Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-21-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey everyone.

So I'm looking for a media CENTER more than a server. Like a stand alone box that I can plug a HD into and play my BD backups (some are cinavia protected), dvd backups and some avi files. So far I've backed up the entire BD disk on HD, but unsure if the media players will play the folder or I need to extract to ISO. Been reading about full menus and ISO's but I'm getting pretty confused on which player did what.

Don' t really need the server side, not streaming from a computer. Just would like to plug an external HD and go. Netflix is done on the PS3.

I've been playing with backing up Bd's lately and of course run into the cinavia problem with the PS3. Thought about going with a stand alone BD player (sony 550) which is cinavia free right now, but at some point Sony will update there firmware to enable cinavia.

Read on the WD Live forums that someone posted WD's firmware just incorporated cinavia, not sure if this is true or not.

I do like WD, only because it's cheap at $70. Not looking to spend a fortune if possible. However, I would like a quality picture with HD audio.

Right now I'm Ps3 > DVDO Duo > Denon 887

Any suggestions,
Thanks very much !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-21-2012, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by anam8tr View Post

Hey everyone.
So I'm looking for a media CENTER more than a server. Like a stand alone box that I can plug a HD into and play my BD backups (some are cinavia protected), dvd backups and some avi files. So far I've backed up the entire BD disk on HD, but unsure if the media players will play the folder or I need to extract to ISO. Been reading about full menus and ISO's but I'm getting pretty confused on which player did what.
Don' t really need the server side, not streaming from a computer. Just would like to plug an external HD and go. Netflix is done on the PS3.
I've been playing with backing up Bd's lately and of course run into the cinavia problem with the PS3. Thought about going with a stand alone BD player (sony 550) which is cinavia free right now, but at some point Sony will update there firmware to enable cinavia.
Read on the WD Live forums that someone posted WD's firmware just incorporated cinavia, not sure if this is true or not.
I do like WD, only because it's cheap at $70. Not looking to spend a fortune if possible. However, I would like a quality picture with HD audio.
Any suggestions,
Thanks very much !!!!
a dune or popcorn hour will do what you want...
post #3 of 9 Old 08-22-2012, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Hey everyone.
Any suggestions,
Thanks very much !!!!

I believe the WD has issues with HD audio, someone correct me if I am wrong. Also the WD will not play BD ISO.

Based on what you described as your needs, I would go with a PCH or Dune box. I have a PCH A-210 and really liked it. Took some time to get setup correctly but once done, very solid and played everything. One thing of note is I belive the PCH box do not support full BD menues. I have read the Dune boxes do.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks guys, appreciate it.....
post #5 of 9 Old 08-22-2012, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The pch a210 and c200 as well as the a300 support full Blu ray menus..:
post #6 of 9 Old 08-22-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:

Untrue

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Guys, have a newbie question again.

The A series and C series of PCH have there differences, one is confusing to me, BD licenses. The C has it while the A does not. What exactly does that mean when playing backups? Or is this because the C can add a bd drive and the A can not? Also, if DTS or True HD audio sometimes has problem with the A series (dropouts or not playing), can the A (or C for that matter) downmix for you (5.1 or 2 ch) or you have to mux on a pc? Thanks guys......

Not sure if the A is the way to go, been reading up on it. Seems like the C is way more stable and has the usb expansion ports. Both are the same price, used.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:

Guys, have a newbie question again.
The A series and C series of PCH have there differences, one is confusing to me, BD licenses. The C has it while the A does not. What exactly does that mean when playing backups? Or is this because the C can add a bd drive and the A can not? Also, if DTS or True HD audio sometimes has problem with the A series (dropouts or not playing), can the A (or C for that matter) downmix for you (5.1 or 2 ch) or you have to mux on a pc? Thanks guys......
Not sure if the A is the way to go, been reading up on it. Seems like the C is way more stable and has the usb expansion ports. Both are the same price, used.

With the C, you can add a BD/DVD drive, but they can both play ripped BD full menus. However, the 300 series does have audio drop outs. I used to own a PCH-A300, and I returned it due to the audio drops. I never have had any audio drops with my A210 though. Furthermore, they can downmix the audio as well.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #9 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks !!!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List