POPCORN HOUR A-400 is coming soon - Page 46 - AVS Forum
First ... 44  45  46 47  48  ... Last
Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming > POPCORN HOUR A-400 is coming soon
RickAVManiac's Avatar RickAVManiac 12:04 PM 04-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Are you guys using SMB or NFS to stream your 3D BD-ISO's? Been a while since I had my A-400, so assuming 3D streaming is fixed (or almost fully fixed), are there any key bugs left for Syabas to tackle?

I use SMB

halfelite's Avatar halfelite 12:06 PM 04-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Are you guys using SMB or NFS to stream your 3D BD-ISO's? Been a while since I had my A-400, so assuming 3D streaming is fixed (or almost fully fixed), are there any key bugs left for Syabas to tackle?

I use samba when I streamed the hobbit. There is a few issues with subtitles still, and with the newest firmware people are getting the occasional black screen where HDMI did not sync right. they put out a fix shortly after the last release that seems to have fixed it for the most part but still happens every now and again I assume a new fix will come in the next few days. The naming scheme for switching right and left eye automatically is amazing, New NMJ layout is better then the old. There are still a few small hickups but nothing major. I would say after the next couple of firmwares I would call it a stable and usable player and with new NMJ it will be a good buy for most.
Brajesh's Avatar Brajesh 12:21 PM 04-24-2013
Didn't know you could stream high bitrate 3D ISO's via SMB. Hmm, maybe I should give the A-400 another chance. I love my Mede8er, but PCH's jukebox solutions (its own and 3rd party) are better.
comicguy's Avatar comicguy 12:25 PM 04-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

I use samba when I streamed the hobbit. There is a few issues with subtitles still, and with the newest firmware people are getting the occasional black screen where HDMI did not sync right. they put out a fix shortly after the last release that seems to have fixed it for the most part but still happens every now and again I assume a new fix will come in the next few days. The naming scheme for switching right and left eye automatically is amazing, New NMJ layout is better then the old. There are still a few small hickups but nothing major. I would say after the next couple of firmwares I would call it a stable and usable player and with new NMJ it will be a good buy for most.
1.issues with subtitles
2. black screens
3.few "small hiccups"

Your definition of "stable and usable player are wayyyyyyyyyyy different from mine...
Will stick with my Dunes and Oppo 93 for 3D...
One of these days PCH will get it right...
halfelite's Avatar halfelite 12:27 PM 04-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

1.issues with subtitles
2. black screens
3.few "small hiccups"

Your definition of "stable and usable player are wayyyyyyyyyyy different from mine...

1. Subtitle issues are so far invalid characters in Arabic language and a wrong capital letter in another. Hardly show stopping bugs.
2. The black screen is a bug and as I said better but next fix should fix it all the way.

And funny you mention subtitles since the dune does not even have 3d subtitles, So how does that fit into your view of a usable player. One has some wrong characters and another has no subtitles

Now the oppo is a solid option. and the mede8er is a solid option if it wasnt for the UI, Dune I dont see much different then the A400 yet.

No eye switching so cant watch most of the newest major release
No 3d subtitles rules out anything that needs subtitles
people still complain about about suttering
people complain about the white noise issue

To me they are all show stopping bugs on the DUNE for 3d as a player.
cadett's Avatar cadett 12:28 PM 04-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

1.issues with subtitles
2. black screens
3.few "small hiccups"

Yea, it's getting better, but PCH is still playing CYA & releasing firmware once, twice a week. Still got aways to go.
halfelite's Avatar halfelite 12:42 PM 04-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Yea, it's getting better, but PCH is still playing CYA & releasing firmware once, twice a week. Still got aways to go.

