AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi Damian,
I agree, that would be a good solution. I can't speak for Mlknez, but for myself, I can't see spending what it costs just to review the music features. And what would I do with the unit once I realize how poorly it handles music? Dump it on eBay at a loss?

I know that many reviewers are comped units from the manufacturer for their reviews, but it's unlikely a manufacturer would do that for a music review when 1) it is such a small market and 2) it is likely to review poorly. I would be willing to review a player for music if someone was willing to send me one, but I can't justify paying for an A-400 when I'm fairly certain it won't be any better than my Neo-550.

Not saying anyone needs to go out and spend a fortune on players. Moreso if you are going to buy a player anyhow, why not do a review and focus on some of the areas of interest? That is how I got started in doing reviews. The whole tech stuff is nothing more then a hobby for me, has nothing to do with my real job

I can only speak from my own experience. but I would say overall out of all the media players I have reviewed a large majority I have purchased with my own money. Typically if I buy a player and decide it won't be used after the review I sell it on ebay to recoup some of the costs. Any players that actually get sent to me from a manufacturer I never sell regardless of how I use them.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 2300 Old 02-04-2013, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I actually spent good money on my A400 and wont regret it,its awsome jukebox !good for 3d,impressive image with vxp,beats my old egreat for miles smile.gif))
post #1173 of 2300 Old 02-08-2013, 12:00 PM

New firmware out today .
post #1174 of 2300 Old 02-08-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 684
It's the same firmware that was released on the NMT forum a few days ago.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1175 of 2300 Old 02-10-2013, 03:54 AM

Can someone please inform me on the current status of A400 regarding the following :

1)2D bd.iso playback over smb gigabit lan
2)high bitrate mkv over smb gigabit lan
3)Any issues with hd audio in any format type (mkv, bd.iso,3d.iso)
4)I understand 3d.iso is not possible over smb lan.Over usb everything is fine?
5)In 3d.iso films, the subs are in 2d or in 3d ?
6)Multichannel flacs are supported and with proper playback?
7)External subs are still inside the movie frame and not in black borders?
8)Any issues reading/analyzong multi streams?Theatrical, extended etc.
9)Anything else (serious or not)

Thanks in advance.
post #1176 of 2300 Old 02-10-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadergr View Post

Can someone please inform me on the current status of A400 regarding the following :

1)2D bd.iso playback over smb gigabit lan
2)high bitrate mkv over smb gigabit lan
3)Any issues with hd audio in any format type (mkv, bd.iso,3d.iso)
4)I understand 3d.iso is not possible over smb lan.Over usb everything is fine?
5)In 3d.iso films, the subs are in 2d or in 3d ?
6)Multichannel flacs are supported and with proper playback?
7)External subs are still inside the movie frame and not in black borders?
8)Any issues reading/analyzong multi streams?Theatrical, extended etc.
9)Anything else (serious or not)

Thanks in advance.

Only have a quick sec to answer a few:

1) Plays fine
2) Plays fine
3) DTS(MA) dropout was fixed, but appears there are TrueHD issues now
4) USB plays fine. However, understand that with Blu-ray 3D or Blu-ray 2D ISOs you will get skipping with seamless branch as well as no forced subtitle support
5) 2D
6) Played fine, what do you consider proper playback?
7) Don't know, don't use
8) You can choose multiple playlists/streams. You just have no clue what they are until you play back
vadergr and Rui Pedro like this.

Cheers,
Damian

post #1177 of 2300 Old 02-11-2013, 02:11 AM

thanks for your information wink.gif
post #1178 of 2300 Old 02-11-2013, 11:28 PM

Liked: 12
Does the A-400 support Jumbo Frames? I have a Readynas Pro6 with two trunked gigabit ports and a Netgear 108tv2 switch which both support jumbo frames for a marked increase in bandwidth but my Micca ep600 does not seem to support jumbo frames which makes that whole setup pretty much moot. The Micca seems to work pretty much flawlessly except for playing 3D ISO like the latest Titantic release, the skipping was just too much to bare. Was having high hopes for the A-400 to fill the gaps where the Micca leaves things to be desired.
post #1179 of 2300 Old 02-12-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegeX View Post

