USB-HD to Router Media Server to BluRay = Sporadic - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-03-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All, I have some new toys, including a cheap Compaq laptop (Win 7), a TP-LInk dual band router (WDR3600) and an LG BP220 BluRay (wired networking only). All I want to do here is play WAV files. Here are some test results:

(1) USB-HD ==> Router USB port using media server feature ==> Laptop running Win Media Player: OK

(2) USB-HD ==> BluRay front USB port: OK

(3) USB-HD ==> Router USB port using media server feature ==> BluRay: Sporadic results. Sometimes the BluRay does not even see the volume. Sometimes the volume is there and I can navigate thru folders to a file and play it. Then, when I stop play and select another file, The BluRay hangs for a while, finally returns to the previous menu after several minutes if I keep hitting BACK or HOME.

Is there an indexing issue? I would assume not, since the USB-HD plays fine in cases 1 and 2.

I think the BluRay does not fully support or mesh with the media server feature on the router, and I am probably out of luck unless there's a software/firmware upgrade for the BluRay. The BluRay did an update right after I set it up (two days ago). It also comes with Nero software to allow my desktop to act as a media server, but I don't want that, I want to use the router if possible.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-03-2012, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
So, are you trying to stream WAV files or are you trying to stream M2TS files, which is BD format? Are your ripping your BD? Wouldn't just be easy to use the LG BP220 as your BD player and play them that way. I don't understand what you are trying to do.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 09-04-2012, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

I rip all my music CDs to my desktop PC HD as both WAV and MP3. Both formats are backed up to external USB HD. (I use the MP3s for a pocket player, and in the car.) When I connect the external USB HD to my new router via one of its USB ports, and set up the router to serve the content as media, I see the symptoms already noted. This BD player is supposed to see the files, but does so only rarely. When I select MUSIC in the BD player menu, the router is (usually) in the list of available devices, along with any disc in the drive, or thumb drive or other drive connected to the BD's front USB port. Sometimes I can select the router and navigate to a file and play it, but usually not. I just get the LG version of a "busy" cursor. If I do make it to one file and play it, I'm done. I cannot select another file without restarting some or all devices, have not documented this yet. The exact nature of the problem might also depend on router settings, but there are not very many in the media server section.

I have several ways to play the WAV files, but option (3) in the OP might be the best, and it's the one that does not work right. My desktop PC is getting old, and I think the fidelity would be better with option (3). I have the means to test this, but have not gotten around to it yet. Even if the fidelity is the same, it's nice to have the option to play all my music thru the BD when the PCs are off. I'm not going to change my WAVs to some other format, nor burn them back onto disk as something else, I am happy with them as WAVs. Just wondering why this method will not work.

John
post #4 of 6 Old 09-04-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Have you tried connecting the hard drive or thumb drive to your LG player and see if it works that way. I've got a router that is able to have a hard drive connected to it via USB, but never used it that way. I used to have all of my stuff in my W7 PC and do all of my streaming from there, but now I've build a unraid server and that has all of my media in it.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

Home Theater Set Up:

post #5 of 6 Old 09-04-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Is your BD player wireless, perhaps?

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #6 of 6 Old 09-04-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

I think I noted in the OP that I have no problems when connecting to the USB port on the BD. I've tried connecting two drives (USB-HD 160gb and a 4gb thumb drive) both ways: direct to the USB port on the front of the player, and to the USB on the router. Both work fine direct-connect, neither works right via the router. The BD player is wired networking only.

I powered everything off, including my cable modem and router, powered all back up, did not help. Right now I have the 160gb unit connected to USB on the router. I can see it listed as a device in the BD player menu, navigate to a WAV thru several levels of folders, and play it. Then, if I hit STOP, then PLAY again, the song starts a second time but all controls on the BD player, including both remote and front panel, lock up. The song keeps playing, you have to pull the power cord to stop it. I should see what it does at the end of the song...

John
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page