My Popcorn Hour A-300 is worse than my A-100: How is this possible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 08-20-2012, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought my Popcorn Hour A-100 way back in April 2008. I never was interested in the whole jukebox thing - I just wanted to play my files. It truly is one of best products I have ever purchased in my entire life.

I wanted to see how things have improved with the product and so I bought the A-300 and upgraded the firmware to the latest version.

This thing is WORSE than my A-100.

1. Gigabit Ethernet - if you are going to print it on the side of the box you better damn deliver on that promise.

2. Audio Dropouts - I don't think I have ever had an audio dropout on the A-100. That thing is so rock solid. With the A-300 I now know what an audio dropout is and it is damn annoying.

3. For some reason it doesn't play my .M3U playlists.

4. For some reason it won't play DVD rips.

I'm ready to send this thing back. Highly disappointing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-20-2012, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
1. Has been beaten to death the interface is gige it syncs at gige so yes its gige. Speed does not dictate what you call it. With that said the fastest speed you will see is 280mbit or so.

2. What audio format if its dts-hd or truehd its known issue.

3. Don't use music so no idea but first I have herd of it.

4. What format dvdrip iso/videots ? If ISO this issue has came up go to the nmt forums and follow the 10 steps if something is not working. You will do a factory reset flash old firmware flash new
Again and then factory reset. And ISO should work.
post #3 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtltke137 View Post

I bought my Popcorn Hour A-100 way back in April 2008. I never was interested in the whole jukebox thing - I just wanted to play my files. It truly is one of best products I have ever purchased in my entire life.
I wanted to see how things have improved with the product and so I bought the A-300 and upgraded the firmware to the latest version.
1. Gigabit Ethernet - if you are going to print it on the side of the box you better damn deliver on that promise.
2. Audio Dropouts - I don't think I have ever had an audio dropout on the A-100. That thing is so rock solid. With the A-300 I now know what an audio dropout is and it is damn annoying.

This was my experience as well. Of course, I had a crapload of issues with the c200 when it first came out as well, but they EVENTUALLY resolved them and the c200 is a solid player. I would expect the same curve from 300.
I had a 300 right around launch and sent it back due to the issues you mention, and others you did not. Do yourself a favor if you want a solid player NOW, send it back and pick up a used 200. Or, you can ride it out with the 300...
post #4 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Another C-200 owner who had two A-300's sent back because they were buggy. I have a c-200 for sale in the classifieds BTW
post #5 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

With the most recent release of the A300/C300 firmware i would put it on par with the 200 series with the exception being seems not all the iso/bdmv/video_ts bugs are worked out. For single file formats its the same. But not to many people reporting on the multi formats much.
post #6 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

With the most recent release of the A300/C300 firmware i would put it on par with the 200 series with the exception being seems not all the iso/bdmv/video_ts bugs are worked out. For single file formats its the same. But not to many people reporting on the multi formats much.
How in the universe can you put it "on par" with the 200 series when it still struggles and has issues playing content that the 200 series does without issue???
post #7 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

Another C-200 owner who had two A-300's sent back because they were buggy. I have a c-200 for sale in the classifieds BTW
Not any more...biggrin.gif
post #8 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

How in the universe can you put it "on par" with the 200 series when it still struggles and has issues playing content that the 200 series does without issue???

what files does it not play? I have not come across a single file the a300 has not been able to play. I use my A300 as my main player now.
post #9 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:

what files does it not play? I have not come across a single file the a300 has not been able to play. I use my A300 as my main player now.
Then you clearly are not using DTS-HD soundtracks on your blu ray rips. I am not trying to pick fights but there are numerous people who will also tell you that the 300 will have a crap load of audio drop outs with DTS-HD AND that the C200 plays them just fine..
post #10 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then you clearly are not using DTS-HD soundtracks on your blu ray rips. I am not trying to pick fights but there are numerous people who will also tell you that the 300 will have a crap load of audio drop outs with DTS-HD AND that the C200 plays them just fine..

MKV does not suffer same dropout as bdmv/iso Like is said single file format its on par. full folders and such not so much.
post #11 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 09:29 PM

1. Sigma 8671 is a low end chip.
2. Very few design wins and therefore not much incentive for Sigma to fine tune the reference design or SDK.
post #12 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPawDog View Post

1. Sigma 8671 is a low end chip.
2. Very few design wins and therefore not much incentive for Sigma to fine tune the reference design or SDK.

and that 8671 has what to do with the A300 that runs 8647.
post #13 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:

and that 8671 has what to do with the A300 that runs 8647.

