POPCORN HOUR A-400 is coming soon - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

I copied over my 4 Rango files I've been using for testing.
The m2ts file with AC3 as the default audio track plays fine.
The m2ts file with DTS-HD as the default audio track suffers from dropout at the exact same spots as it does when I play it over my network.
The internal drive the files are on is a Crucial M4 128GB SSD.

Sample small enough you can upload it somewhere?
halfelite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 02:53 AM
Member
 
polakis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Guys is this better than med1000x3d in terms of picture quality-movement and stability? I am interested playing bluray iso 3d from usb hard drive, no network. Which should i choose? Med1000 or A-400?
polakis is offline  
post #633 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 03:07 AM
Member
 
Rui Pedro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by polakis View Post

Guys is this better than med1000x3d in terms of picture quality-movement and stability? I am interested playing bluray iso 3d from usb hard drive, no network. Which should i choose? Med1000 or A-400?

I have a A-400 atm and im quite happy with the pic quality after a fine tune of my popcorn+led all seems to be great, i saw the MEDx3d running in a store and wasnt impressed at all,everything the med does the popcorn does it also,the popcorn jukebox outlast the med for large also...best thing is check both and decide which one fits you best,u can also check my video earlyer in this post.

Cheers
Rui Pedro is offline  
post #634 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
canton160's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by polakis View Post

Guys is this better than med1000x3d in terms of picture quality-movement and stability? I am interested playing bluray iso 3d from usb hard drive, no network. Which should i choose? Med1000 or A-400?

ask @brajesh he as both players

but seems theres many people arent aware that bluray players, dvds , media players shouldn't unmolested the video, thats why that vpx scalling should be turned off.

the advantage in terms of video processing should be superior to sigma only in upscaling dvds , but remenber that upsaling pixels that dont exist dont improve the image quality because the scaler dont create pixels, any 50" screen or above should be quite notice a scaled image, below 50" its hard to notice.

if you have compressed BD movies (like some users post a few threads back) its difficult to understand why someone compressed/encode hd video to save same space, and them enable vpx to improve the image quality in the end the video will be far away from the original full of artifacts.

if you have a good library of dvd it might have some improvement in terms of picture quality, but if you have av receiver handling the video you will want doest vpx features turned off.

i compared the micca ep950 vs med1000x3d vs samsung bd5500 vs sony s-790 with all the video processing off and theres no visible diference in terms of PQ in blurays or dvd using a 90 inch sreen, just seems 3D in sony is better of all 4 devices.

with some dvds the sony s-790 has a little advantage with video processing on.

regards

Projector Mitsubishi HC5

Projector Optoma hd300x 

Av receiver Onkyo TX-NR 818

Oppo 103D

Media player Med1000x3D

 

 

KEN KREISEL DXD-808 

Q7000 5.1

canton160 is offline  
post #635 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 7,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

Save your space people, you do not need to keep your movies at full bitrate to enjoy good quality.

A lot of us are not space challenged and would rather save our time. Not to mention top quality.
Gary J is offline  
post #636 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
cadett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houma, La.
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
From what I've seen so far, from two Realtek 1186 vs the A-400, I prefer the picture, barely, of the A-400. The VXP does improve the contrast ratio between light & dark, but for me it was also introducing some noise on the video's I watched. If that gets workes out, I think the A-400 will trump the Realtek's in term of overall PQ. The SD scaling to a 58" Samsung was superior on the Sigma chip. Looked really good on my tv, Not sure how that would compare on a projector.
cadett is offline  
post #637 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can someone please tell me how photo viewing works?

1. Speed from file to file
2. Thumbnail browsing or not
3. Speed of zooming and panning
4. .tif, .png, .pdf, .raw, .cr2 support
5. exif info display support
6. comment or tagging support
7. search by tag
8. multi-file side-by-side display
9. music background during display
10. scripted photo file playback support (playlist with times and music)
11. automatic size scaling

Also, does this device support external keyboards for data entry and searching?

Thanks in advance
mlknez is offline  
post #638 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
cadett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houma, La.
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
cadett is offline  
post #639 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
cHarOn99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
as far as i know you need to plug it in before you boot up, tested it here with my Logitech wireless keyboard
cHarOn99 is offline  
post #640 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
robnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

Sample small enough you can upload it somewhere?

I put it in my Dropbox. Send me a PM with an email address.