I agree with this but firmware releases are better then no releases. And will be nice to add some competition into the mix If PCH becomes more stable maybe it will force mede8er to make a decent jukebox to compete in the UI world. With being able to create your own home screen layout and internal jukebox makes it a nice option for the a400 if it plays your content without issue, Would be nice if the zappitti player went fully internal but at least booting to jukebox is a good step for it. Mede8er needs to follow in the UI world now. Hopefully with there new API they are working on something.
cadett's Avatar cadett 12:49 PM 04-24-2013
Quote:

I agree with this but firmware releases are better then no releases. And will be nice to add some competition into the mix If PCH becomes more stable maybe it will force mede8er to make a decent jukebox to compete in the UI world. With being able to create your own home screen layout and internal jukebox makes it a nice option for the a400 if it plays your content without issue, Would be nice if the zappitti player went fully internal but at least booting to jukebox is a good step for it. Mede8er needs to follow in the UI world now. Hopefully with there new API they are working on something.

Touche' Speaking of Halflite. How n the heck do you customize the home screen. I'm not getting it. This is the first time I've owned a PCH, so maybe some of the lingo(telenet-ing) is throwing me off. Is there a guide or something that walks you through the process? I'd like to experiment with tweaking the layout, but I'm kinda lost. Your expertise in this area would be appreciated. Thanks
cadett's Avatar cadett 12:59 PM 04-24-2013
halfelite's Avatar halfelite 01:51 PM 04-24-2013
Quote:

Found This: http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/.home_theme

You need to download the .home package you can find it here http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=65250 the instructions are inside the zip and pretty basic for how to change the icons on the screen and move them where you want them. if you want to get more advanced you have to do some xml editing. If you look on popcornhour.fr forums you will see another pre made package that has a slideshow that changes for the background.

If you need more help post what you are trying to accomplish and we can take a more in-depth look
Wryker's Avatar Wryker 02:27 PM 04-24-2013
Quote:

You need to download the .home package you can find it here http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=65250 the instructions are inside the zip and pretty basic for how to change the icons on the screen and move them where you want them. if you want to get more advanced you have to do some xml editing. If you look on popcornhour.fr forums you will see another pre made package that has a slideshow that changes for the background.

If you need more help post what you are trying to accomplish and we can take a more in-depth look

Well now - I posted on the NMT forum in that thread asking for directions so I'll see if there's anything in that download that I missed since i couldn't find any real instructions on how to customize it. I'd really like YAMJ on the home screen for sure.
halfelite's Avatar halfelite 02:38 PM 04-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

Well now - I posted on the NMT forum in that thread asking for directions so I'll see if there's anything in that download that I missed since i couldn't find any real instructions on how to customize it. I'd really like YAMJ on the home screen for sure.

Im going to assume your yamj is located on a network using eversion if so open the .home package and goto the folder original\.home\source\xml\menu.xml and open in a text editor. you can either add yamj or change one of the icons on the screen already to add it paste something like this
Code:
<item onRollOut="yamj_icon" onRollOver="yamj_on_icon">
                    <app id="smb://[=]servername/Jukebox/Jukebox/eversion.phf">
                        <title>Jukebox</title>
                        <url></url>
                        <arg></arg>
                    </app>
</item>

in the same folder as menu.xml open skin.xml and add these
Code:
<item id="customised_icon"                      url="images/menu/icon/customised.png"/>
                <item id="customised_on_icon"              url="images/menu/icon/customised_on.png"/>
Now you will need to have a yamj icon there are pre made ones on the NMT forums somewhere. and this will allow a yamj icon to be on the main menu that launches straight into eversion.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 10:10 PM 04-24-2013
Quote:

The A400 already is more stable. I can watch most of my 3D BD ISOs now, over my network, without issues. Before I was using a USB drive attached to my A400's to watch them. And it is fine watching 2D BD ISOs over the network. I use SAMBA with my A400's.
Things seem to finally be coming together for the A400 after several months of issues.
comicguy's Avatar comicguy 06:39 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:

1. Subtitle issues are so far invalid characters in Arabic language and a wrong capital letter in another. Hardly show stopping bugs.
2. The black screen is a bug and as I said better but next fix should fix it all the way.