My mistake. But that make it even worst as I only know one other player uses 8647. Two design wins in a small market is not a viable business.
post #14 of 21 Old 08-23-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:

MKV does not suffer same dropout as bdmv/iso Like is said single file format its on par. full folders and such not so much.
I get that mkv is doing better than ISO files, but when I already have over 60 TB's of ISO files that the c200 played just fine that does not mean much to me..
I would expect that if I am going to "upgrade" that those files should play as well or better than what I am using now...
My brother almost bought a 300 series, but luckily for me I killed that sale and picked up Sean's 200 for him. He saved money and will get a more stable player..
post #15 of 21 Old 08-23-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I get that mkv is doing better than ISO files, but when I already have over 60 TB's of ISO files that the c200 played just fine that does not mean much to me..
I would expect that if I am going to "upgrade" that those files should play as well or better than what I am using now...
My brother almost bought a 300 series, but luckily for me I killed that sale and picked up Sean's 200 for him. He saved money and will get a more stable player..

I agree it still needs work but for most people full disc rips are a thing of the past, less and less players are playing them, To bad MKV never finished the menu standard
post #16 of 21 Old 08-26-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:

I agree it still needs work but for most people full disc rips are a thing of the past, less and less players are playing them, To bad MKV never finished the menu standard

I agree with you as well. I've been ripping my TV Shows as ISO since it was easier to do, but now I am going to start ripping as single file episodes just to make it easier to run my Zappiti and YAMJ/Eversion jukeboxes. I've never have had an issue with DVD TV Shows ripped with MakeMKV. However, I've had issues with BD movies with MakeMKV. MakeMKV has been in Beta stage for a long time.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #17 of 21 Old 08-26-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I agree with you as well. I've been ripping my TV Shows as ISO since it was easier to do, but now I am going to start ripping as single file episodes just to make it easier to run my Zappiti and YAMJ/Eversion jukeboxes. I've never have had an issue with DVD TV Shows ripped with MakeMKV. However, I've had issues with BD movies with MakeMKV. MakeMKV has been in Beta stage for a long time.
Yeah, I have ALWAYS had issue with MKV with blu ray. I ALWAYS have lip synch issues wether it is played on the neotv550 or one of my Dunes. FWIW my wife does not notice the lip synch issue on the Dune but does on the neotv 550! Go figure that..
post #18 of 21 Old 08-30-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hmm - my A300 is being delivered tomorrow as an 'upgrade' to my A110 which works perfect for my .ts and dvd iso files except that for some high bitrate bd .ts rips some scenes 'stutter' in video only. I've read this should not occur w/the 300. I know what rips to test and if it happens 'back it goes'. If I encounter HD audio drops with my .ts BD rips? - back it goes (probably).
I tried to buy a refurbed A110 but my order was just canceled since they have no more. I was tempted to buy a refurbed C200 since I would suspect all the real 'heartburn' issues have been resolved and from this thread it appears that's the case.
hmmm.....maybe I'll buy a refurbed C200?

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #19 of 21 Old 08-30-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

Hmm - my A300 is being delivered tomorrow as an 'upgrade' to my A110 which works perfect for my .ts and dvd iso files except that for some high bitrate bd .ts rips some scenes 'stutter' in video only. I've read this should not occur w/the 300. I know what rips to test and if it happens 'back it goes'. If I encounter HD audio drops with my .ts BD rips? - back it goes (probably).
I tried to buy a refurbed A110 but my order was just canceled since they have no more. I was tempted to buy a refurbed C200 since I would suspect all the real 'heartburn' issues have been resolved and from this thread it appears that's the case.
hmmm.....maybe I'll buy a refurbed C200?

I used to own a PCH-A300 when it came out. I had a hard time setting it up to access my file via my network. Also every movie I played that had HD sound track would lose sound completely. However, PCH has been busy trying to fix the bugs, and they have fixed a lot of thing from what I've been hearing. However, there are still some issues with losing sound.

I ended up buying a PCH-A210 on ebay for $120 bucks, and it has bee rock solid. It was easy to set up, and it recognized my network without issues and it doesn't lose sound whenever play the HD sound tracks. biggrin.gif

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

Home Theater Set Up:

post #20 of 21 Old 08-30-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I just realized I put the wrong model in - I TRIED to buy a refurbed A210 but that order was canceled frown.gif
If the audio drop outs occur I'll probably just send it back..

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #21 of 21 Old 09-18-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtltke137 View Post

Quote:

2. What audio format if its dts-hd or truehd its known issue.

I watch a lot of video podcasts that I download through Itunes and watch on my streamer - especially from Revision3 and the like. Their audio format is AAC 48.0 KHz and for some reason there are audio dropouts on the A-300 whereas there are none on the A-100.

I ended up returning it. Maybe when I get my money back I will purchase a Mede8er MED1000X3D.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page