Netgear VueZone Completely Wireless IP Cameras - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 08-21-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Netgear recently acquired Avaak makers of the incredibly clever Vuezone wireless ip cameras. Home monitoring cameras have been on a tear for years now. Companies like Foscam really changed the business with their low cost wifi based pan tilt cameras. But Netgear really has a winner here in my opinion. The problem with even wifi cameras is the need for power. So applications are limited to placing cameras near where you have an a power outlet.

The Vuezone solves that problem because these cameras are battery powered. But due to their low power design they should run for a year or more on a single watch type battery according to my sources at Netgear. The cameras also have done a good job with lens options. I have several Foscams with pan tilt. This was important I thought to give me a full scan. True in some cases but for the most part I set them and leave it. Ideally what would be best is a mix of lens options to a wide angle or a tighter focal length. Vuezone offers these options. This is ways is better because when you are remote using PT can be frustrating over wifi. At least in my experience it often is a crap shot in how well the PT commands respond.when you are remote with a cell connection.

Vuezone also fixes another biggie for remote access. Instead of having to open ports and forward ip to your cams Vuezone has their own site which you log in to to get camera access. No fixed ip or static ip access needed. The Vuezone portal tunnels to your cameras so regardless of you internet situation you will be able to access these cameras.

Vuezone also has a host of access options from smartphones to pc's. The UI that I saw on an iPhone was very nice indeed.

I am anxiously waiting for a set of Vuezone cameras. I have a vacation home that does not have an ip address that is accessible from the outside world. You need tunneling like the Vuezone portal to access it. Things like Log Me In or Netgear Readyshare work since they use this tunneling methodology. But my current camera solution Foscam does not. So I am view less. This always creates levels of anxiety for me. Vuezone will take care of that.

On top of that Vuezone also has motion detecting to which can send alerts when motion is sensed. Something in my case that will come in handy.

Netgear will be releasing Vuezone packages early September. From what I have been told there will be several versions and configurations. There will be one designed for vacation homes that includes a camera designed to be placed outdoors in a tree for example that can look at your house from the outdoors. With wifi and battery power this is now possible and easy.

I cant wait. I have wanted something like this for a while.

Netgear did really well on this acquisition in my opinion.

Ill report back once I get my hands on the cameras and put them to use.

In the meantime if anyone has questions Ill be happy to answer them if I can. Ask away.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant

UPDATE Installed the Cameras in my vacation home early September 2012. Below is my review.

I received and installed the basic Vuezone package which included 2 cameras and the Vuezone access point. The setup was extremely fast and easy. In particular the Vuezones have by far the BEST camera mounting system I have come across. Looking at the pictures I couldnt imagine how they mount. But included in the package is the 2 cameras and 4 silver mounting balls. The cameras attach magnetically to the balls. The balls can be mounted either by a nail or screw or through the adhesive backing which is what I used. Because of the wireless aspects the cameras can be placed in areas you might never consider mounting a camera. I placed them in corners, on a wood beam, below a mantel. I can easily move them around when I need a different view point. The net is I absolutely loved the mounting setup.

The cameras themselves are very nice build quality. They do exude a quality feel to them. Much more so then my Foscams. Size wise they are about a third the size of a Foscam and with the mount is more like 20% a Foscam. So these are really inconspicuous.

The setup is is connect the access point to the router via a wire. There is no wireless connection so if the router is out of the way from where you want the cameras this may be an issue. There is no repeater that I am aware of so you need to consider this. Otherwise you will be forced to use some type of wire extender like Powerline to connect the access point to the router.

Assuming the wired portion is set you then simply pair the cameras to the access point. Very easy 1 button type of operation. No issues and worked the 1st try. After that it is on to the web to create a Vuezone account. There is a number on the access point which you use to link the cameras to your account. Once done you choose your plan and you are good to go.

The plans. Well the first time you set them up you get a premium plan. This gives you mobile access through IOS and Android. There is also Cloud based recording and storage, notification alerts and pan and zoom. The pan and zoom works surprisingly well. I was shocked actually. It is no substitute for a true pan capability but if the camera sees it you can get right into it with the controls. I liked it.

The free plan limits you to 2 cameras. The premium you can use up to 5. They have an annual purchase for the premium of $36 as a promo when you first activate and when your trial is expiring. The free plan limits the use to web browsers only. It will not work with a mobile browser like an iPad. I tried. No it limits it to PC based browsers. If you need occasional check in status that is OK. But I will admit it is limiting. The only capability you get with the free plan is viewing. So the pan zoom, alerts, mobile and recording are not available.

The video quality is very good. In fact I think it is better then my Foscams. Video is detailed and colors bright and not to saturated. Really good. And the lense is very wide but without fish eye distortion. Again better then my Foscams.