And funny you mention subtitles since the dune does not even have 3d subtitles, So how does that fit into your view of a usable player. One has some wrong characters and another has no subtitles

Now the oppo is a solid option. and the mede8er is a solid option if it wasnt for the UI, Dune I dont see much different then the A400 yet.

No eye switching so cant watch most of the newest major release
No 3d subtitles rules out anything that needs subtitles
people still complain about about suttering
people complain about the white noise issue

To me they are all show stopping bugs on the DUNE for 3d as a player.

I should have clarified. I have a Dune Duo for all non 3D iso files and use the Oppo 93 for All 3D iso files. Have watched ,literally, 40-50 3D movies on the Oppo, not one single issue. NONE. Interface sucks, no jukebox but flawless playback. Of course, as I have stated before, the oppo is pricey and will only play from attached storage. I also have a couple of PCH 200's that work fine for the most part on non 3D titles. I am ever the optimistic that there will be a one box solution so keep my eye on this thread hoping the 400 might become that. The 200 was kind of a turd when it was released but became super solid after a time.
RickAVManiac's Avatar RickAVManiac 08:51 AM 04-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Quote:

The A400 already is more stable. I can watch most of my 3D BD ISOs now, over my network, without issues. Before I was using a USB drive attached to my A400's to watch them. And it is fine watching 2D BD ISOs over the network. I use SAMBA with my A400's.
Things seem to finally be coming together for the A400 after several months of issues.

For me, the A400 in very stable in 2D and have play everything I gave him so far... (ISO vis SMB)

The image quality for below 1080p resolution is just the best and even the image quality of 1080p is better than some other player on the market.

For 3D, it's still have some difficulty with Disney titles but I don't watch a lot of 3D so for me it's not a big deal right now.

Also, there a couple of bugs here and there but nothing to ruin the viewing pleasure.

When the developer will nail down the remaining bugs, it will be hell of a player smile.gif
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe 06:25 AM 05-08-2013
Just thought I'd post this question here as well before pulling the trigger on a 400.

My plan was/is to simply connect two or three Seagate Central (4) TB HDDs to my network via ethernet and have the 400 consolidate the contents of either into one movie wall. Now, a learned member here was kind enough to check it out and said it's possible as long as I go through a few steps "scanning" the the drives, starting out.

However, this is the response I received from Cloud Media:

Me: If I have (2) Seagate Central external hard drives plugged into a switch (via ethernet) that the 400 is also connected to, will the 400/NMT jukebox software consolidate all of my movies onto a single wall/screen?

Cloud: No. A400 will consolidate them into two different wall, one for each harddisk.

Are they simply not aware of what their hardware/software is capable of or did they misunderstand the question? Just FYI: these Seagates do not output their contents over USB, just ethernet, so a USB hub really isn't an option. The USB is reserved for a "slave" HDD. But if two Seagate Central drives do not work, would a "slave" HDD connected to the Seagate appear as one to the 400?

thanks for all the help!

James
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe 06:36 AM 05-08-2013
By the way, they also said 4TB drives will NOT work in the 400. Didn't see that anywhere in the thread so I figured I'd mention it.

James
Wryker's Avatar Wryker 07:39 AM 05-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Just thought I'd post this question here as well before pulling the trigger on a 400.

My plan was/is to simply connect two or three Seagate Central (4) TB HDDs to my network via ethernet and have the 400 consolidate the contents of either into one movie wall. Now, a learned member here was kind enough to check it out and said it's possible as long as I go through a few steps "scanning" the the drives, starting out.

However, this is the response I received from Cloud Media:

Me: If I have (2) Seagate Central external hard drives plugged into a switch (via ethernet) that the 400 is also connected to, will the 400/NMT jukebox software consolidate all of my movies onto a single wall/screen?

Cloud: No. A400 will consolidate them into two different wall, one for each harddisk.

