AVS Forum banner

POPCORN HOUR A-400 is coming soon

175K views 2K replies 165 participants last post by  Wryker 
#1 ·
#1,902 ·
Both of Mine are shut down all the time after use. So far they have been working very well. It's a rare occurrence for me to need to reboot them. Every once I a while though a file will cause an issue. And once that happens it needs to be rebooted to rectify the problem. But luckily it doesn't happen very often in my use. I'm still using the last official release. I never loaded the forum firmware that was released a few weeks ago.

#1,904 ·
^

1. Can't speak to the 3D performance, sorry.

2. Yes it does 7.1

3. Yes it supports DTS HD MA

4. Pretty sure it does not upmix 2.0 content.

James

#1,905 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by asciii  /t/1427748/popcorn-hour-a-400-is-coming-soon/1890#post_23765920

How is the quality of 3d iso file that is run in a400 from nas? Does a400 support 7.1 audio? Does it support dts hd-ma?When watching something that has 2.0 audio..can it upmix it to 7.1?

It works very well with my 3D BD ISOs from my unRAIDs. I have no problems watching them over my network. I know it supports 7.1 bitstreaming, not sure about the A400 doing the decoding for 7.1 and I have no idea about upmixing. I let my receivers apply post processing to the audio and I only have my two A400s bitstream the audio.

#1,906 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt  /t/1427748/popcorn-hour-a-400-is-coming-soon/1890#post_23766201

It works very well with my 3D BD ISOs from my unRAIDs. I have no problems watching them over my network. I know it supports 7.1 bitstreaming, not sure about the A400 doing the decoding for 7.1 and I have no idea about upmixing. I let my receivers apply post processing to the audio and I only have my two A400s bitstream the audio.
Hi

What about disney 3d titles?heard there are issues in playing it before in a400

#1,907 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by asciii  /t/1427748/popcorn-hour-a-400-is-coming-soon/1890#post_23768396

Hi

There are slight issues on all 3d players that do not have a full bluray player. There will be a slight audio glitch everytime there is a branch in the iso file Disney is not the only branched movies but they are the biggest maker of branched movies.

A branched title is when the 3d movie is made up of lots of little chunks some branched titles can only branch 3 times some can branch up to 40 times.

#1,908 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by asciii  /t/1427748/popcorn-hour-a-400-is-coming-soon/1890#post_23768396

Hi

As was mentioned there can sometimes be a split second audio glitch with the multiple branch titles. Wreck It Ralph is one of my test Discs for that. And with the current firmware I can play the entire movie and there will only be a few split second audio glitches. The vast majority of titles do not have these outrageous amounts of multiple Branches.

#1,909 ·
How does Cloud Media ship these days? If delivery is scheduled when one is not home what arrangements can be made?

#1,910 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J  /t/1427748/popcorn-hour-a-400-is-coming-soon/1890#post_23769470

How does Cloud Media ship these days? If delivery is scheduled when one is not home what arrangements can be made?

The still ship it dhl air. If DHL makes the full shipping to your home you can call dhl and email an authorization form for them to leave it at your door. if you are worried about shipping from cloudmedia you can also order from amazon they are still selling there and the US reseller is http://www.diamondhomedesign.com/ which Im sure you could work out a shipping method.

#1,911 ·
Between price, free wi-fi dongle and shipping costs it appears Cloud has the best deal by a good margin.

#1,913 ·
I concur...I saved a few more bucks getting mine newly-used but even with my own start-up issues- that I'm confident I'll have ironed-out eventually- I think it's a great player that should serve me very well from some time.

James

#1,914 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s  /t/1427748/popcorn-hour-a-400-is-coming-soon/1890#post_23770137

I agree. The question is will it work for your set up

Will what work? Wi-fi?

#1,915 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J  /t/1427748/popcorn-hour-a-400-is-coming-soon/1890#post_23770184

Will what work? Wi-fi?

I've had Popcorn Hours before, and it was frustrating to set up let along updating the firmware was a PIA for my PCH-A210 and A300. I ended up selling one and returning the other. However, it appears that PCH is doing a much better job with the A400.

So, I was referring to past horrible PCH and customer service experiences.

#1,916 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s  /t/1427748/popcorn-hour-a-400-is-coming-soon/1890#post_23770290

I've had Popcorn Hours before, and it was frustrating to set up let along updating the firmware was a PIA for my PCH-A210 and A300. I ended up selling one and returning the other. However, it appears that PCH is doing a much better job with the A400.

Oh Ok, yes I know how that goes. I started with the very first one - the A-100. After the C-200 I said I will not be buying any PCH when it comes out anymore and that is exactly what I have done. Only when the bitching and moaning dies down and the firmware seems stable enough will I go for a new one. That never seemed to happen with the 300 so I skipped it. It seems the A-400 may now be worth a shot.

#1,917 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s  /t/1427748/popcorn-hour-a-400-is-coming-soon/1890#post_23770290

just to ask what problems did you have with updates the firmware? Unless you count doing forum releases by usb. I just always click update firmware when it tells me never had issues.