Unlike other cameras like Foscams and third party software you cant do multiple views simultaneously. With Vuezone you look at 1 camera at a time. The benefit is you connect quickly. The downside is if you want to see multiple views it is a manual process. This is where auto recording would be very good to have. Premium feature. The other thing Vuezone lacks is infrared nightime viewing. With Foscams you can see in the dark. Not well or far but they do work in a dark room. Vuezones do not have that capability at all.

The mobile clients are very nice to use. Both IOS and Android are similar in use. Web browser is OK but not very sexy. But does what it needs to.

Battery life is expected to be in the range of 6-12 months. The batteries are widely available camera batteries. Cost is about $2 each and each camera uses 2. So for annual expense looking at $4-$8 for the batteries. Notifications and video recordings drive usage so mileage will vary based on that application. My system is in about a month with no noticeable change in battery level. And on all viewing software battery level is easily seen.

So all in all is this. If wireless (no power or network connections to the camera) is important there is nothing like these. It is your only choice. If it isnt then the value is in the sleek size, mounting and general ease of use and high quality capability. I think most users will want the premium capability so you need to bake that in as well. And regardless the internet tunneling for connections that do not have public access like I have is essential. That is my case where these are placed.

So For the technically enabled who does not mind dealing with port forwarding, running wires etc this is probably not your solution. But those users are the minority of the population. For everyone else this is a great solution to a problem many would like to solve. I highly recommend Vuezone for those users without hesitation. I really like mine and happy with them so far.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
mark_anderson_u likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-28-2012, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Is the vuezone going to be available in the uk?
post #3 of 28 Old 08-28-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The Vuezone cameras will be available worldwide. The official US launch is Sept 24. This launch includes updated models and packages. The Europe launch will follow shortly. The hardware is the same just the back end system is being finalized. Then the Asia PAC area will follow.

So I would look for UK availability. In the October timeframe.

Bob Silver
post #4 of 28 Old 08-28-2012, 09:48 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

The Vuezone cameras will be available worldwide. The official US launch is Sept 24. This launch includes updated models and packages. The Europe launch will follow shortly. The hardware is the same just the back end system is being finalized. Then the Asia PAC area will follow.
So I would look for UK availability. In the October timeframe.
Bob Silver

Bob, so you would advise at this point anyone interested to wait until 09/24/12 when the updated models launch? Do you have any info on what improvements the new products/packages will be offering?
post #5 of 28 Old 08-28-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes i would wait. There will be lenses options which don't exist along with an outdoor version fr placement in a tree as example. The packages will contain a few variations in camera configs and lenses. So I would wait a few more weeks.

I was just informed Netgear has a demo camera system for me. I'll get it next week and give it a review on this thread.

Bob Silver
post #6 of 28 Old 08-28-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
post #7 of 28 Old 08-28-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The vuezone site is the only thing up right now. The product updates will occur beginning in Sept 24. There will be several packages with multiple cameras starting at $199. You will also be able to buy components individually too.

Bob
post #8 of 28 Old 08-28-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:

The vuezone site is the only thing up right now. The product updates will occur beginning in Sept 24. There will be several packages with multiple cameras starting at $199. You will also be able to buy components individually too.
Bob

Looking forward to the product updates! smile.gif
post #9 of 28 Old 08-28-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Prices....I was getting ready to buy a couple Foscom cameras for my home, but I'm thinking of waiting for this one and see what they offer. Then again, price will be an issue as well.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 28 Old 08-28-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As I mentioned I own 6 Foscams. The Vuezone cams are priced in line with Foscams. They are maybe 10-15% more then standalone Foscams. But you get capabilities the Foscams don't and can't deliver.

So I would weigh those. Complete wireless setup. Great remote connection capabilities. And a variety of configurations.

Clearly there is a pace to both.

Bob Silver
post #11 of 28 Old 08-30-2012, 06:29 PM

Problem I see with Vuezone is they want you to pay them a monthly/annual service fee to use them. I am not interested in more monthly service fees.... my opinion.
post #12 of 28 Old 08-30-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
6 months per battery at 5 minutes a day? It won't take much motion sensing to run that battery down. My take: toys.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #13 of 28 Old 08-30-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalynx View Post

Problem I see with Vuezone is they want you to pay them a monthly/annual service fee to use them. I am not interested in more monthly service fees.... my opinion.

There is a free plan for 2 cameras with PC access. That is all I need for my vacation home. The pay plan is 49.95 per year for mobile access, 5 cameras and digital pan zoom along with alerts.