Are they simply not aware of what their hardware/software is capable of or did they misunderstand the question? Just FYI: these Seagates do not output their contents over USB, just ethernet, so a USB hub really isn't an option. The USB is reserved for a "slave" HDD. But if two Seagate Central drives do not work, would a "slave" HDD connected to the Seagate appear as one to the 400?

thanks for all the help!

James

Cloud is correct BUT incorrect. If you want to use NMJ the normal A400 does not come w/support for multiple drives however there is a program that will combine your drives into one. Visit Network Media Tank and you'll find this: http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=47441 and use NMJToolbox 2 http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=56594

I have the A400 and I'm not thrilled w/NMJ so I'm using YAMJ w/Eversion and evZap skins. I have 9 USB drives daisy-chained to my A400, one internal HD inside the A400 and another 3TB drive inside my main PC and they all are scraped into on Jukebox.
RickAVManiac's Avatar RickAVManiac 08:00 AM 05-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

I received the Dune HD 303D last week and was able to do some tests vs my Popcorn Hour A400.

The first thing that got my attention is the case, the Dune have the cheapest plastic case I ever see. I know it change nothing to the picture quality but it does give a cheap look to my Home theatre ring wink.gif

The Popcorn A400 case are made from metal and it's a Silverstone design so look and feel a bit more high end.

I know Dune also made the Base 3D, if I choose to stay with Dune, i think I will go for that machine as the case look to be made of metal. Can someone confirm this?

Ok now the real thing, the picture quality :

For everything below 1080p, no contest, the Popcorn Hour have the best picture quality. So if someone have a lot of DVD rip or they download a lot of 720p tv show or movies from internet, the A400 thanks to is VXP chip have the best picture quality. I did a lot of test with that type of content on my 108 inchs screen and there's no contest, the A400 is better

For everything that is 1080p (aka blu ray rip) the picture quality is about the same. No real difference here. The picture quality of the Dune is great and better than the realtek player I was using before.

The only thing in favor of the A400 in 1080p is that the VXP setting are still available and can enhance the picture quality perception. There two setting : one call Highlight and the other one Shadow. They can help to give a more 3D look on some flat transfert (poor blu ray upconvert). But this is for sure not "director intent" so a more subjective appreciation.

As for the stability, the Dune is way more stable and ready to rock than the Popcorn Hour. The A400 has made giant leap in the right direction but there still some bugs here and there. As for the Dune, is's almost a flawless experience.

On the Jukebox side, on the Dune I install Zappiti and was really impress by this Jukebox, the graphics are great and the Jukebox work really well without any bugs. The new NMJ on the A400 is great too but still have some littles bugs here and there.

Thats it for now, I will continu to do more testing this week-end and report back at a later time...

A quick follow-up on my last post.

I am currently testing the Popcorn Hour A400 vs the Dune HD 303D.

I really like both of the player but I only want to keep one. After a lot of testing and internal debating, I choose to keep the Dune. I really like the stability of the player and the Zappiti Jukebox is really great.

The Popcorn A400 still have the best image quality below 1080p but my watching is 99% full HD, so not a big deal for me.

My Popcorn Hour is now for sale, if someone want a good deal on it, send me a PM.
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe 08:26 AM 05-08-2013
Quote:

Cloud is correct BUT incorrect. If you want to use NMJ the normal A400 does not come w/support for multiple drives however there is a program that will combine your drives into one. Visit Network Media Tank and you'll find this: http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=47441 and use NMJToolbox 2 http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=56594

I have the A400 and I'm not thrilled w/NMJ so I'm using YAMJ w/Eversion and evZap skins. I have 9 USB drives daisy-chained to my A400, one internal HD inside the A400 and another 3TB drive inside my main PC and they all are scraped into on Jukebox.

