Looking for a way to send video content (stream) to my TV wirelessly - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Here's what I have: Samsung 40 inch flat screen, NO direct internet connection on it, laptop with built in wireless, wireless router already in use by my laptop and squeezebox. What I want to do is stream content from the internet such as Hulu (free) and other sites with free programing to my TV via wireless.
Currently I have to hook up a video cable and audio cable to my laptop, but I would like to do it wirelessly so I don't have the hazard of cables laying on the floor in the pathway.
What do I need in order to do this? Just let me know the list of items I will need to accomplish this. I'm thinking one of those Roku jobs, but I don't know if that is all I would need or if it is correct?
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 34
You can do the Roku as you suggest and get the PLEX app as well on it. This will get you your personal media if you have any ripped movies on your laptop or another computer on your network. You would need to run Plex Media Server on the laptop or other pc's. You can have more than one server running on different pc's and have a client and server on the same computer. Good luck.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, then my only question would be can I stream free content from Hulu and other sites through the Roku? From what I have read so far it sounds like one has to have a paid subscription to stream content from Hulu etc. or am I reading it wrong?
I need not worry about the PLEX app as I have no content stored on my PC.
I'm trying to find a Roku rep someplace to discuss that device in more depth before I purchase it, but I can't seem to find anyone.
post #4 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you have A fast enough internet connection the Roku would give you HD Netflix and Hulu + for $16.00 a month. A Roku can be had for as little as $50.00. Just hook it up on your network and your done. Also Roku offers Tons of free apps. If your intent is totally free quality programming , work will be involved if its even possible.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The Roku will only give you Hulu + which is $8 a month. It will not give you Hulu unless you use something like PlayOn and that costs money. There is a Plex channel for Hulu but it is not totally reliable on my Rokus.

An HTPC will let you do what you want.

Philip

post #6 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm, yes, I was wanting to transmit the free content from Hulu or Itunes, etc. I have no interest in a bunch of monthly subscriptions adding up to the price of full cable with limited content in my interest. (In over 50% of the case it's far cheaper for me to buy the DVD which I do now anyway for what I can get, but some stuff I watch I can not get on DVD or the DVD is very expensive.
Looks like even though those Roku units are reasonably priced (Heck, I'd pop for the cadillac model at $100 or what have you), but it looks like they won't do what I want to do. Building an HTPC is not what I had in mind and is very expensive just to do one trick, plus I have no place to put it anyway. I guess I'll just stick with the cables across the floor and hope nobody trips over them (it has not happened yet over the past 6 months or so). I prefer old school anyway.
Thanks
post #7 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 12:15 PM

Liked: 10
Only 3 ways i think to do this;

1. use a box such as roku/ATV, where they are connected to the TV (hdmi cable), and you use a IR remote to select their content. Look at "their" content to see if its what you're looking for. simple UI but restricted content
2. Use a ipad to mirror whats playing on the Ipad to an apple TV connected to the TV, again look at apple's content to see whats allowed to airplay. I think its only itunes content and photos. Nice UI but no hulu.
3. Use a laptop with a "WIDI" type device, which is a small brick that connects to you laptop, and another to the video input of the TV, then what ever you play on the laptop is displayed on the screen. eg NETGEAR - Universal Push2TV HD Wireless PC-to-TV Adapter. Not sure though on the throughput. There's may be pauses.

derek

Capall
post #8 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 44
A few points in addition to what has already been suggested.

1) Perhaps you can alleviate the tripping hazard by using a wireless keyboard and pointing device and keeping the laptop close to the TV.

2) Roku is probably not a good bet based on your desire to use free Web services or to view content from your computer in general. However, it is a good option if used with subscription services (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu+) and they have some free options as well (Crackle and various radio apps).

post #9 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capaill View Post

Only 3 ways i think to do this;
1. use a box such as roku/ATV, where they are connected to the TV (hdmi cable), and you use a IR remote to select their content. Look at "their" content to see if its what you're looking for. simple UI but restricted content
2. Use a ipad to mirror whats playing on the Ipad to an apple TV connected to the TV, again look at apple's content to see whats allowed to airplay. I think its only itunes content and photos. Nice UI but no hulu.
3. Use a laptop with a "WIDI" type device, which is a small brick that connects to you laptop, and another to the video input of the TV, then what ever you play on the laptop is displayed on the screen. eg NETGEAR - Universal Push2TV HD Wireless PC-to-TV Adapter. Not sure though on the throughput. There's may be pauses.
derek

Ah ha! #3 may be my answer. Yes, I am just trying to get content from the computer to my TV wirelessly as far as video goes. (I'm set for music). I've learned something new here: WIDI I've never heard that term before, but it sounds like an answer.
I was also probably not detailed enough in my initial question. I only watch shows like Nodern Marvels, How It's Made, PBS, Documentaries and the like. I also watch classic TV like Colombo, Space 1999 etc, but I just get that stuff on DVD as it's cheap as ol chips. All that stuff listed though is not available on Roku or Netflix, etc. and not for free if it is somehow. I already have access to that stuff for free and am just trying to find a way to eliminate the cables across the room.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

A few points in addition to what has already been suggested.
1) Perhaps you can alleviate the tripping hazard by using a wireless keyboard and pointing device and keeping the laptop close to the TV.
2) Roku is probably not a good bet based on your desire to use free Web services or to view content from your computer in general. However, it is a good option if used with subscription services (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu+) and they have some free options as well (Crackle and various radio apps).

