2Likes

post #2311 of 2339 Old 09-15-2014, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Yeah there's only like a million of them that work on networks so you know where to look - your setup (promise)- welcome.
You're so helpful, what with your tips on how to improve this situation. Really this is what makes AVS Forum so awesome, the spirit of helpfulness and fortitude of knowledge.

You put the science in AV Science.

Thanks again.
kbarnes701 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2339 Old 09-15-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheo View Post
You're so helpful, what with your tips on how to improve this situation. Really this is what makes AVS Forum so awesome, the spirit of helpfulness and fortitude of knowledge.

Thanks again.
Also don't forget, rumor has it many of the AVSForum members here are also very easy on the eyes

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #2313 of 2339 Old 09-15-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:

Thanks again.

In kinder words we have seen this before where everything but the A400 work. Once changes were made to the network (switches/routers) things started to work again. While everything may work perfectly we wouldn't count out some incompatibility or something else happening to cause errors within your network.

The easiest way to cut it out (network) is to start taking the "inbetween" devices and switching or replacing them to see if anything changes.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #2314 of 2339 Old 09-15-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I love the " sent from my flip phone using DOS"
post #2315 of 2339 Old 09-16-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
In kinder words we have seen this before where everything but the A400 work. Once changes were made to the network (switches/routers) things started to work again. While everything may work perfectly we wouldn't count out some incompatibility or something else happening to cause errors within your network.

The easiest way to cut it out (network) is to start taking the "inbetween" devices and switching or replacing them to see if anything changes.

Uh, not likely. There were promises made.
post #2316 of 2339 Old 09-16-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Uh, not likely. There were promises made.

*Shrug* not sure what promises were made and broken. People seem to always use that word promise and rarely were there any made. I've had my A400 running for awhile now with no issues.

post #2317 of 2339 Old 09-16-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
Thank you so much for the great advice. I'm running a Synology 1813+. Router is apple airport extreme newest edition connected to a 8 port gigabit switch. All other peripherals (very connected house) run perfectly on the network.

I downloaded the latest firmware the moment I received the unit.

I'll download that ANP app and see if it works. Is there any advantage of going NFP vs. SMB in terms of stability?
They both work fine here on my A-400s. Although at some point I switched all my shares to SMB. When the A-400 first came out there were some issue. But once they got resolved it worked great with SMB.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2318 of 2339 Old 09-17-2014, 12:36 PM

Hi, so without changing anything to the network I discovered the issue to be HDMI related. When I was scanning and would swap out to another input on my integra pre/pro the handshake issues would cause the A-410 to crash when i came back to the A-410.

Last night I stayed with the unit and watched the progress bar go the entire time without swapping over to a different input and it scanned without interruption. The scan completed without a hitch and NMJ was up and working perfectly.

I later re-scanned the library and swapped out inputs on the pre-pro in the middle of it and for some reason it crashed again. Looks like I've found the culprit.

Either way, I wanted to thank you all for taking the time to give me your advice.

And yes, Gary J, I think there are "promises made". If you buy a media player and pay 250 bucks for it, the promise is built into the exchange of money for product and that promise is that the product will work.

Thinking otherwise is a bit cynical.
post #2319 of 2339 Old 09-17-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And yes, Gary J, I think there are "promises made". If you buy a media player and pay 250 bucks for it, the promise is built into the exchange of money for product and that promise is that the product will work.
Which is does when there is not a YOU problem making this a silly statement.

Quote:

Please help! I want to love this product but so far it is completely failing to deliver on the most basic of promises.
post #2320 of 2339 Old 09-17-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Which is does when there is not a YOU problem making this a silly statement.
Not to get into a flame war with anyone, because those are pointless and nerdy, but if apple or google put out a product that crashed when you swapped inputs on a receiver i'm pretty sure they would have a class action lawsuit on their hands.

I hardly think I'm CAUSING the problem because i switch inputs on my receiver. That's poor QC and testing on Cloudmedia's behalf. Stop defending a product just because it ties in with your need to be snarky to people you've never met on the internet.
post #2321 of 2339 Old 09-17-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Stop defending a product
good product like this?-not going to happen
post #2322 of 2339 Old 09-17-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

With my A-400s, I don't do any scanning from the actual media player. I use the PC program to scan all my titles and update the database. Then I just copy a version of it over to the internal hard drive on each of my A400's. With the PC program it's much easier to maintain the database and also allows me to select different cover art or fan art if I want.

Last edited by aaronwt; 09-17-2014 at 02:03 PM.
post #2323 of 2339 Old 09-17-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not to get into a flame war with anyone, because those are pointless and nerdy, but if apple or google put out a product that crashed when you swapped inputs on a receiver i'm pretty sure they would have a class action lawsuit on their hands.

I hardly think I'm CAUSING the problem because i switch inputs on my receiver. That's poor QC and testing on Cloudmedia's behalf. Stop defending a product just because it ties in with your need to be snarky to people you've never met on the internet.

