AT&T U-Verse Wireless Receiver - any experience here? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-04-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess this qualifies as a Content Streamer - maybe just a cable receiver, but the wireless gives it a little twist...

I'm really trying to remove all (non-required) cables from my TV H/T setup - so I just ordered the new AT&T U-Verse Wireless Receiver

uverse-wireless-receiver-diagram-5230823.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/NDg5VB3gYCE
although, for being an existing U300 customer - they waived the $49.99 install fee! smile.gif

Does anyone have experience with this setup yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-04-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I've got U-Verse internet only, which they give you a modem/router 2Wire 3600HGV. This acts as your TV and internet receiver. Is that what you are talking about?

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3 of 12 Old 09-04-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I've got U-Verse internet only, which they give you a modem/router 2Wire 3600HGV. This acts as your TV and internet receiver. Is that what you are talking about?

No - this is a new service - see the pic and video in my first post - essentially it's a new Wireless AP that talks to a receiver which is 'cable-less' for input - so all the SD/HD content is sent to the receiver via WiFi.
This new AP connects to the existing 2WIRE setup (via one of the 4 Ethernet ports) and you pair it with the receiver.

Hoping to remove the cable feed and subwoofer (via different wireless setup) to my HT center - just need power and HDMI cables now smile.gif
post #4 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

wow - nobody has this service yet?
post #5 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I think this forum area is for streaming of local content from a PC/Server to another device.

This at&t device is a wireless STB for playing back their "cable" content, no?

post #6 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I think this forum area is for streaming of local content from a PC/Server to another device.
This at&t device is a wireless STB for playing back their "cable" content, no?

yes, I believe you're correct - maybe I'm lumping wireless cable delivery into streamed content delivery
post #7 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

oh well, in case anyone is interested... I got the setup today, took 10 minutes from unbox to watching TV wirelessly!

1/2 the time was updating the firmware upon bootup - simply amazing! just a power cord and HDMI to the TV cool.gif
post #8 of 12 Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 AM

Liked: 12
I'm GEtting it today. I am wondering what the caveats are? I suspect the install guy is pushing it cause he doesnt what to have to go to the trouble to wire my difficult old house. Personally, I am in the process of moving away from wireless devices, but if the internet will have access points at the receivers, I may be ok with it long term. Do you know the answer to that one?

I am also wondering what protocol they are using? Wireless signal?
post #9 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

It's 802.11n via single ad-hoc network - beyond a few reboots during the first month of service - it works rather well!!!
post #10 of 12 Old 12-12-2012, 10:10 AM

Uverse pisses me off. I do suspect the picture quality may be better than comcast, better compression or whatever. But I am referring to the internet access mainly. I dont like getting only 1mb upstream, and of course dont get the down I am paying for. Whatever, it is enough. BUT, if I hear another damn rep tell me how their router is so great.....##$#@#@. They wont even broadcast down a hall...! And the ulitmate slap in the face is "sure, we can turn up your wireless signal, I can give you 7,8,9,10, or even 11 gigawatTs". I mean WTF, do they really believe that the wireless channel has to do with the output wattage?!? And I cant tell you how many times I have heard that from them...
post #11 of 12 Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc3 View Post

Uverse pisses me off. I do suspect the picture quality may be better than comcast, better compression or whatever. But I am referring to the internet access mainly. I dont like getting only 1mb upstream, and of course dont get the down I am paying for. Whatever, it is enough. BUT, if I hear another damn rep tell me how their router is so great.....##$#@#@. They wont even broadcast down a hall...! And the ulitmate slap in the face is "sure, we can turn up your wireless signal, I can give you 7,8,9,10, or even 11 gigawatTs". I mean WTF, do they really believe that the wireless channel has to do with the output wattage?!? And I cant tell you how many times I have heard that from them...

Some people have bad experience with ATT U-Verse. I was one of them the first time they installed it, it wouldn't work all the time. The problem with it is that if one of your services doesn't work (if you've got the package phone, internet, and tv) then nothing else works. 5 ATT came over to my house and re-installed everything, they even ran new cat5e cables from the outside to the inside of my house. I found out the hard way that I was too far from their "BOX" to get all 3 services. So, I ended up getting Comcast for internet only, which was $30 dollars a month, but after a year my price went up to $70.

I am now using ATT U-Verse internet only, and it has been working okay. I get about 12 MB/s download and about 1.5 MB/s upload. I can stream Netflix in the living room, Hulu in another location and play XBOX live without any issues. I only pay $29.99 + tax, which comes out to about $35 a month.

The main issue I've got with ATT U-Verse modem / router is that I can't use my WNDR3700 router. I've messed around with the setting, put one of them in bridge mode, and it still wouldn't work right. So, at the moment I am only using the 2wire modem / router, which as been working fine as well.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #12 of 12 Old 12-16-2012, 09:32 PM

You got me thinking. Cause one of the field techs mentioned that I may only be getting 12 down and 1 up (verses 1.5 up LOL), because they had to throttle it down due to my connection, which is supposed to be good. I WONDER IF I DROP THE PHONE would that remedy this issue??

On another note, you should check out some of the TP link products at newegg. They have some killer routers that are very addressible with firmware that has a LOT of OPTIONS. I am pretty sure you can turn any of their devices into whatever you want. Which is what I am going to do to fix the crappy wifi signal from the Uverse gateway.. You need to be sure also what port you come out of the ATT router on. I am note sure if all of them will work for that. IT would not suprise me. Also remember to turn off the Uverse wireless broadcast in the firmware, as it would not suprise me if this could create an issue too. You do have me wondering though, as I have not yet attemped to set my TP link up as wiFI bridge. Cause I dont see why your router wont work if it has the capabilty. DId you check for the latest firmware on your WIFI router?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page