Does the A-400 support Jumbo Frames? I have a Readynas Pro6 with two trunked gigabit ports and a Netgear 108tv2 switch which both support jumbo frames for a marked increase in bandwidth but my Micca ep600 does not seem to support jumbo frames which makes that whole setup pretty much moot. The Micca seems to work pretty much flawlessly except for playing 3D ISO like the latest Titantic release, the skipping was just too much to bare. Was having high hopes for the A-400 to fill the gaps where the Micca leaves things to be desired.

No and there is no player that does, While it might increase network output to some devices jumbo frames can actually have a negative impact on video streaming due to higher latency on packet building and if a packet needs to be re transmitted. As for 3d on the a400 i would wait a bit till it becomes stable
post #1180 of 2300 Old 02-12-2013, 01:33 PM

Liked: 11
I can't seem to find anything that plays 3D back well ... except plugging it directly into my tv ;-(

I like shiny stuff.
post #1181 of 2300 Old 02-12-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwfletcher View Post

I can't seem to find anything that plays 3D back well ... except plugging it directly into my tv ;-(

If you need Seamless Branch support and forced subtitle support unfortunately the media player doesn't exist. If PCH adds mvc mkv support in 3D then that would probably be the fix around the two issues

Cheers,
Damian

post #1182 of 2300 Old 02-13-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwfletcher View Post

I'll be testing (again) 3D BD ISO files from the A400 this weekend and posting on theNMT forum my findings (and sharing videos if the same issue occurs).

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #1183 of 2300 Old 02-18-2013, 08:17 AM

Excited to see this thread -- I have an A-110, which has been a rock except for mp4, ISO and dvd folders. But my main gripe has been sound quality: I have an Oppo BDP83 which can't touch the PCH for mkv, but which sounds awesome. I've steered round the audio quality problem by sending RAW audio to my ageing NAD M15 pre/pro, which increasingly won't recognize audio codecs on downloaded video files, but which again, has an awesome sounding onboard DAC. So is the A400 the answer to my problems?
post #1184 of 2300 Old 02-18-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilzebub View Post

Excited to see this thread -- I have an A-110, which has been a rock except for mp4, ISO and dvd folders. But my main gripe has been sound quality: I have an Oppo BDP83 which can't touch the PCH for mkv, but which sounds awesome. I've steered round the audio quality problem by sending RAW audio to my ageing NAD M15 pre/pro, which increasingly won't recognize audio codecs on downloaded video files, but which again, has an awesome sounding onboard DAC. So is the A400 the answer to my problems?
I have an A110 and it plays DVD ISO files fine. I have the A400 now since I wanted 3D BD and since the A110 has video 'strobing' issues with certain files. It plays all my .ts/.m2ts, DVD ISO files without any issue. I just posted that it still will not play 3D BD ISO files. No answer to your audio question since that's a result of your AVR, not the PCH. Both the A110 and A400 support all the video codecs (DTSHD, TrueHD, etc) already.

post #1185 of 2300 Old 02-18-2013, 09:15 AM

I've had some ISOs play, but more than half not. DVD VOB files will play, but I've never gotten the menu to work -- I actually have to play each file.

But my main gripe is the internal DAC -- setting the audio to "analogue" results in audio that is several steps below that of the NAD pre/pro, which though it cannot handle certain codecs, has burr-brown DACs and sounds amazing when it works :P So my question is about the quality of the analogue audio out on the A400
post #1186 of 2300 Old 02-18-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've had some ISOs play, but more than half not. DVD VOB files will play, but I've never gotten the menu to work -- I actually have to play each file.

But my main gripe is the internal DAC -- setting the audio to "analogue" results in audio that is several steps below that of the NAD pre/pro, which though it cannot handle certain codecs, has burr-brown DACs and sounds amazing when it works :P So my question is about the quality of the analogue audio out on the A400
I only use the HDMI out to my AVR.

post #1187 of 2300 Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

I only use the HDMI out to my AVR.

