Popcorn A400 sigma 8911 with vxp - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 75 Old 12-18-2012, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Here is an update from werner over at networkmediatank....

Just a little status update, we are working currently on a network patch which i hope get finished this week and then come with teh forum release, sigma told us that they will send us this week a possible fix for the audio issues, i hope it will really fix it, which i hope will also get included.

Regards,
Werner

Sounds promising... network and HD audio issues are the only thing holding this back from being near perfect for me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 12-18-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Just curious since I havent used a pre-bought streamer in years (I have multiple XBMC boxes I use), but what would be the draw to buying a box such as a Dune or the a400 over a pc running xbmc?
You mention multiple jukeboxes, adding jukeboxes, etc etc.
It seems that many of these boxes are at least as expensive as a inexpensive htpc and much more convoluted to have a nice GUI than running something like XBMC or even WMC.
What are the pros to something like the a400 over a htpc. My htpc's running xbmc in the livingroom and master bedroom are literally install and never touch again. I dont really ever need to update, change, tweak....they just do what I want.
That said, I wouldnt be opposed to a 'simple' streaming box for my 2nd bedroom or office...if the price is right and decent GUI and ease of use.
Thanks

one word... simplicity
post #63 of 75 Old 12-18-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:

Just curious since I havent used a pre-bought streamer in years (I have multiple XBMC boxes I use), but what would be the draw to buying a box such as a Dune or the a400 over a pc running xbmc?
It seems that many of these boxes are at least as expensive as a inexpensive htpc and much more convoluted to have a nice GUI than running something like XBMC or even WMC.
What are the pros to something like the a400 over a htpc. My htpc's running xbmc in the livingroom and master bedroom are literally install and never touch again. I dont really ever need to update, change, tweak....they just do what I want.
That said, I wouldnt be opposed to a 'simple' streaming box for my 2nd bedroom or office...if the price is right and decent GUI and ease of use.
Thanks

If your HTPC "just works" I wouldn't replace it. If you want something stable that doesn't have many bugs the A400 is not it. Dune media players are stable, but their hardware is old and they are expensive. However, they one some of the best if not the best jukeboxes in my opinion. For the price, customer service, and support I would recommend the Mede8er instead. Their only drawback is not having full jukebox support, and their current hybrid jukebox isn't the best for TV Shows. However, they are working on either support TV Show with their current hybrid jukebox, and they are working on getting Yadis to work with their media player.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #64 of 75 Old 12-18-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush78 View Post

one word... simplicity

To be honest, there is not such thing as simplicity with media players. You will always find something to thinker with to make it work. So, far my PCH-A210 and Dune Smart Series D1 have been solid for they type of files I've been using. I would love to find another Dune smart series for a decent price to replace my PCH.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #65 of 75 Old 12-18-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

To be honest, there is not such thing as simplicity with media players. You will always find something to thinker with to make it work. So, far my PCH-A210 and Dune Smart Series D1 have been solid for they type of files I've been using. I would love to find another Dune smart series for a decent price to replace my PCH.

True enough... I guess setting up and customizing YAMJ/Eversion is not exactly simple for beginners... I guess what i was try to say, was that its simple in terms of hardware...
post #66 of 75 Old 12-18-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Thanks

Ease of Use, while setting a stand alone xbmc is not hard once you get into multi database needing to share a mysql database and things it gets more complex, then you have to make sure you get the right type of remote control for each unit, setting up different remote profiles if you use different style remotes for each tv in the house, Each system's have there strength and weakness,
post #67 of 75 Old 12-18-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks

I was thinking exactly that way when I bought an Acer Revo RL70. It's never worked. I've tried every XBMC build there is and yet all I get is freezing, stuttering and audio drop outs.....

Now I have the A400 that does the same thing....all for the quest of a pretty (and functional) music jukebox. My Dunes run solid as rocks but, the interface as far as a music jukebox goes is nonexistent. Zappiti makes it pretty decent on the movie side of things though.

Steve
post #68 of 75 Old 12-19-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush78 View Post

True enough... I guess setting up and customizing YAMJ/Eversion is not exactly simple for beginners... I guess what i was try to say, was that its simple in terms of hardware...

More like a nightmare. I have never gone through anything worse in my life. I'd rather deal with WindowsX any day of the week ( and I don't care for that OS). With the exception of the Boxee Box the interfaces of most media players are just downright awful. Mind you, perhaps the new NMJ is ok. The 1st iteration wasn't great.

philip
post #69 of 75 Old 12-19-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post

I was thinking exactly that way when I bought an Acer Revo RL70. It's never worked. I've tried every XBMC build there is and yet all I get is freezing, stuttering and audio drop outs.....
Now I have the A400 that does the same thing....all for the quest of a pretty (and functional) music jukebox. My Dunes run solid as rocks but, the interface as far as a music jukebox goes is nonexistent. Zappiti makes it pretty decent on the movie side of things though.

Does Zappiti handle TV shows? What about Mac support?

philip
post #70 of 75 Old 12-19-2012, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Zappiti handles tv shows (like all the dune jukeboxes I know) but there's no Mac version (only Mac jukebox is duneX).
post #71 of 75 Old 12-21-2012, 07:38 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

If they get the network issue and dts-hd fixed it should be fine to use, I think the network issue is what is causing the most problems as people are just reporting files dont play, I have been using the A400 as a daily player for about a week, everything I have plays fine except dts-hd, It functions no differently really then the past models. and the strange slowdowns I get in flash when using eversion. But should note I dont use ISO files I am a single format MKV type person.

Until then the real shelves price shoul be around 50 USD or less. mad.gif
post #72 of 75 Old 12-21-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 601
The network speeds are much faster now with the release from yesterday. My BD ISOS would begin playing much quicker than with previous firmwares. Although still not as quick as my C200. The audio issue is something Sigma has to fix which they are supposed to be working on.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #73 of 75 Old 01-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Randomly came across the A400 on Amazon with one review. The guy gave it one star, and that was only for the ipad app. Sounds like a rough start.

Edit: So there is only a $30 difference between the A300 and the A400?

Edit #2: Sorry I assumed the coming soon thread was the old one and this was the new one, it was late and I was just looking at the names.
post #74 of 75 Old 01-14-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Dont rely on Amazon for reviews...Also its probably btter to check the "main" A400 thread where almsot all discussoin has gone on about this player:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1427748/popcorn-hour-a-400-is-coming-soon

Yes only $30 difference....
post #75 of 75 Old 04-01-2013, 08:47 AM

Liked: 10
Im now sure that the A400 dont play any files with 23.976hz nativly. It does 24hz instead and this results in a insertion of frame every 41th second.

Is the 8911 chipset able to send 23.976 or not? Even if it can... it dont do that atm.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page