HBO Finally Goes Stand-Alone Streaming...... in Scandinavia - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 08-30-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19

Considering the multitudes of people who have been waiting for HBO to offer its streaming service separate from a mandatory pay-TV subscription, this is great news...sort of. HBO has finally decided to cut the cord and offer its programming without a cable subscription, but it is only offering it in Scandinavia - that's Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark. The service will be called HBO Nordic AB:

Quote:
HBO will make the Nordic region the first market where its programming will be available to consumers without requiring that they have a pay-TV subscription. The move sets HBO up to go head to head in competition in those countries with Netflix.

The announcement marks a major shift for HBO's traditional business model, which has always required paying a monthly surcharge for a linear channel on top of a basic subscription to cable, satellite and telco providers. What's different this time around is that Scandinavia is a market where HBO doesn't have to protect an entrenched business model as lucrative as the one in the U.S., where a standalone product would jeopardize its deals with distributors from Comcast to DirecTV. HBO's digital offshoot, HBO Go, has been available only to current HBO subscribers -- a decision that has drawn plenty of criticism in the blogosphere.

HBO Go is available internationally but only to those who purchase the HBO premium channel. While HBONordic.com and HBO Go are similar products, HBO's standalone product in the new countries will not be branded HBO Go.

At least it's a step in the right direction...

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118058484

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-30-2012, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, that's something. It shows that they are interested and want to test the market. I wonder what their criteria are going to be? How many people cancel their cable to buy this? Seems like whatever they learn from Scandinavia is not going to apply directly in the US. I guess we'll wait and see.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-30-2012, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Never EVER going to happen here in the states. Way to much money and licensing agreements with satellite and cable companies. HBO is owned by one of the largest cable companies in the United States.
post #4 of 17 Old 08-31-2012, 01:06 AM

Liked: 10
Pricing will be 15 USD per month for this service.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-31-2012, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsyth View Post

Pricing will be 15 USD per month for this service.

So what is pay-tv pricing over there? And what do these services charge for HBO?
post #6 of 17 Old 08-31-2012, 06:41 AM

There are no HBO channels over here (at least not in Norway, but I don't think they're available in any of the other countries either). HBO shows are scattered among several different pay TV networks, which are available at very different prices.

EDIT: Hmm. They're not as scattered as I thought... Canal+ (changes name to C More next week) has an option for HBO's shows. Other channels can show old episodes, or they can get the shows Canal+ passes on.

In Norway, Canal+ offers 7 movie/series channels, (1 is in HD), and 6 sports channels (1 is HD). A subscription costs 219 NOK per month ($38) for the movie/series channels, 269 NOK ($46) for the sports channels or 289 NOK per month ($50) for all channels.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-31-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by trondmm View Post

There are no HBO channels over here (at least not in Norway, but I don't think they're available in any of the other countries either). HBO shows are scattered among several different pay TV networks, which are available at very different prices.
EDIT: Hmm. They're not as scattered as I thought... Canal+ (changes name to C More next week) has an option for HBO's shows. Other channels can show old episodes, or they can get the shows Canal+ passes on.
In Norway, Canal+ offers 7 movie/series channels, (1 is in HD), and 6 sports channels (1 is HD). A subscription costs 219 NOK per month ($38) for the movie/series channels, 269 NOK ($46) for the sports channels or 289 NOK per month ($50) for all channels.

Are these commercial free channels? At those prices, they should be.
post #8 of 17 Old 08-31-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

Are these commercial free channels? At those prices, they should be.

Yes, they are.

The most common commercial channels are cheaper, but they're always included with the basic subscription for cable, satellite of terrestrial services. So, It's not trivial to determine the price for the individual channels. A basic digital cable subscription with about 30 channels will usually cost about 200 - 300 NOK ($35 - $52) per month.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-31-2012, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone know a good Scandinavian-based proxy service? wink.gif
post #10 of 17 Old 09-01-2012, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Yeah this is great news for the Nordic tribes, but once again we in the US are chained to the cable and satellite providers, much like with that NBC streaming of the Olympics a month or so ago.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #11 of 17 Old 09-01-2012, 06:26 PM

Anyone know what this quote means in regard to when different shows become available?

'HBO Nordic AB will not only offer the same current programming as would be available to HBO linear channel subs, but will also feature content from its rival networks in the U.S., Showtime and Starz, which lack international businesses'

They also say they will come with subtitles which makes it less likely they will be available same as in the US. Unless they are I see no way this will get many subscribers. If they simply mean that they will be available same as on Canal+ etc then I predict a huge fail.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That would be good s proxy or vpn in Norway so we can try thisHBO Go. In my case the freaking Able Company does not want to install lines to my home. But my friend who lives 600 feet from me has Cable TV. That pisses me off. Im stealing wireless signal from near opn routers but I honestly prefer better bandwidth. I have crap DSL at home running at 800Kbps. Yes, you read correct, 800Kbps. They said Im toofar from central. And the wireless hotspot Im joining runs at 6Mbps!!
post #13 of 17 Old 09-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Errr.. Cant edit my post on ipad. The edit button is not working. On my last post what I mean is I prefer to pay and get better bandwidth than the hotspot. Anyways is way faster then my DSL; but with a direct line from cable tv I can get 15Mbps for $25 and enjoy from Game of Thrones. I have to wait for Season 2 release on bluray to see it. frown.gif i not sure how good does the torrents posted on season 2 looks vs HBO Go. Either way would be nice but nothing compares to Bluray.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-03-2012, 07:46 AM

I think a strong reason that HBO picked scandinavia is the availabillity of high speed internet. Another reason is strong net neutrality laws.

/// CF

/// Carl-Fredrik
post #15 of 17 Old 09-03-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb123 View Post

Anyone know what this quote means in regard to when different shows become available?

'HBO Nordic AB will not only offer the same current programming as would be available to HBO linear channel subs, but will also feature content from its rival networks in the U.S., Showtime and Starz, which lack international businesses'

They also say they will come with subtitles which makes it less likely they will be available same as in the US. Unless they are I see no way this will get many subscribers. If they simply mean that they will be available same as on Canal+ etc then I predict a huge fail.

What that means is movies/content that SHO and Starz have under license in the US (which of course blocks HBO US from airing), can be picked up by this new Nordic venture. Theoretically, if SHO's Dexter isn't already licensed by a pay service there, HBO Nordic could purchase it from CBS/Paramount if they wanted.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #16 of 17 Old 09-03-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb123 View Post

What do you mean by "They also say they will come with subtitles which makes it less likely they will be available same as in the US. "?
Same time? They said they will be available next day in Europe. So Game of Thrones Sunday in the US, Monday in the EU.

There are rules about closed captioning in the US, so the texts are available, its just because nobody has cared before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFSM View Post

I think a strong reason that HBO picked scandinavia is the availabillity of high speed internet. Another reason is strong net neutrality laws.

High speed yes. Net neutrality laws - not a one.
post #17 of 17 Old 10-20-2013, 01:09 AM

I've been using HBO Nordic service on my Samsung Smart TV for the past month and I was very disappointed in a couple of areas. I'm comparing my experience with what I've had using Netflix and other vod services. The UI is very basic and isn't very good for viewing several series over an extended period of time and i've found the HD video quality is poor compared to other HD vod services in the region. I think its probably 720p video and not 1080p. Also there are some HBO shows not present like Deadwood and Oz.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page