Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1981 of 2298 Old 10-08-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 154
gotcha, thanks. Do I need to worry about putting in an IP that already exists elsewhere on my network...should I just us something like "17" to avoid an issue with something else...I think I have 9-10 IPs on my network, currently.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2298 Old 10-08-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Keep it in the pool range of your dhcp server. Most addresses are 192.168.1.XXX where .0, .1 are gateways and .254 is often reserved already by other devices. You should see the entire list of reservations in the router config screen so just pick one that is not there.
post #1983 of 2298 Old 10-08-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hi James,
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

. . . I always thought that the router is what assigns IP addresses to the network it "runs". So, when you "assign" an IP to a specific device that would ALWAYS be the IP it would have, so there would be- by design- no way the device could ever have an IP different from that which you assigned within the router. redface.gif
For most networks, that is correct. But only because most routers have a built-in DHCP server that is enabled by default.

When a computer or other Ethernet device powers-up, and it has its DHCP client enabled, it broadcasts a request for an IP address. If there is a DHCP server on the network, it responds with a minimum of the IP address, subnet-mask and gateway. There are dozens of optional parameters it could also set.

There needs to be one, and only one, DHCP server on the network. Since most people have only one router, that works well. But adding a second router could cause problems. My DHCP server is in my domain controller, and is smart enough to post a message and shut itself down if it detects another DHCP server on the network. It does this whenever I add a new router to the network, until I disable DHCP in that new router. I doubt the DHCP servers in most routers are that smart.

When you use a static IP address, many devices will use a default subnet-mask that is based on the address-range of the IP address. If the subnet mask does not match the mask in every other machine in the network, then you have issues of devices failing to communicate properly. When I see problems on a network that uses static IP addressing, the first thing I check are that the subnet-masks and gateway IP addresses match in all machines.

Your problem may be none of this, but checking them will at least keep you off the streets . . .
post #1984 of 2298 Old 10-09-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I figured I'd ask here cause I can't seem to find anything related at networkmediatank.

I have an issue setting up my WD MYBook Live NAS drive as NFS. I have the A-210 but I believe the setup is the same. When I browse the NFS servers, it sees my WD drive as the proper IP 192.168.1.4. When I click that it shows NFS as the only folder. When I select that, it returns to the menus and fills in the blanks with protocal NFS, IP 192.168.1.4 and the share folder as "nfs"(without the quotes).

Thats great but what I really want is only ONE folder on that NFS share, not the whole drive. the folder is /Public/BluRays. So I figured all I had to do was in the shared folder field, change it from just nfs to nfs/Public/BluRays. However, whenever I do this, I get an error when I actually try to use the share feom the Main menu. If I leave the share folder as just "nfs" it works, but it drops me at the top of the tree and I have to drill down to Public, then BluRays.

This also has a bad side effect in that when I run the Juke Box and it creates it media.db database, it puts it at the top NFS level of the drive, so it's at nfs\nmj_database\media.db. This becomes completely inaccessible within Windows and thus I cannot point the NMJToolbox to the media.db file.

What do I need to set the share folder as for it to just point directly to the /Public/BluRays directory?

Thanks
post #1985 of 2298 Old 10-09-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

@Chuck_IV:  I don't have a lot of experience with NFS (also tried http but that was even worse) as I only ever tried using it with my A-110 when I couldn't stream high bitrate files without stuttering on my network.  This problem was solved by adding a switch and connecting the A-110 to a 10/100 port.  I know it doesn't answer your question but I'm wondering if you've tried SMB with the latest A-210 FW?  I only mention it because it's very easy to configure your shares using SMB.

post #1986 of 2298 Old 10-09-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 59
Chuck_IV I dont know much about the WD MYBook Live NAS drive. But in order for /Public/BluRays to be a root NFS share you need to set this on the NAS not on a client. The Client will always see the root as /Public you need a new export on the wd NAS that points to the root as /public/BluRays
post #1987 of 2298 Old 10-09-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

ok, forgive then ultra-green question, but when downloading the f-ware update, it instructs to unzip to the "root directory" of the flash. Does that simply mean I select my flash, then choose the first available area to download? Don't want to mess this up, thanks.

And as an aside, it sure doesn't seem obvious to me that the home page is where the latest f-ware is down-loaded, it looks like it's referring to the 5-4-2013 update: http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=68506

James

post #1988 of 2298 Old 10-09-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

What is means is when you download a firmware it will come inside a .zip file inside that .zip is a file called firmware*.bin md5sum nmt.apps and maybe a changelog or .txt file. It wants the *.bin file and *.apps file if you have nmt apps as the root of the usb stick. So if you stick the usb stick on the computer and it shows up as e:\ it was in it e:\ not in a folder like e:\firmware\firmware.bin

So it would look like e:\firemware.bin

Also cloudmedia.com does not have the forum releases listed on the site just the official releases. Forum releases are put out for users like yourself to test if the network drop issue was fixed or not before they put it into an official release.
post #1989 of 2298 Old 10-09-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I understand re the forum releases, what I'm saying is that the page where the forum release is listed doesn't appear to be current, but a 5/4/2103 "official release".