Bob Silver
post #14 of 28 Old 08-31-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

There is a free plan for 2 cameras with PC access. That is all I need for my vacation home. The pay plan is 49.95 per year for mobile access, 5 cameras and digital pan zoom along with alerts.
Bob Silver

Does/will your vacation home have broadband internet access?

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #15 of 28 Old 09-04-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

Does/will your vacation home have broadband internet access?

Yes it does. You really cant do anything with cameras without it.

Bob
post #16 of 28 Old 09-04-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Bob Silver

Why do you need a plan to view your cams? Couldn't you just port forward your cameras through your home router/firewall?
post #17 of 28 Old 09-04-2012, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Why do you need a plan to view your cams? Couldn't you just port forward your cameras through your home router/firewall?

The Vuezones add a number of capabilities to add value to their product. And one of those are their portal access. As I mentioned in my post some isp's don not allow public access to your address. As such you cannot get to your house to access them. So port forward only works if you can see an external ip address. In my vacation home that is the case.

Also most folks dont understand how to port forward. Plus even if you do setting them up and getting a clean install can be confusing. VueZone takes care of that.

That said if you have an external ip access and the Vuezone features are not important to you then these may not be the cameras for you.

For me in my vacation home they will be great because of 1. the external access through their portal 2. the battery operation for outdoor camera access.

Bob Silver
post #18 of 28 Old 09-25-2012, 08:47 AM

Bob, any news on the product/plans updates?
post #19 of 28 Old 09-27-2012, 04:50 AM

Hi Any more news when they will be launching the camera's
post #20 of 28 Old 09-27-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb4133 View Post

Bob, any news on the product/plans updates?

Camera kits are shipping now. NETGEAR will be releasing the outdoor camera option in mid October. With that there will be some new kit configurations. But as of today they have 3 kits with the indoor cameras. One with out motion detection and 1 with.

NETGEAR will also be releasing additional options to the cameras as time goes on. But the base versions available now are here to stay. I would not hesitate purchasing the kits now.

Bob

Ps. I will update this post with my experience installing the system in my vacation home when I get some time. Traveling right now. But the short version is the install went great. No issues. Set up was a breeze. Performance is excellent. Very happy. More later.
post #21 of 28 Old 09-27-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

The Vuezones add a number of capabilities to add value to their product. And one of those are their portal access. As I mentioned in my post some isp's don not allow public access to your address. As such you cannot get to your house to access them. So port forward only works if you can see an external ip address. In my vacation home that is the case.
Also most folks dont understand how to port forward. Plus even if you do setting them up and getting a clean install can be confusing. VueZone takes care of that.
That said if you have an external ip access and the Vuezone features are not important to you then these may not be the cameras for you.
For me in my vacation home they will be great because of 1. the external access through their portal 2. the battery operation for outdoor camera access.
Bob Silver

Maybe I should ask this differently... What can I do with the plan that I cannot do by just port forwarding? Anyone can get a service to turn a dynamic address to a static name with dyndns or another such service. Do you have a link to the new camera kits?
post #22 of 28 Old 09-27-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As I stated earlier certain ip addresses are not public in that YOU CANNOT get access by services such as DYNDNS. If you can get external access then that is no benefit for you. in my vacation that is an isue for me. Vuezone solves that.

Now other as aspects unique to Vuezone are these;

1. totally wireless including power
2. best camera mounting system I have seen. It is magnetic ball which is fabulous.
3. If you get the premium service plan ($49.95/year) then you get emailed motion alerts, cloud recording storage, Pan and zoom, IOS and Andriod apps and ability to use 5 cameras. (free service has a limit of 2 cameras)

If none of the above benefits re valuable nd you have external access to your ip address to your home then these may not be what you want. But for certain applications the Vuezones have a very compelling feature set.

Setup BTW is also extremely fast and easy. I will post more on this later when I am done traveling on business.

Bob
post #23 of 28 Old 09-28-2012, 08:56 AM

H i do you have a UK launch date yet? also would you have a link,cheers, barry
post #24 of 28 Old 10-08-2012, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry6521 View Post

H i do you have a UK launch date yet? also would you have a link,cheers, barry

UK launch will be end of November I am told. No links as of yet but I suspect they will be sold at the normal locations Netgear products are sold.

Bob
post #25 of 28 Old 10-21-2012, 10:00 PM

I have 2 sets of Vuezone from a year ago. I was miffed at the yearly subscription fee.
After the free 2 months of recording, I never saw the camera function, unless signing in.
That 2 month trial showed the following: poor night time recording and 2. recording activation is very much delayed from motion sensor - a big problem.
I would view emailed recording showing no one in view or someon's back for fraction of a second.
There is far too much delay in activating the camera to record.
Hoping Netgear improves this..

