I'm a little confused - need to split my ethernet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-18-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am finally getting all my entertainment together in my living room, but I only have one "live" ethernet outlet (coming from my comcast modem/router -Arris TG852- upstairs).

I want to hook up my PS3, yamaha receiver, panny plasma, directv receiver, and a wireless repeater (?). So if I understand the what I have read here on the forum correctly I need to hook this live outlet to an ethernet switch--Is that correct??

Any specific brands/models I should look for or does it not matter? Since I also want to get a wireless source in the living room should i use something like this...: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Amped+Wireless+-+High+Power+Wireless-N+600mW+Smart+Repeater+and+Range+Extender/4279308.p?id=1218468424799&skuId=4279308

I am also currently renting my modem/router from Comcast. It has been working well (no resets required which was the daily norm on my previous router). However, ever since I downgraded the speed--from extreme blast to the one below it seems as though the wifi strength has decreased...makes no sense but it happened the same day. I am sure there are better modems/routers out there....any suggestions.

Sorry for all these probably simple questions, but clearly my approach of simply splitting my single cable into multiple failed miserably:D

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-18-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Well I think you have two issues. In the living room I'd go for a simple 8 port switch, can be had from monoprice for $20 or so, and connect all your stuff.

You will save money in the long run if you buy a candle modem/router and quit leasing. I stay far away from cable so there're is nothing I can suggest, but I'm sure others will.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-18-2012, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 217
A switch is indeed what you need. You could use a wireless router set up as an access point to get your wireless into the second area and save a bit. I have the MonoPrice switch, I don't have that particular wireless but it looks like it would work. Or look at the Motorola Wireless Gateway and the MonoPrice switch. At $7 a month rental, the modem has an ROI of about a year and a half.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 10:15 AM

Liked: 11
I would use Power line ethernet to get the signal to the media cabinet, then use a small 1G switch in the cabinet to connect your A/V gear to the Internet.

Power line Ethernet is cheap - you plug one unit in to a power receptacle near your modem and another near your media gear. Hook your modem to the first unit with CAT5e cable and you will have a working port in the media gear location.

But why is your modem downstairs? I presume you have cable for the AV gear. Why not put the modem in the media closet, use the switch to connect to the AV gear, then have a wireless head near your TV?

Oh, and get your own cable modem. When you lease they often give you older stock because it is cost them less. Amazon or Frys will have great, current models for a reasonable cost, or older models for very cheap.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by archbid View Post

I would use Power line ethernet to get the signal to the media cabinet, then use a small 1G switch in the cabinet to connect your A/V gear to the Internet.
Power line Ethernet is cheap - you plug one unit in to a power receptacle near your modem and another near your media gear. Hook your modem to the first unit with CAT5e cable and you will have a working port in the media gear location.
But why is your modem downstairs? I presume you have cable for the AV gear. Why not put the modem in the media closet, use the switch to connect to the AV gear, then have a wireless head near your TV?
Oh, and get your own cable modem. When you lease they often give you older stock because it is cost them less. Amazon or Frys will have great, current models for a reasonable cost, or older models for very cheap.

Any reason I should use power line ethernet since I have a direct ethernet connection between the router.modem and the outlet downstairs??

Also, the reason I am keeping the modem upstairs was simply to have it connected to the main computer/office.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfr42720 View Post

Any reason I should use power line ethernet since I have a direct ethernet connection between the router.modem and the outlet downstairs??
Also, the reason I am keeping the modem upstairs was simply to have it connected to the main computer/office.
NO! that was bad advice in your case. Use a switch with the direct connection you have!
The advice about getting your own cable modem was good though! biggrin.gif
post #7 of 9 Old 08-21-2012, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

NO! that was bad advice in your case. Use a switch with the direct connection you have!
The advice about getting your own cable modem was good though! biggrin.gif

Yeah I will do that. Only reason I went with theirs was that during the time when I had the "triple-play" I was forced to use their modem. And compared to the modem and router I had before I was actually pleasantly surprised. I have yet to reboot this thing, whereas in my old setup I had to do it once or more every day. Granted, I had an older modem and router. Any suggestions for "top-notch" modems and routers ??
post #8 of 9 Old 08-21-2012, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
post #9 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slates View Post

You can try this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6121-SURFboard-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B004XC6GJ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345569690&sr=8-1&keywords=Motorola+SB6121+SURFboard+DOCSIS+3.0+Cable+Modem
I just bought it, have been using it for a couple of weeks with no problems at all.
Been using that one as well for a couple weeks. No issues at all with my set up which includes 2 different wireless routers and Three switches...
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page