Looky here!
robnix is online now  
post #641 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
cadett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houma, La.
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by cHarOn99 View Post

as far as i know you need to plug it in before you boot up, tested it here with my Logitech wireless keyboard

I'll try it out, thanks.
cadett is offline  
post #642 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Member
 
vaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Amesterdam, Ohio
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

Hmm, just ordered an A-400 a couple of days ago on the strength of it having that iPad NMJ Navigator app, mostly to play music without cranking on the PJ or TV. But I should have read this thread first!
If I read things correctly a lot of bugs, and also my A-210 might be able to use that iPad app, can anyone confirm that?
I would also like to know Thanks
vaha is offline  
post #643 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Can someone please tell me how photo viewing works?
1. Speed from file to file
2. Thumbnail browsing or not
3. Speed of zooming and panning
4. .tif, .png, .pdf, .raw, .cr2 support
5. exif info display support
6. comment or tagging support
7. search by tag
8. multi-file side-by-side display
9. music background during display
10. scripted photo file playback support (playlist with times and music)
11. automatic size scaling
Also, does this device support external keyboards for data entry and searching?
Thanks in advance

I will try to test some pictures later. I can answer a few of them

1. not sure
2. yes there is thumbnail browsing when you run pictures through NMJ which will take awhile it makes thumbnails for all pictures.
3. not sure
4. again not sure .pdf I know for sure is not supported
6. tagging support is somewhat used in NMJ but not sure which tags
7. same as above
8. not sure
9. yes you can play music and browse pictures
10. not sure about it
11. I think it does scale but cant say for 100% sure.

Yes external keyboards are supported as long as they are HID compatible meaning no extra drivers or software, But I will say not all screens have 100% keyboard support last time i checked that might have changed with all the updated stuff.,
halfelite is offline  
post #644 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 58

This device should work 100% its the same device diamond sells for use on both PCH and DUNE just rebadged and painted white.
halfelite is offline  
post #645 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaha View Post

I would also like to know Thanks

The 200 series has no plans for ipad/android NMJ navigator at this time. Just the 400 series and the 300 series just got it. Also keep watching NMJ manger multimount support should be coming. Seems most of the parts for multimount is inside the DB already just sitting unused but if you fill it in NMJ does multimounts.
halfelite is offline  
post #646 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Plugged my A400 in...

that is all...

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #647 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by canton160 View Post

ask @brajesh he as both players
but seems theres many people arent aware that bluray players, dvds , media players shouldn't unmolested the video, thats why that vpx scalling should be turned off.
the advantage in terms of video processing should be superior to sigma only in upscaling dvds , but remenber that upsaling pixels that dont exist dont improve the image quality because the scaler dont create pixels, any 50" screen or above should be quite notice a scaled image, below 50" its hard to notice.
if you have compressed BD movies (like some users post a few threads back) its difficult to understand why someone compressed/encode hd video to save same space, and them enable vpx to improve the image quality in the end the video will be far away from the original full of artifacts.
if you have a good library of dvd it might have some improvement in terms of picture quality, but if you have av receiver handling the video you will want doest vpx features turned off.
i compared the micca ep950 vs med1000x3d vs samsung bd5500 vs sony s-790 with all the video processing off and theres no visible diference in terms of PQ in blurays or dvd using a 90 inch sreen, just seems 3D in sony is better of all 4 devices.
with some dvds the sony s-790 has a little advantage with video processing on.
regards

Again your thinking is everyone likes reference colors, and sad fact is I would say the majority prefer over processed, crushed blacks to reference as it appeals to our eyes as it POPS more. Again your thinking is going everyone likes 100% fully calibrated reference material. Its to each his own on this one,
halfelite is offline  
post #648 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Plugged my A400 in...
that is all...

You are no help with testing =P lol get on it.
halfelite is offline  
post #649 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
g_bartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: cleveland, oh
Posts: 3,184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 53
If anyone can help here I would appreciate it. I'm trying to get movie covers. Here is what the manual says. To create the NMJ database, use the file browser to navigate to your media storage device. Then
press LEFT on D-PAD and choose Networked Media Jukebox. You’ll be prompted to create an NMJ database for your device. Select YES to begin. I do as it says but I do not get the prompt. I press enter on the D pad, I get no response. My media is stored on an Iomega cloud if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for any help.

g_bartman is offline  
post #650 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

You are no help with testing =P lol get on it.

