PS3 vs. XBox vs. ATV2 vs. Denon AVR 2112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-03-2012, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a Synology DS412+ NAS with plenty of space and have a couple of questions about how to best to stream DVDs (non BD) and would appreciate any insight.

I plan on putting everything on the NAS for streaming to

1) Ipad 2

2) Windows 8 Laptop

3) MacBook Pro

4) Plasma TV through either
- PS3
- XBox
- ATV2
- Denon AVR2112 (if it can do it?)

Does anyone have a recommendation on which device will give me the best results and ease of use?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-03-2012, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Fortunately you are only ripping DVD movies, which makes it a lot easier than doing BD movies. I would suggest to use Handbrake and rip them a M4V, which should also save you some space. You will be able to stream them to everything wired or wireless! I know this because I used to do it before.

When I moved to the BD movies and HD sound, I had to get dedicated media players for it.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3 of 5 Old 09-04-2012, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

GusGus, thank you for the reply. What settings did you use on Handbrake for the M4V rip? Also, do you have any experience on which is best between PS3, XBox, and ATV2?
post #4 of 5 Old 09-04-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss77 View Post

GusGus, thank you for the reply. What settings did you use on Handbrake for the M4V rip? Also, do you have any experience on which is best between PS3, XBox, and ATV2?

Handbrakes have presetting for ATV2. However, ATV2 cannot play HD sound track, which shouldn't be and issue since you are only doing DVD's. I used to use Handbrakes in batch mode. I would rip like 10 to 20 movie a folder structure (full movie) to my PC, and then add all 10 to 20 movie to Handbrake and let it rip them over night since it takes about 30 to 45 min per movie depending on your settings.

I used the High Profile preset. The only thing I change or made sure were the Audio Track. I made sure I had one at AAC / Dolby Pro Logic II, and one track that was the DTS Passthru.

Don't ask me how to do subs with Handbrake because I was never able to figure it out.

Also DVDFab is a little bit better than Handbrake, but you will have to pay for it. A friend of mine uses it for DVD's only, and she is able to get subs on hers....that's what she said wink.gif.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #5 of 5 Old 09-04-2012, 10:55 AM

The PS3 is a great streamer for MP4 files stored on its hard drive. Provided you're just using ripped DVD's. Once you start using Blu-Ray rips, then you get to play Russian Roulett with your movies seeing as the PS3 is infected with Cinavia. You'll know about 20 minutes into playing the movie if it was originally recorded with Cinavia in the audio track, as the movie will quit playing sound, or freeze up, or some combination of those. Going to be selling my PS3 Fat 60GB and replacing it with a Panasonic BDT220 because of the Cinavia issue. Don't just buy for now. Plan for the future on this one.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page