#1,918 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite  /t/1427748/popcorn-hour-a-400-is-coming-soon/1890#post_23770547

just to ask what problems did you have with updates the firmware? Unless you count doing forum releases by usb. I just always click update firmware when it tells me never had issues.

Whenever I did an update either via internet or via USB, I would have to re-do all of my shares and IP addresses again. For some reason or another on every update it wouldn't have this information at all. The internal NMJ was pretty cool, but I had some issues with it not updating / editing correctly. I called PCH when they were in CA, and I was pretty much told it was my fault and I didn't know what I was doing
That was for my A300, which was sent back via FedEx next day 15 min. after I finished talking to PCH customer service.

My PCH-A210 was pretty solid, but I got tired of YAMJ + YAYMAN. So, I ended up selling it and now using Dune media players only. In my opinion their jukeboxes options are better and easier to maintain.

#1,919 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s  /t/1427748/popcorn-hour-a-400-is-coming-soon/1890#post_23770770

Whenever I did an update either via internet or via USB, I would have to re-do all of my shares and IP addresses again. For some reason or another on every update it wouldn't have this information at all. The internal NMJ was pretty cool, but I had some issues with it not updating / editing correctly. I called PCH when they were in CA, and I was pretty much told it was my fault and I didn't know what I was doing
That was for my A300, which was sent back via FedEx next day 15 min. after I finished talking to PCH customer service.

My PCH-A210 was pretty solid, but I got tired of YAMJ + YAYMAN. So, I ended up selling it and now using Dune media players only. In my opinion their jukeboxes options are better and easier to maintain.

Ah so an issue with the NAND not keeping its settings after a flash, strange. Ye the Original NMJ would have issues with updates I have not seen any reports since nmjv2 and it functions better then v1 did anyways. Most likely you called US office as they were being closed down so got some not so nice employees on the phone. But at least you made the right choice in shipping it back.

Ye the dune GUI jukebox solutions are nice. YAMJ turned into a do it all but takes a lot of setup but offers the most bang for the buck in terms of options and omertron always added pretty much anything anyone wanted so made it almost impossible for a decent GUI solution. But now with two plex apps, eversion, NMJV2/nmjtoolbox, I would say plex takes the cake for easiest to use if your folders are setup like plex likes, Next goes NMJ/toolbox hopefully pch fixes the apiv2 moviedb issue fast enough though.

#1,920 ·
Good morning all:

After implementing a dedicated Cat 6 to my router (which also has dedicated 2 foot Cat 6 from my Synology) from the 400 I still get the "cannot access server" and "share no longer exist" errors.

Pretty much have used all of my "expertise" and nearly all of my energy at this point.

James

#1,921 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe  /t/1427748/popcorn-hour-a-400-is-coming-soon/1890#post_23786089

Good morning all:

After implementing a dedicated Cat 6 to my router (which also has dedicated 2 foot Cat 6 from my Synology) from the 400 I still get the "cannot access server" and "share no longer exist" errors.

Pretty much have used all of my "expertise" and nearly all of my energy at this point.

James

I have no idea. Maybe your A-400 is defective? I only know that neither of my two A400s have that issue.

#1,922 ·
I still think it has to do with the NAS losing it's sharing option in not the A400. Can you access it from another computer and look at the folder that has all of your media in it and look at the folder options to make sure sharing is still selected. Sometimes for security reasons the folders will stop sharing and I had that issue at first.

#1,923 ·
Ok...so lemme ask this question...

if it's a sharing issue with the NAS why does a simple reboot of the 400 solve the problem? Does it resend some set of credentials or something? And if that's the case, why wouldn't it simply do the same every time it needed to access a file...what's so exclusive to simply restarting the box?

If the unit's defective then I'll seek another. I just want to ensure I'm doing all I can to remedy this, first.

I will look at the folders within the Synology and see what I can find, there.

thanks

James

#1,925 ·
^ thank you. Looks like this f-ware was literally introduced today in hopes of addressing this problem..we'll see what happens.

James

#1,926 ·

Every time I read about people with share or streaming issues and a PCH, a Synology NAS is smack dab in the middle of it.  Seriously, I know people love the convenience factor but one can't help but gather some empirical evidence showing these NAS's just do not play nice with PCH's.  I guess one could argue if a Boxee, Dune or other streaming device works well then so should the PCH but I wonder what the NMT forum would look like if you could filter out all of the issues being reported solely by Synology users?!  Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Synology or their products, but it's got to be more than just coincidence when you look at the issues being reported in the NMT forums.  I've owned an A-110, C-200 and now the A-400 and use a DIY UnRAID server to stream my content.  Granted, I was a late adopter for all 3 models just because I didn't want to deal with the headaches involved with new product launches and I didn't feel the need to upgrade unless I gained a feature I found worthwhile (e.g. at the time I upgraded the A-110 to the C-200 I thought I needed BD ISO's with full menu structure but Cinavia has squelched that need, then 3D ISO's with the A-400 etc.).  Perhaps I'm just lucky that my network hardware all plays nice but these players have been rock solid for my needs and any faults that I do find with them are typically addressed in FW updates.  YMMV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.