 550 can go to 192khz/24bit/8channel via HDMI
michaelkingdom's Avatar michaelkingdom
04:18 PM Liked: 17
post #3 of 3
08-19-2012 | Posts: 463
Sent you a PM.

I run the following:

SONOS Connect - plays FLAC uncompressed, XM / Pandora / Rdio / Radio
Outlaw RR2150 Receiver - fantastic USB DAC - warm, detail rich and great with B&W
B&W 805N

Very, very happy with my system.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Subscribe to this Thread