Doesn't matter I guess, just is a bit confusing.

James

post #1990 of 2298 Old 10-09-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

The 05-04 in the firmware description is not the date.  The date is the yellow highlighted section below (10/2/13 in a YY/MM/DD format):

post #1991 of 2298 Old 10-09-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Ha ha, ok. I'm sure you can understand how that can be read as 05-04-13 ...especially by American users.

thanks for the clarification.

James

post #1992 of 2298 Old 10-09-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I can more than understand, I used to make that same mistake! ;)

post #1993 of 2298 Old 10-09-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

Chuck_IV I dont know much about the WD MYBook Live NAS drive. But in order for /Public/BluRays to be a root NFS share you need to set this on the NAS not on a client. The Client will always see the root as /Public you need a new export on the wd NAS that points to the root as /public/BluRays

See this is where I get stuck. The A210 only seems to see down to the "NFS" level and that's it. The WD MYBook has a permanent share on there already created called "Public". Even if I create another share, called say "BluRay" along side of the "Public", the A210 won't see past the "NFS" level. So I can never select even the "Public" share. It stays a level above that. I guess this may be a limitation of the Drive's NFS implementation. The NFS is considered Root and I don't think I can do anything else, unless maybe if I telnet in and try to do things that way.

This also causes a problem now because I cannot even see the njm_database/media.db file that it created as it was created somewhere I'm guessing at the root level which cannot be seen in Windows.

The problem I had with SMB is I could set the share up just fine(Select WorkGroup, then MYBookLive1 and pick the folder) but when I would run the JukeBox on it, I could go all the way through the selection of what to scan but when it would try to scan and build the database, it would immediately fail with the message of "Source not Found". I could never figure out what was going on, so I moved over to NFS.
post #1994 of 2298 Old 10-09-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

There's a simple workaround for the database location.  Just create a share where you have access in Windows (presumably with no media or maybe add a file to create the database) and then use NMJToolbox2 to add a second share (your NFS share).  This way the media.db file can reside somewhere you can access it from Windows.

If you abandoned SMB just because of NMJ then I would definitely learn how to use NMJToolbox2 to manage your database.  My A-400 couldn't even scan my library and I'd be lost right now without ROM's tool.  It's incredibly easy to use as long as you get paths setup correctly.

post #1995 of 2298 Old 10-10-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

There's a simple workaround for the database location.  Just create a share where you have access in Windows (presumably with no media or maybe add a file to create the database) and then use NMJToolbox2 to add a second share (your NFS share).  This way the media.db file can reside somewhere you can access it from Windows.

If you abandoned SMB just because of NMJ then I would definitely learn how to use NMJToolbox2 to manage your database.  My A-400 couldn't even scan my library and I'd be lost right now without ROM's tool.  It's incredibly easy to use as long as you get paths setup correctly.

Yea, I need to work with this more. I was able to SSH into my WD MYBook drive last night and the nmj_database directory was right where I thought it would be, under the /NFS share, thus it was inaccessible in Windows. I wiped it from there and ended up going back to SMB. I was able to get SMB working by just leaving the high level share folder in the share folder field. In my case it is "Public". If I changed it to say "Public/BluRays" I could browse the share fine and could go through all the motins in NMJ to scan it but when it would go to scan, I would get the "Source not Found" error. Leaveing it at just "Public" and then specifying to only scan the BluRays directory worked ok.

Now for my next issue. I was able to scan both my WD MYLive drives individually. One has all my BluRays on it and the other all my DVDs, TV series and Music files. After creating a useable NMJ database on each driver, I used NMJToolbox to open the BluRay library and do the Multishare option in the "Paths" section to add the database for the DVDs, TV and Music.

After doing so, I went back to NMJ on the A-210 and went into the database section and it listed both the BluRay database and the other one(the DVDs,TV and Music one) from the other drive.I told it to update all(recan all was greyed out) and it went through the verifying database ALMOST to the end, but then right near the end, the screen blanks and the NMJ logo comes up and it freezes there. I have to eventually unplug the device to get it going again.After I get back, the databases aren't updated. I have done this 3 times but it does the same thing every time.

I saw someone mention you can do the actual full rescan/rebuild to create the combined media.db file from within NMJToolbox but I haven't found an option to do it.

