My Ideal Media Streamer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-05-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I do not belive my ideal ALL IN ONE device exists. I wish someone would create one. Here is my list.

1. Simple/responsive interface that can be navigated with a remote with few clicks.
2. Ability to stream off of a file server, BD ISO, MKV, DVD ISO, AVI, MT2, VOB. Full menu support for BD ISO and DVD ISO.
3. Supports DTS HD, DTS, Doly True HD.
4. Has built in online services like, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, MLB, Vudu, etc.
5. Plays FLAC, AAC, MP3 audio files via network file server.
6. Has a nice movie interface for cover art etc.
7. Ability to display and control cable, such as DVR, VOD.

Optional
1. Ability to incorporate all my services, (Netflix, Amazon, Cable, File Server, etc) content into a single guide to allow me to find what I want to watch.
2. Automated processes for scraping content or support for server applications that perform task.

I do not think something like this exists. I am not interested in building a HTPC to do this because they are never push button. I had high hopes for Google TV but the support for native vide files is poor. I do not want to convert the files using something like Plex or Twonky. I also had hoped that the a dune player would be released that would add Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. But it looks like Dune is not going down that round. I currently own two WD Live Hubs and they work well, but lack the BD ISO (full menu) functionality and Dolby HD functionality.

Anyone know of any company working on something like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm with you...i had thought that Roku with Plex might be the answer but Plex still too wonky....I'm going to stick with WD Live TV using 'DArklight' theme for my needs...
Old 09-05-2012, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

I do not belive my ideal ALL IN ONE device exists. I wish someone would create one. Here is my list.
1. Simple/responsive interface that can be navigated with a remote with few clicks.
2. Ability to stream off of a file server, BD ISO, MKV, DVD ISO, AVI, MT2, VOB. Full menu support for BD ISO and DVD ISO.
3. Supports DTS HD, DTS, Doly True HD.
4. Has built in online services like, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, MLB, Vudu, etc.
5. Plays FLAC, AAC, MP3 audio files via network file server.
6. Has a nice movie interface for cover art etc.
7. Ability to display and control cable, such as DVR, VOD.
Optional
1. Ability to incorporate all my services, (Netflix, Amazon, Cable, File Server, etc) content into a single guide to allow me to find what I want to watch.
2. Automated processes for scraping content or support for server applications that perform task.
I do not think something like this exists. I am not interested in building a HTPC to do this because they are never push button. I had high hopes for Google TV but the support for native vide files is poor. I do not want to convert the files using something like Plex or Twonky. I also had hoped that the a dune player would be released that would add Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. But it looks like Dune is not going down that round. I currently own two WD Live Hubs and they work well, but lack the BD ISO (full menu) functionality and Dolby HD functionality.
Anyone know of any company working on something like this?

There was a similar thread the other week (and I imagine constantly) and I posted a pretty similar list to yours, but I also added proper 3D support from both MKV container files and Blu-ray disc images.

I doubt #7 will ever happen, as the cable companies do not seem to want to adapt their delivery models toward more user control/device sharing etc, but who knows.

As of yet, there doesn't seem to be a device that can do 1-6 properly without issue. At this point, I'm willing to take a smooth XBMC like interface (so proper scraping and cover art for movies/TV) shows/music) with proper 3D handling and just use my Smart TV for Netflix/Vudu. I'm currently using an old Popcorn Hour A-100 and a friend's WDTV Live gen2 to stream local content and then my Smart TV for Netflix/Vudu. So I have no proper 3D support and WD TV interface is meh.