A class action lawsuit when 1 user had to switch an input on their own AVR? I highly doubt it. I manual update scans weekly. Have never had a crash on my a400 while doing that. No need to defend something that works for someone and dosent work for someone else. As you found it was your set up that was causing the issue. *shrug* people act like companies can test every possible combination of setup that will be found in the wild.

post #2324 of 2339 Old 09-18-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

It only happens to yourself there would be no lawsuit. Also have you ever seen the junk inside every device on the market for HDMI handshakes and bad information inside the edid information. There are always devices on the market that have hdmi problems. And actually googles chromecast has problems with certain avr and tv combos there is no lawsuit. Its just the way the industry is, you are underthe impression that hdmi handshake is equal across all devices which sadly it is not so.
post #2325 of 2339 Old 10-01-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just a question, I have 2 popcorn hour units a c-200 and a a-400 , reciently the a-400 will not spin the hard drive up to speed, I can put the drive ini my other unit and it works great , a few questions , is there a number in the us I can call for technical assistance , and does anyone have a schematic for a a-400 , I need to know what value the regulator is inside the unit, the power supply on the outside is fine it has been tested, and help would be greatly appreciated.. Rick
post #2326 of 2339 Old 10-01-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Great information, thank you!
post #2327 of 2339 Old 10-01-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
With my A-400s, I don't do any scanning from the actual media player. I use the PC program to scan all my titles and update the database. Then I just copy a version of it over to the internal hard drive on each of my A400's. With the PC program it's much easier to maintain the database and also allows me to select different cover art or fan art if I want.
What product is this?

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #2328 of 2339 Old 10-01-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post
What product is this?

Most likely nmjtoolbox it's really handy and a great management tool for the databases.

I'm lost in the blue nowhere.
post #2329 of 2339 Old 10-01-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Most likely nmjtoolbox it's really handy and a great management tool for the databases.

I'm lost in the blue nowhere.
+1 to ROM's NMJToolbox. It's pretty much mandatory for larger databases and makes updating the library a breeze. CM should pay him for creating it as NMJ would be useless for me without it.
post #2330 of 2339 Old 10-01-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes. That is the program I use.

I have made several donations in the past but not recently. I guess it's time to give some more money for it. The program is well worth it.
post #2331 of 2339 Old 10-01-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah - that puts the media files on each drive: not centrally located. I'll continue to use YAMJ.

post #2332 of 2339 Old 10-01-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Ah - that puts the media files on each drive: not centrally located. I'll continue to use YAMJ.

NMJ can function like yamj. You can have one database but media spread out over the drives. not sure thought how you ment it.
post #2333 of 2339 Old 10-01-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I only use it on the internal drives of my A400. No need to have it on my shared drives. So when I open the app I select the A400 I want. It reads the files there and knows which of my three unRAIDs and shares the movies are located on. I keep a copy on my local PC that I make changes and additions to. So after adding new content, I just copy the file to each of my A400s.

LED DLP
post #2334 of 2339 Old 10-01-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
NMJ can function like yamj. You can have one database but media spread out over the drives. not sure thought how you ment it.
That's what I meant. I tried NMJ once (default program) and it put the files on 'that' drive and I had been reading the NMJToolkit thread for a long time but stopped a while ago when I decided to just keep YAMJ. Thanks for the clarification!

post #2335 of 2339 Old 10-01-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's what I meant. I tried NMJ once (default program) and it put the files on 'that' drive and I had been reading the NMJToolkit thread for a long time but stopped a while ago when I decided to just keep YAMJ. Thanks for the clarification!
There is definitely a trick to storing the NMJ database in a location other than where your media is located. It involves creating the database with one path (the location you want the database stored) and adding a second path (the location of your media) using NMJToolbox v2. You have to have at least one media file in the database location to start but then you can then delete it as well as the path for scanning of media and be left with just the second path you created. See this FAQ for more details.
post #2336 of 2339 Old 10-01-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post
There is definitely a trick to storing the NMJ database in a location other than where your media is located. It involves creating the database with one path (the location you want the database stored) and adding a second path (the location of your media) using NMJToolbox v2. You have to have at least one media file in the database location to start but then you can then delete it as well as the path for scanning of media and be left with just the second path you created. See this FAQ for more details.
I don't recall there being any trick. The only thing I had to do intially was create a database with an A400. Then I moved that to my PC to use NMJToolbox with it. And since I have two A400s, I made all theaccessible shares the same on each A400.

I have three unRAID setups. And I use an averageof three shares per unRAID for my TV shows/movies with my A400's. So the database has access to the content on all those shares. I load the same database onto each A400. Then when I run NMJ on my tablet I select the A400 I want to use. The cover art and fan art pops up. It has the synopsis, actors etc. I can also select the play button for the title to start playing on that A400.

LED DLP
post #2337 of 2339 Old 10-01-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I don't recall there being any trick. The only thing I had to do intially was create a database with an A400. Then I moved that to my PC to use NMJToolbox with it. And since I have two A400s, I made all theaccessible shares the same on each A400.

I have three unRAID setups. And I use an averageof three shares per unRAID for my TV shows/movies with my A400's. So the database has access to the content on all those shares. I load the same database onto each A400. Then when I run NMJ on my tablet I select the A400 I want to use. The cover art and fan art pops up. It has the synopsis, actors etc. I can also select the play button for the title to start playing on that A400.
Yeah, NMJToolbox can't create a nmj database on its own and the A-400 won't create one where no media exists so hence the trick. If you setup the db on one of your UnRAID shares then you'll have to store it there until you use NMJToolbox to setup another path. At that point, you can proceed as you described. I'm also using UnRAID and my media shares are read only so I tricked the A-400 into creating a db on one of my disks in a share called jukebox which typically doesn't have any media (except the dummy file I placed there to create the db). Once the db is created, I used NMJToolbox to delete the path and only scan my UnRAID "media" share.
post #2338 of 2339 Old 10-01-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post
Just share your media to the A400 read only and it will store the jukebox locally. If you use an SSD for the internal drive the jukebox is pretty damn fast.

Looky here!
post #2339 of 2339 Old 10-01-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Just share your media to the A400 read only and it will store the jukebox locally. If you use an SSD for the internal drive the jukebox is pretty damn fast.
True, but I share my database between my A-400 and C-200 so I prefer to have control over the location (in this case, my server).
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Popcorn Hour A 400 Network Media Jukebox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page