Haha, got hungry. Gonna start testing/watching now and hopefully tomorrow

Quick question, I have a HDD in my A300 that the PCH formatted. I should just able to pop that drive in the A400 and keep everything on there (There are about 1.5GB worth of movies/tv shows on)? I had set the A300 up for my dad with a whole bunch of movies, but from quickly testing at his house today saw the expected audio dropouts on Blu Ray rips. If it becomes a nuisance (and the A400 doesn't suffer from) then I would probably swap and give him the A400, just move the internal drive over (my confidence isn't there that we will see a fix for the A300 anytime soon )

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #651 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Member
 
vaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Amesterdam, Ohio
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

The 200 series has no plans for ipad/android NMJ navigator at this time. Just the 400 series and the 300 series just got it. Also keep watching NMJ manger multimount support should be coming. Seems most of the parts for multimount is inside the DB already just sitting unused but if you fill it in NMJ does multimounts.
Thanks. What advantages does the 400 have over the 300
vaha is offline  
post #652 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,393
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Haha, got hungry. Gonna start testing/watching now and hopefully tomorrow
Quick question, I have a HDD in my A300 that the PCH formatted. I should just able to pop that drive in the A400 and keep everything on there (There are about 1.5GB worth of movies/tv shows on)? I had set the A300 up for my dad with a whole bunch of movies, but from quickly testing at his house today saw the expected audio dropouts on Blu Ray rips. If it becomes a nuisance (and the A400 doesn't suffer from) then I would probably swap and give him the A400, just move the internal drive over (my confidence isn't there that we will see a fix for the A300 anytime soon )

There is something you ahve to select to prevent data loss, but I forget which setting it is. Its been posted a few times over in the NMT forums.....I believe its "Typical" so that you can get the apps\NMJ to work on the A400, but I could be wrong..
Ph8te is online now  
post #653 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

There is something you ahve to select to prevent data loss, but I forget which setting it is. Its been posted a few times over in the NMT forums.....I believe its "Typical" so that you can get the apps\NMJ to work on the A400, but I could be wrong..

That does sound familiar , thanks.

Quick testing:

- 3D Blu Ray ISO testing ended quickly. Stuttering (very bad) over both NFS and SMB using The Avengers. Navigating chapters led to the A400 locking up completely on me at one point. I will need to keep testing, put some of the 3D Blu Rays on an attached drive as well as make a folder version of the ISO
- TV Show HD mkv (The Walking Dead) played perfect as expected.
- With NFS I noticed the PCH was taking long to locate folders (i.e. I would navigate to a folder over NFS via the file browser, it would tell me there was no content, I would exit out and re enter, and then the content would appear)

More testing to do!!!

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #654 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
robnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

Again your thinking is everyone likes reference colors, and sad fact is I would say the majority prefer over processed, crushed blacks to reference as it appeals to our eyes as it POPS more. Again your thinking is going everyone likes 100% fully calibrated reference material. Its to each his own on this one,

What I've seen isn't that it's what people prefer or what appeals to the eye, it's simply what they're used to. I blame big box stores and lousy out of the box presets for this.

I let my coworkers borrow my Disney WOW calibration disc so they could at least get contrast/brightness and color/tint set correctly, every single one of them remarked on the improvement, one of them even said they couldn't believe that they ship TV's with the presets the way they are after seeing the basic changes a disk like that can make.

Looky here!
robnix is online now  
post #655 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
robnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

That does sound familiar , thanks.
Quick testing:
- 3D Blu Ray ISO testing ended quickly. Stuttering (very bad) over both NFS and SMB using The Avengers. Navigating chapters led to the A400 locking up completely on me at one point. I will need to keep testing, put some of the 3D Blu Rays on an attached drive as well as make a folder version of the ISO
- TV Show HD mkv (The Walking Dead) played perfect as expected.
- With NFS I noticed the PCH was taking long to locate folders (i.e. I would navigate to a folder over NFS via the file browser, it would tell me there was no content, I would exit out and re enter, and then the content would appear)
More testing to do!!!

Here's what I've found:

3D ISO play fine from local disk and long as there's no DTS-HD audio.
My bluray MKV rips with TRUE-HD or AC3 audio play fine over NFS
Anything with DTS-HD or DTS-MA audio has audio dropouts whether it's local or over NFS.
NMJ is SLOOOOOW over my network, it was quite fast after rebuilding it on a local SSD.
YAMJ is slow either way.
Forced subs work in MKV files as long as you set the YES flag on Forced, Default, and Track Enabled.