Yes, putting the PC next to the TV is another viable option, but the only spot would be in front on a TV tray, not the safest route there, but.....
post #11 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 01:34 PM

Liked: 12
I believe your computer also has to be compatable with a WIDI device.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman99 View Post

I believe your computer also has to be compatable with a WIDI device.

Yes, you are correct and sadly, my PC is not compatible with the Push to TV device. However, there is another product called the PTVU1000 that might work as it's a universal adapter so you just stick one part into a USB port on the PC and the other part (the little box), plugs into the TV.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

There is a fantastic way of getting stuff from a Mac to a TV. That is the ATV. It will only work with a fairly new Mac ( 2011 summer or later roughly) and Mountain Lion. Then you simply mirror your Mac to the ATV. With Remote Buddy and an iPod Touch you can have the Mac living anywhere in the home. It will automate the mirror process ( one selection of which ATV) and control whatever you want to run. That gives you Hulu. You can run Plex, XBMC, VLC, browser, etc... It's not quite perfect yet but it's very close.

For anyone with a MacBook ( mid 2011) and an iPhone or iPod Touch the purchase of the ATV3 becomes very tempting. It does make apps on the ATV less of an issue.

philip
post #14 of 19 Old 08-22-2012, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 59
^^ what is the quality like? From what i understood it transcodes everything doesnt it? so its not outputing like 1080p and such.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-22-2012, 08:49 AM

if you're referring to apple TV, (ATV), then thats been out for years and is limited to apps that then provide content, such as hulu.

You could also use a simple PC connected to the TV, then use windows media center and a tuner to get all channels. You can use a tuner for non cable TV channels (loads such as silicon dust home run) or a cable compatible tuner for cable channels. (ceton), then use a simple windows media center IR remote pointed to your PC like it was your cable box, which is fact it is, as WMC is a DVR software for your PC, you can just tune in to watch live TV or record it

Capall
post #16 of 19 Old 08-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by capaill View Post

if you're referring to apple TV, (ATV), then thats been out for years and is limited to apps that then provide content, such as hulu.

It's true that Apple TV has been out for years and that when used with an iOS device, only supported Apps can output to the Apple TV via Airplay. However, the new version of Mac OS that just came out (10.8 Mountain Lion) has an Airplay Mirroring feature which allows Macs to stream to Apple TV in ways that were not previously possible. I have not updated my Mac to Mountain Lion yet, but my understanding is that you can stream anything from your desktop to an Apple TV now if you have the required hardware, an Apple TV and the latest version of Mac OS.
post #17 of 19 Old 08-22-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

^^ what is the quality like? From what i understood it transcodes everything doesnt it? so its not outputing like 1080p and such.

I haven't played enough with it to answer the 1080p file issue. I don't have my iMac set at 1080p (()x900 or so). I was waiting for the Rowmote upgrade. I am pretty sure it is not transcoding and the display on the ATV certainly seemed higher than 720p.

I used both XBMC and Plex for playing a 720p file. I then played the same video on my new Sony GTV box. The Sony was slightly better but that doesn't mean much as it has an outstanding picture when up scaling to 1080p.

I was not using wireless though. Maybe that is where you saw the 720p limitation?

Apart from a tiny issue with Rowmote the whole process was uncanny. Much better than the jailbreaking route.

Until I get my new Mini there is one aspect of this that was hard to take. The iMac is in the same room as the TV and you can't just turn off the iMac's display. So you are getting "stereo" video which is annoying.

Nothing seems blocked by the process. It's as though the ATV is an external display, but with audio. Another strange thing is the ATV then works with the remote that is paired with the iMac even though the ATV is paired to a different remote.

I'll try a bunch of the Birds' video files later. Those are all 1080p.

Philip

Edit: I played a bunch of 1080p files via XBMC. They played as 1080p on the ATV3. I used bitrates of 40 mbps for the Birds' clips with no stuttering. Watched a couple of TV shows and noticed a couple of slight stutters, but hardly noticeable. We were really looking. Really very impressive, especially with Rowmote which handles launching everything.

Basically, this really is a fine replacement for a jailbroken ATV2. Way better in fact as XBMC on the ATV2 was never quite ok. It isn't for Windows' oriented users though. You have to be in the Apple world for it to all work nicely.
post #18 of 19 Old 08-22-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Well, that D-link universal device might be or might not be the answer as I can't find any reports on it's throughput quality much less any user reviews. It would be a waste of money to get it and find out it doesn't work. So unless or until I get a new laptop that's WIDI capable (which is a very long way away), the only way to get my computer display to my TV is via wired connection it seems.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-02-2013, 07:57 AM

Hey

I have the same problem. I guess you know how to use Allshare? I know it dont fix the problem, since you doint get the option to stream from the pc, just bring files back and forth. Another ting I found out is that samsung made an app for Samsung tab, Duel screen. This app is not for pc or mobil.

After what i have read you need to by a box like google tv, netgear or other. My laptop is an Samsung 9series 2012 model. It should not have any problems using duelscreen on a smart-tv, but maby they block it out to earn more money.

Did you find a way?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page