The outdoor camera I wanted and will look to this in October.
post #26 of 28 Old 12-12-2012, 09:20 AM

As with most manufacturers, I find their product information lacking. For example, I would like to know the following:
- What is the video frame rate?
- The User Manual says that you can choose between resolutions of 320x240, or 640x480, or 1600x1200, but do they have different frame rates?
- It supposedly has "pan and zoom" but isn't it really just a digital zoom, with no actual movement of the camera lens and no additional resolution?
- How much space does the video take up per minute, which is important to know since the storage space is limited and we have to continually stream it to their servers?

It also seems to have what I think are severe limitations.
- Motion detection recordings can only be 10 seconds or 40 seconds, which is not enough in my opinion.
- Only one camera can stream or record at a time. If you want multiple camera views, you get consecutive snapshort from each camera in a round-robin fashion, which must be at a lower frame rate.
- You can only record one camera per gateway at a time, so if you want multiple views of activity, you are out of luck.
- You can only schedule one recording per camera per day.

And finally, the worst limitation:
- The cameras are effectively useless without the premium subscription since you lose the capability to use motion-activated recordings. Why? This should be built into the cameras.

Does anyone know of another viable wireless solution that overcomes these limitations and has high-quality resolution and a good frame rate?
post #27 of 28 Old 12-12-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtechinator View Post

As with most manufacturers, I find their product information lacking. For example, I would like to know the following:
- What is the video frame rate?
- The User Manual says that you can choose between resolutions of 320x240, or 640x480, or 1600x1200, but do they have different frame rates?
- It supposedly has "pan and zoom" but isn't it really just a digital zoom, with no actual movement of the camera lens and no additional resolution?
- How much space does the video take up per minute, which is important to know since the storage space is limited and we have to continually stream it to their servers?
It also seems to have what I think are severe limitations.
- Motion detection recordings can only be 10 seconds or 40 seconds, which is not enough in my opinion.
- Only one camera can stream or record at a time. If you want multiple camera views, you get consecutive snapshort from each camera in a round-robin fashion, which must be at a lower frame rate.
- You can only record one camera per gateway at a time, so if you want multiple views of activity, you are out of luck.
- You can only schedule one recording per camera per day.
And finally, the worst limitation:
- The cameras are effectively useless without the premium subscription since you lose the capability to use motion-activated recordings. Why? This should be built into the cameras.
Does anyone know of another viable wireless solution that overcomes these limitations and has high-quality resolution and a good frame rate?

I use the cameras at the 6408480 resolution. Id say the frame rate is about 15fps. Its good enough for surveillance.

The pan and zoom is digital. The lens is fixed. The quality is very good so the digital P+Z actually works quite well. Surprisingly so.

The motion recordings have limits yes. But it will record multiple segments. But true it is not 1 long video. Reasons aside from storage are also battery life. Recording video will cut battery life a bit.

Recording 1 camera per day or gateway??? Well I suspect that if you have multiple cameras recording simultaneously that might create a upload bottleneck. But you can set multiple camera triggers for recording as I have done. I use the motion sensing not a recording schedule. I also opted for still shot capture as opposed to video for battery life extension.

And yes you really do need the premium service to get the most from these. I bought the annual plan and it was $36. They offer this when you sign up and when your trial expires. So cost wise it isnt bad.

So one more time the big advantage to the Vuezone is they run on batteries This was essential for my installation. Also their network tunneling was also a must have for me due to my isp limitations. And compared to my Foscam installation at my main residence I will say this. They are more reliable and have better video quality. And the setup couldnt be easier.

So again I will say if the wireless battery operation and feature set isnt what you need buy the Foscams. Each have their virtues.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
post #28 of 28 Old 12-02-2013, 09:13 PM

Hi 

I am looking into getting some of these for my home and need a few tips / pointers and advice as i live outside of the united states. if anyone can offer some advice or help it would be greatly appreciated.

Some of the questions i have are: If i got some shipped over would i be able to register it on the vuezone website? and is there any reason why it wouldn't work?

also if i did ship some do you think i could still make full use of one of their service plans?

the only issue i can think of, though im no expert, would be if i can access their servers outside the u.s.a or not? and if i could would the distance from the server have much effect or delay on capturing video in motion detect mode?

if i could register, log on and lag was minimal it would still be functional and usable as a motion detect survelance system.

This system is just what i am looking for as it offers a complete solution for my requirements, i understand that if i have any problems with the product i may not have warranty or customer care, due to my location but if it is able to correspond with their servers in the usa and remain functional i do not mind forfeiting these services.

any advice or thoughts would be a great help,

if the vuezone is not a possibility for me then maybe i could use some names of similar products

thanks

sniz

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page