Yeah, my NAD m15 is hdmi video passthru only. It's a beast of a unit, but this is why I am asking about the quality of the A400 internal dac.
post #1188 of 2300 Old 02-18-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:

Yeah, my NAD m15 is hdmi video passthru only. It's a beast of a unit, but this is why I am asking about the quality of the A400 internal dac.

Might be the analog output stage not the actual DAC/s.

Why not keep it digital and use the coax or optical output? Even if the 400 has to "down-rez" the HD codecs, or you just use the DD or DTS tracks you might be further ahead. (I had the M15 and it was superb with those inputs).
post #1189 of 2300 Old 02-18-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

Might be the analog output stage not the actual DAC/s.

Why not keep it digital and use the coax or optical output? Even if the 400 has to "down-rez" the HD codecs, or you just use the DD or DTS tracks you might be further ahead. (I had the M15 and it was superb with those inputs).

I am using the optical cable, but the PCH-a110 setting that makes these mkvs work with the M-15 is "analog", so I assumed it was an analog signal sent PCM via the optical. Anyway, I guess what I am really asking, since I can get half-way decent analog out of the a-110, is: is the a-400 noticeably better in this regard?
post #1190 of 2300 Old 02-18-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:

I am using the optical cable, but the PCH-a110 setting that makes these mkvs work with the M-15 is "analog", so I assumed it was an analog signal sent PCM via the optical. Anyway, I guess what I am really asking, since I can get half-way decent analog out of the a-110, is: is the a-400 noticeably better in this regard?

I don't think that would be the case, or shouldn't be anyways, it would mean converting digital to analog then back to digital which doesn't make sense.
You should be able to send DTS, DD and PCM through optical, and I have to assume that hi-rez codecs would be converted to one of those before being sent through it. It could simply be that selecting analog disables the HDMI audio output while the optical is still active. I have the A-210 but only bitstream over HDMI to my pre-amp so I haven't checked any other output settings.
post #1191 of 2300 Old 02-19-2013, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quick question.. does the A-400 or any other popcorn hour playback FLV files? Also, is the A-400 generally recommended to be the best and most up to date popcorn hour if I'm not interested in a drive or other bells/whistles like extra network features. Just looking for the ultimate playback machine with my external hds and 3D bd iso support is a must.

I have the dune player 3.0 and while it's awesome, it lacks bd 3d and flv. Looking for a suitable replacement.
post #1192 of 2300 Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

Quick question.. does the A-400 or any other popcorn hour playback FLV files? Also, is the A-400 generally recommended to be the best and most up to date popcorn hour if I'm not interested in a drive or other bells/whistles like extra network features. Just looking for the ultimate playback machine with my external hds and 3D bd iso support is a must.

I have the dune player 3.0 and while it's awesome, it lacks bd 3d and flv. Looking for a suitable replacement.

It will ply flv as long as its h264 video inside if its somthing else it wont play it. While most up to date its also most bug ridden, and 3d playback is hit or miss as the moment.
post #1193 of 2300 Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

So the A-400 is buggy? I've never had a popcorn hour before so I assume this would be the model for me as I'm NOT interested in network streaming features. I don't need anything other than to playback files (including 3D BD ISO) ripped onto my externals via usb (prefer usb 3.0). Also I like the ability to set the framerate between 25fps, 30fps, automatic, etc like on the Dune. Is there a cheaper model or is this the entry for 3D BDs? Are you confident that the bugs will get fixed? I don't feel like throwing away $250+ on something that's "hit or miss".

If this isn't that great then what else out there can play 3D BD ISOs?
post #1194 of 2300 Old 02-21-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So the A-400 is buggy? I've never had a popcorn hour before so I assume this would be the model for me as I'm NOT interested in network streaming features. I don't need anything other than to playback files (including 3D BD ISO) ripped onto my externals via usb (prefer usb 3.0). Also I like the ability to set the framerate between 25fps, 30fps, automatic, etc like on the Dune. Is there a cheaper model or is this the entry for 3D BDs? Are you confident that the bugs will get fixed? I don't feel like throwing away $250+ on something that's "hit or miss".

If this isn't that great then what else out there can play 3D BD ISOs?

There is the dune base 3d which so far has shown some of the same bugs the A400 has/had as they both run a sigma chipset, the other option is a mede8er 600x3d wich is 199$ it seems to do pretty well for 3d iso files, Will the A400 bugs get fixed I would think so the question is how long though.
post #1195 of 2300 Old 02-22-2013, 12:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

There is the dune base 3d which so far has shown some of the same bugs the A400 has/had as they both run a sigma chipset, the other option is a mede8er 600x3d wich is 199$ it seems to do pretty well for 3d iso files, Will the A400 bugs get fixed I would think so the question is how long though.

^ This. Also understand with 3D BR ISOs there is a bug with seamless branch and forced subtitles. This affects all players right now that rely on BD Lite and no one is sure if/when this will be fixed

Cheers,
Damian

post #1196 of 2300 Old 02-22-2013, 01:29 AM
Advanced Member

I was under the impression that the Dune Base 3D doesn't support 3D BR ISOs. I would like the ability to do a true 1:1 rip of the disc. The A-400 and mede8er supports this correct?
post #1197 of 2300 Old 02-22-2013, 01:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was under the impression that the Dune Base 3D doesn't support 3D BR ISOs. I would like the ability to do a true 1:1 rip of the disc. The A-400 and mede8er supports this correct?

Why were you under that impression (i.e. it is called Dune Base 3D wink.gif )

Cheers,
Damian

post #1198 of 2300 Old 02-22-2013, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Because the specs say.. 3D Video Support: MVC, Side-by-side, Top/Bottom. This isn't the same as full 3D ISO no? I want to rip the complete disc with menus and all.

edit- I didn't realize the current players are all BR Lite. So this means I won't have the menus on 3D BDs. I'm not sure I'm interested in that. How about the mede8er 1000x3d.. will it provide menus?

I did some more research and it turns out my Dune Player is still among the most stable. It's interesting and this kinda has me leaning toward the Dune Base 3D but I want to know the difference between it and the mede8er 6/1000X3d. I don't want just side by side 3D support. I can almost live with no menus if the Base 3D truly plays back at no loss.

Forgive my ignorance in all of this.
post #1199 of 2300 Old 02-22-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 684
As I found out in December, MVC is full 3D BD. Although the Sigma info makes it seem as if the two things are different when referencing the two chips in the Dune Base 3D and the A400. By listing Blu-ray 3D and MVC on the 8910 brochure the A400 uses and only listing MVC on the brochure for the 8672 that the Dune Base 3D uses.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1200 of 2300 Old 02-22-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Because the specs say.. 3D Video Support: MVC, Side-by-side, Top/Bottom. This isn't the same as full 3D ISO no? I want to rip the complete disc with menus and all.

edit- I didn't realize the current players are all BR Lite. So this means I won't have the menus on 3D BDs. I'm not sure I'm interested in that. How about the mede8er 1000x3d.. will it provide menus?

I did some more research and it turns out my Dune Player is still among the most stable. It's interesting and this kinda has me leaning toward the Dune Base 3D but I want to know the difference between it and the mede8er 6/1000X3d. I don't want just side by side 3D support. I can almost live with no menus if the Base 3D truly plays back at no loss.

Forgive my ignorance in all of this.

Gotcha. Full menus are gone unfortunately. If you want full BD menus then you need to stick with the older players (i.e. the Dune Smarts or PCH 200/300 series). However, this issue with this, these players do not support Blu-ray 3D.

The Base3D/TV303D, Mede8er 1000X3D/600X3D, and PCH A400 all play back lossless Blu-ray 3D, just without menus. Supposedly Dune is coming out with a premium player later this year that will handle full menus (via separate playback engines), but who knows if it will really materialize.

Just keep in mind, there are two issues with Blu-ray 3D playback with BD Lite, no proper support for forced subtitles and seamless branch

Cheers,
Damian

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Popcorn Hour A 400 Network Media Jukebox

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page