Ok, so I have a workaround, great and thanks. I was very leery of the having to go the "connecting a bunch of drives via usb" route because then what would happen if I added a second player? If all connected via a USB hub- like you seem to be doing- would (2) PCH's be able to pull files simultaneously? I don't understand why not but someone much more learned than I said it would be an issue...like a hub only "outputs" to one USB connection?

Bottom line: once I do what I need to do so the 400 "sees" the attached drives, will it automatically update the jukebox as I add more titles to the drives?

James
cadett's Avatar cadett 08:54 AM 05-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

A quick follow-up on my last post.

I am currently testing the Popcorn Hour A400 vs the Dune HD 303D.

I really like both of the player but I only want to keep one. After a lot of testing and internal debating, I choose to keep the Dune. I really like the stability of the player and the Zappiti Jukebox is really great.

The Popcorn A400 still have the best image quality below 1080p but my watching is 99% full HD, so not a big deal for me.

My Popcorn Hour is now for sale, if someone want a good deal on it, send me a PM.

Could you give a few pros & cons on the two? I own the PCH, but wondered how the new Dunes compared..
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe 09:02 AM 05-08-2013
Ok, another dilemma: if I forgo the network side of connection and simply connect external HDDs to the 400, would the 400 make the attached HDDs available across the network? I ask because I'd then be able to attach another PCH to my network and access the files, correct?

james
cadett's Avatar cadett 09:05 AM 05-08-2013
Quote:

Ok, another dilemma: if I forgo the network side of connection and simply connect external HDDs to the 400, would the 400 make the attached HDDs available across the network? I ask because I'd then be able to attach another PCH to my network and access the files, correct?

james

Yes everything would be accessible via your network.
mrfattbill's Avatar mrfattbill 09:11 AM 05-08-2013
Quote:

Yes everything would be accessible via your network.

Would it show as a single drive or would it show as multiple drives and would the PCH need to be on?

Bill
cadett's Avatar cadett 09:26 AM 05-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Would it show as a single drive or would it show as multiple drives and would the PCH need to be on?

Bill

If you are asking about the Jukebox, it combines all drives into one. If you are browsing you drives via network, it shows all drives as individual drives. Whether it be esata, usb, or internal.
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe 09:31 AM 05-08-2013
^ If this is correct re the jukebox functionality that's great as that's all I'm really concerned about. It's a shame it doesn't seem to do it straightaway though, hopefully the fix is not the CPU/software equiv of a 4minute mile, lol.

James
halfelite's Avatar halfelite 12:29 PM 05-08-2013
Quote:

^ If this is correct re the jukebox functionality that's great as that's all I'm really concerned about. It's a shame it doesn't seem to do it straightaway though, hopefully the fix is not the CPU/software equiv of a 4minute mile, lol.

James

The work around is easy and quick because PCH started to add a multi location jukebox support but seems they never finished it. Once you load your NMJ db in NMJ toolbox you just have to add the paths you want scanned and the PCH will automount and scan them so the parts are in the db already to support multiple locations just not in the UI of the PCH to setup yet
Wryker's Avatar Wryker 01:33 PM 05-08-2013
Quote:

James
to add to halflite's post YAMJ does this already (multi-drive support) out of the 'box'. So it's whatever flavor you choose. NMJ's benefit is that you can use your android tablet or iPad to control your A400 and see the NMJ jukebox on it.
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe 01:44 PM 05-08-2013
^ nice ones, guys. thanks. The ipad functionality sounds pretty cool so maybe I'll at least give NMT a shot.

James
halfelite's Avatar halfelite 01:47 PM 05-08-2013
Quote:

to add to halflite's post YAMJ does this already (multi-drive support) out of the 'box'. So it's whatever flavor you choose. NMJ's benefit is that you can use your android tablet or iPad to control your A400 and see the NMJ jukebox on it.

just to add you can use the ipad iskin for yamj also
Tags: Popcorn Hour A 400 Network Media Jukebox
First ... 44  45  46 47  48  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop