Help me decide: Vulkano Flow or Slingbox Pro HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-24-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm planning on purchasing a placeshifter next week to get ready for the NFL season, and my constant travels. Since the main reason I am going to purchase one of these is to remotely watch DVR'd Football games, and probably other sports down the road, the video quality and smooth playback is most important. My home internet connection is very strong (10Mb up and down), and will be hard wired to an unmanaged gigabit network switch.

I sort of assume the Slingbox ProHD is the better choice over Vulkano flow, but both seem to have pretty good horror stories of use. At $110 for the Vulkano Flow from Amazon, and $240 for the SlingBox Pro HD, their is a big difference in cost.

I called Vulkano to see what their placeshifting top resolution is, and he stated (in a difficult to understand accent, and order of speech) that I can view it at 720p over WiFi, or 480i on a mobile device. I cannot find any confirmation of these figures, nor a review stating this to be accurate.

Now, the slingbox pro HD states it can placeshift at 1080i, which is great, but at $240 over $110, and have known issues in build quality, with many users units failing within a few months.

Anyone with recent experience with either, please respond with your opinions. They are much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I ordered the Vulkano Flow. Only $100, and I won't be watching it on anything great, and iPad and a laptop mostly. Will update with usage info.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Read http://vulkanocommunity.com to get an idea of customer satisfaction with Vulkano products.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:04 PM

I thought about buying something to put in my parents house back in NE Ohio so that I can watch the Browns' games.

I am looking into it, but it would still seem the whatever the TV is tuned into is what I would watch, I'll have to check on that. I've not owned one of these before. With MLB and NBA I just buy the package, but NFL seems hardly worth switching to DTV and all that. Parents are DTV and I am aware of some HDCP issues but if I am looking to watch local broadcast channels showing nfl games I should be fine.

Anyone else done something like this?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:15 PM

I have the Vulkano Flow predecessor model (can't remember the name). The info you received are correct. You can get 720p on wifi and 480i on cellular. The resolution is based on how the device is connected to the internet. For instance my cellular connection speed (3+mbps) is good enough for streaming 720p but since the app reads my phone as connecting to a 3g network the best resolution I will get is 480i. If I use my phone's 3g connection as a hotspot and connect another device and stream Vulkano tv from it I will get 720p resolution.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2