I'm gonna take a look again tonight. This thing is frustrating. Seems like I have to jump through hoops to get anything to work right on this thing.
post #1996 of 2298 Old 10-10-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

First of all, you don't want two seperate media.db files if eventually you want both locations in the same jukebox.  Create one file by scanning a location you can access from your PC.  Keep in mind this doesn't have to be a location that you will ever want to store media in the future as it's a workaround for NMJ not allowing you to specify the location of the db explicitly.  Once you have created the db file in an accessible location, you then add the path(s) of your media to this database from NMJToolbox2.  At this point, you can now delete the original path.  I suggested putting one media file in this original path location just to confirm your database was scanning correctly.  You can then manually delete this entry from within NMJToolbox2.  Once the paths are setup, you can scan for new media by type or scan for all new media with the appropriate button in NMJT2.

I just saw your thread on the NMT forum so check my response there as well.

Chuck_IV likes this.
post #1997 of 2298 Old 10-11-2013, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I finally got it set up right. Thanks jkasanic.

What I did was create a media.db file with NJM, then moved the whole directory over to the internal drive in the A210. I then used NMJTookbox and opened it and selected the multishare, added the 2 shares I had and removed the original one like you said. I then let NJMToolbox do the scanning instead of the A210.

I then setup a share to point to the internal drive and added the index.htm auto start file and it worked(the A-210 doesn't have the NMJ autostart option available). When I select the share pointing to the internal drive(I called it Movies and TV) it autostarts NMJ.
post #1998 of 2298 Old 10-11-2013, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad to hear you got it working!

post #1999 of 2298 Old 10-11-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 592
So, I'm a little bit upset that my ebay app didn't warn me that the bidding for a PCH-A400 I was looking at it was ending. So, it sold for $162. Anyway, does anyone have a video or pictures of how the Plex UI looks like? This is probably the only reason why I am considering the A400. I've been looking at other Google TV android devices like the Sony GS7 / GS8 and the Vizio Co-Star, but I am not 100% sure I want to go with either of them.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #2000 of 2298 Old 10-11-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

So, I'm a little bit upset that my ebay app didn't warn me that the bidding for a PCH-A400 I was looking at it was ending. So, it sold for $162. Anyway, does anyone have a video or pictures of how the Plex UI looks like? This is probably the only reason why I am considering the A400. I've been looking at other Google TV android devices like the Sony GS7 / GS8 and the Vizio Co-Star, but I am not 100% sure I want to go with either of them.

It's the same as all the other Plex apps.

I have a GS7 I'll sell you cheap ;-)

Looky here!
post #2001 of 2298 Old 10-11-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

looks like most plex apps. it functions pretty nice I have been using it as my jukebox for the past 2 weeks fully and like it a lot. The on deck stuff gets a little confusing though.
post #2002 of 2298 Old 10-11-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

looks like most plex apps. it functions pretty nice I have been using it as my jukebox for the past 2 weeks fully and like it a lot. The on deck stuff gets a little confusing though.

You can remove the "on deck" section if you want under the Plex web settings.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #2003 of 2298 Old 10-11-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

It's the same as all the other Plex apps.

I have a GS7 I'll sell you cheap ;-)

What's cheap? Best buy has like 5 open box GS7 for $80.00, which I am not sure if they were return because they suck or people do not know how to use them.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #2004 of 2298 Old 10-11-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Like all Plex apps. Like last century.
post #2005 of 2298 Old 10-11-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

You can remove the "on deck" section if you want under the Plex web settings.

that only removes it from the web not from the clients though
post #2006 of 2298 Old 10-11-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

that only removes it from the web not from the clients though

I see. I didn't know that.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #2007 of 2298 Old 10-14-2013, 08:53 AM

Liked: 10
Planning to buy the A400. Quick question.

I have a Media server running Windows Server 2012 Essentials that houses all my media. Do I need a DLNA server software to catalog and stream to Popocorn client? Or, if I share the right directories, would A400 be able to see and play the files? The video files are in various formats like .avi, .mpg, .mkv.
post #2008 of 2298 Old 10-14-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1nath View Post

Planning to buy the A400. Quick question.

I have a Media server running Windows Server 2012 Essentials that houses all my media. Do I need a DLNA server software to catalog and stream to Popocorn client? Or, if I share the right directories, would A400 be able to see and play the files? The video files are in various formats like .avi, .mpg, .mkv.

No DLNA client needed, just set up your WS2012E shared folders on your PCHA400 (samba or nfs)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #2009 of 2298 Old 10-14-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

No DLNA client needed, just set up your WS2012E shared folders on your PCHA400 (samba or nfs)

dbone dbeat me to it!

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #2010 of 2298 Old 10-14-2013, 10:13 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Thanks dbone!!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Popcorn Hour A 400 Network Media Jukebox

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page