Need advice for GoogleTV-Dish - A/V distribution setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-21-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have 2 DirecTV HD DVRs in a network closet. The A/V from them is shared to 5 different TVs throughout the house with an AV switch and a Control4 system. I can view and control any DVR from any TV in the house using the Control4 remotes.

I'd like to add some Google TV functionality to this setup. I hate the DirecTV DVR interface and would also like to be able to play ripped DVDs and other videos from a networked hard drive. Here are my requirements:

--Have to use satellite (DirecTV or Dish). No cable options in my area. Internet is slow. (1.5mbps)

--Need to be able to record at least 3 programs at once.

--Need to be able to watch at least 2 recordings or live channels at once.

--Need to send output through the control4 system to any TV in the house and control from any room in the house.

--Need to be able to browse and play all common video formats from a shared network drive (ripped DVDs, Blurays, and home movies)

--Would like a DVR interface that's more user friendly than the DirecTV DVR.

--My distribution switch only accepts component input, no HDMI.

--Would like to watch Netflix, Amazon VOD, Youtube, and preferably online shows form the TV network websites if possible.

Here's my proposed setup:

--2x Dish DVRs with 2 tuners each

--GoogleTV unit (not sure which one?) hooked up and integrated with one of the Dish DVRs. (passing through HDFury to convert HDMI to component.)

--Control4 programmed to distribute 2 sources: Source1: GoogleTV with Dish DVR #1 passing through. Source2: Dish DVR #2 direct output.

Will this work as I think and meet all of the requirements listed above? Any better options to accomplish what I want? It would be nice if I didn't have to split my programming and browsing of recorded shows between 2 DVRs, but I can't figure out any way to accomplish that and still get at least 3 simultaneous tuners...

Any help or advice before I pull the trigger would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-21-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ack226 View Post

I currently have 2 DirecTV HD DVRs in a network closet. The A/V from them is shared to 5 different TVs throughout the house with an AV switch and a Control4 system. I can view and control any DVR from any TV in the house using the Control4 remotes.
I'd like to add some Google TV functionality to this setup. I hate the DirecTV DVR interface and would also like to be able to play ripped DVDs and other videos from a networked hard drive. Here are my requirements:
--Have to use satellite (DirecTV or Dish). No cable options in my area. Internet is slow. (1.5mbps)
--Need to be able to record at least 3 programs at once.
--Need to be able to watch at least 2 recordings or live channels at once.
--Need to send output through the control4 system to any TV in the house and control from any room in the house.
--Need to be able to browse and play all common video formats from a shared network drive (ripped DVDs, Blurays, and home movies)
--Would like a DVR interface that's more user friendly than the DirecTV DVR.
--My distribution switch only accepts component input, no HDMI.
--Would like to watch Netflix, Amazon VOD, Youtube, and preferably online shows form the TV network websites if possible.
Here's my proposed setup:
--2x Dish DVRs with 2 tuners each
--GoogleTV unit (not sure which one?) hooked up and integrated with one of the Dish DVRs. (passing through HDFury to convert HDMI to component.)
--Control4 programmed to distribute 2 sources: Source1: GoogleTV with Dish DVR #1 passing through. Source2: Dish DVR #2 direct output.
Will this work as I think and meet all of the requirements listed above? Any better options to accomplish what I want? It would be nice if I didn't have to split my programming and browsing of recorded shows between 2 DVRs, but I can't figure out any way to accomplish that and still get at least 3 simultaneous tuners...
Any help or advice before I pull the trigger would be appreciated!

You may want to look at the Vizio Co-Star it looks like it will do all your stuff except there is limited functionality on playing back ripped files. I am not sure of the all the limitations because the product is so new (just released late last week).

Just so you know your requirements may not be possible from a "single" solution. If there is a single solution that did all that you asked, everyone would be buying it.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-22-2012, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

You may want to look at the Vizio Co-Star it looks like it will do all your stuff except there is limited functionality on playing back ripped files. I am not sure of the all the limitations because the product is so new (just released late last week).

Thanks for the information. I thought that all Google TV devices could play back video files from a networked drive. Is this a hardware limitation of the Co-Star, or am I misunderstanding this Google TV functionality? Can other Google TV devices play back ripped videos from a network drive? Do all Google TV devices integrate with Dish DVRs?
post #4 of 4 Old 12-03-2012, 04:28 PM

In case anyone out there is still interested. Got two Co-Star units today from Amazon, since the Vizio online store was sold out. These replace two Logitech units which I got early in their release cycle.

Very easy setup. One of the units has direct line-of-sight to the satellite box and the television, it has instant response from the remote. The other unit works with a setup which relies on IR relay to the media closet, the remote has a bit of a lag (I know the Co-Star remote is supposed to be paired via Bluetooth to the base station, but there is also an interior partition wall for it to traverse). Like the Co-Star remote, with the track pad on one side and the QWERTY keyboard on the other. Keys are a bit small for adult fingers, but then again, might just be that my generation did not grow up texting.

Did not have to re-register for NetFlix, my account log-in page loaded quickly.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page