I haven't run any of my MKV DVD rips yet. Tomorrow on that.

NFS tranfers are around 20 or so MBps and FTP transfers are around 33MBps to the A400
SMB transfers to the A400 peak at 7MBps, pulling a file with the A400 over SMB from my file server peaks at around 12MBps<--- I blame Samba for this one, I've seen performance issues writing to Samba shares more then few times in the past of much more powerful machines.

Turning off the VXP enhancements makes your blurays look better.

Looky here!
robnix is online now  
post #656 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
Opentoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Cute, but you're wrong. Whether it's SDTV, HDTV, DVD, Bluray etc... I just want the TV to display the source material as it's intended to be displayed and heard.

You should know that almost all movies are never shown the way they were intended. The only way you'll ever get that is if you have the original film/media it was recorded on. Movies have been recorded in hi-def for many, many years even before hi-def TV's were a blip on the market. If you think because you are watching a high bitrate bluray you are watching how the director intended then you are sadly wrong. There are countless interviews you can read online about this with film directors. I'm not just pulling this out of thin air. Some of the biggest known directors have always said they can only wish their audience would be able to see how the movie is supposed to look like. Ridley Scott is very vocal about this.
Opentoe is offline  
post #657 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
Opentoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

A lot of us are not space challenged and would rather save our time. Not to mention top quality.

Some of us don't have unlimited space or funds and have to save space somewhere. Compressing a 30+ GB file into a 12GB file and not seeing a difference in video quality or not hearing a difference in audio quality is a benefit and a smart move for us poor folk that can't afford unlimited space. Even with running a 22 terabyte unraid server I'm always trying to save space since I only have 3TB left. I still get top quality and don't waste time. It is my computer that spends all the time encoding and working on producing the output.
Opentoe is offline  
post #658 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
cadett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houma, La.
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
So instead of hitting info & viewing fan art, thumbnail, and metadata, is there a program that will batch process the data?
cadett is offline  
post #659 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
robnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

You should know that almost all movies are never shown the way they were intended. The only way you'll ever get that is if you have the original film/media it was recorded on. Movies have been recorded in hi-def for many, many years even before hi-def TV's were a blip on the market. If you think because you are watching a high bitrate bluray you are watching how the director intended then you are sadly wrong. There are countless interviews you can read online about this with film directors. I'm not just pulling this out of thin air. Some of the biggest known directors have always said they can only wish their audience would be able to see how the movie is supposed to look like. Ridley Scott is very vocal about this.

Hyperbole much? Sure, the first Gladiator release was a complete mess, but it was remastered and looks gorgeous now. A year after that remaster Ridley Scott had this to say:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ridley-scott/film-viewing-blu-ray_b_1132350.html
Quote:
In my view, the only way to see a film remains the way the filmmaker intended: inside a large movie theater with great sound and pristine picture. Music and dialogue that doesn't fully reproduce the soundtrack of the original loses an essential element for its appreciation. Simply put, the film loses its power.

Short of that, the technically sophisticated Blu-ray disc, of which I've been a supporter since its inception, is the closest we've come to replicating the best theatrical viewing experience I've ever seen. It allows us to present in a person's living room films in their original form with proper colors, aspect ratio, sound quality, and, perhaps most importantly, startling clarity.

Seen Blade Runner on Bluray recently? You know...the five pack that has intros from Ridley Scott....or the Alien Quadrilogy? The one with Ridley Scott's Alien that he does and intro on? STUNNING releases.

Sure, there are some pretty lousy bluray releases, have you seen the one for From Dusk till Dawn? Embarrasing. The DVD looks better. The orginal Patton release was filled with a ridiculous amount of DNR, POTC had framing issues during a swordfight, The extended FOTR and the tinting issues....

Right now though, I'm watching Seabiscuit, which is just amazing. I think Gary Ross would be pretty happy with it.

Looky here!
robnix is online now  
post #660 of 2298 Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Metric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Disappointing to read about 3d iso playback being useless via network. I guess my quest continues, I dont want local disk playback, I want to stream all from my readynas.

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
Metric is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Popcorn Hour A 400 Network Media Jukebox

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off