What is the most stable media player/streamer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-09-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking to find out which player is the most stable and reliable in playing Blu-ray ISO files and 3D. A nice UI is also a plus. Looking to spend under $500 and I do not want to build a htpc. I have a Micca ep950 now and it's too buggy for me. I've read a lot of the threads but there is only so many hours in the day. Is there a somewhat common consensus? Also, lossless audio is a must. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-09-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by socwrkr View Post

I'm looking to find out which player is the most stable and reliable in playing Blu-ray ISO files and 3D. A nice UI is also a plus. Looking to spend under $500 and I do not want to build a htpc. I have a Micca ep950 now and it's too buggy for me. I've read a lot of the threads but there is only so many hours in the day. Is there a somewhat common consensus? Also, lossless audio is a must. thanks

If you can do without frame-packed blu-ray 3d, then Dune is your answer, if you NEED frame-packed blu-ray 3d then there is no answer.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-09-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Your options a a little slim right now. all the 3d players out right now are based on the same realtek 1186 chip. Some people have better luck with Mede8er players. Or wait a month or two and see what the pch A400 looks like. and if Dune brings out one of there 8672/8673 models that should also support 3d.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-09-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Ok, I continue to research and that leads into more research and then even more .. you get the idea. Anyways, I'm still learning so bare with me. I am wondering for the Dune Player it says it plays RealD but not frame packed (what does this mean.. could i still play my 3d bd?) Also in order to run a jukebox such as Zappiti, do i have to keep a computer on all the time? I currently just use 2 external hdd connected to my micca and once in awhile I'll turn my computer on and stream some music or something, but keep most content on my external hdd. I do plan on upgrading to a 4 bay raid system (also trying to research this), but usually turn my computers off. Will the jukeboxes work with just the media player connected to the hdds independently or will i need a computer on all the time to run it? Final question-- do you know if there is current plans for Dune to release a 3D compatible player (hdmi 1.4)? Thanks guys....so much to learn.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-09-2012, 09:23 PM

Liked: 10
The best option is to use a NAS.

The second is to install a HDD inside the player (Dune and other players) or an external HDD via the USB or eSata port.

You don't need a computer with the above options, but you will need one to transfer the movies to either HDD option.

I heard Dune has plans to release a 3D player, but I haven't visited their site to confirm.

I use a QNAP NAS and a Dune player and life is good....
post #6 of 11 Old 09-10-2012, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I think that everybody will be OK to say that Dune is the most stable player out there (doesn't mean that PCH or Mede8er are bad).

If you want full 3D compatibility (frame packed) you will need to wait the new Dune range (103/203/403D and Base 3D) that should be out before Christmas. Pricing is still unknown and due to Cinavia there won't be any full BR menu support (unfortunately it will be the same with any other brand...).

For zappiti, yadis...jukeboxes you don't need your PC to be always turned on. You just need the PC to create and update the jukebox only when you change something in your collection. Once done the jukebox will be updated for the dune and can be used with the PC turned off.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-10-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
For full 3D, the latest Mede8er 1000X3D is pretty stable. Minor bugs, which Mede8er seems to be quickly addressing.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #8 of 11 Old 09-10-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

RealD is not really used in consumer discs. Frame packed 3D blu-ray format is what you get when you buy a 3D blu-ray right now. You can convert the disc to 3D side-by-side or 3D top bottom and the Dune player will play them in 3D just fine. The downside is that resolution is effectively halved. Most people who have a significant collection of media put their files on either a NAS or a pc with hard drive space and network the 2 together via ethernet cable. A pc is used to rip the content to the storage device. The ripping pc need not be on for the Dune to play the media content (movie, music, photos, etc.). The jukebox software is executed on a pc and the resulting files are generally stored where the media content is stored. The jukebox software is not used by the Dune and is not required to be powered up for the Dune to navigate the jukebox files.

Dune did show some new 3d hardware at the IFA conference in Germany a few weeks ago, but did not show those boxes at the CEDIA conference in Indianapolis last week.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-10-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

You guys are great! Thanks for all the info. One more question: I filled up a 3tb external drive pretty fast so looks like a ineed something that holds more. Are there raid servers for sale or do you have to always build them? And suggestions on what to get. (i am not computer savy enough to build my own) Thanks!!!
post #10 of 11 Old 09-10-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:

You guys are great! Thanks for all the info. One more question: I filled up a 3tb external drive pretty fast so looks like a ineed something that holds more. Are there raid servers for sale or do you have to always build them? And suggestions on what to get. (i am not computer savy enough to build my own) Thanks!!!

If you've got the money, I would suggest a Synology NAS. If you don't and want to take a change at building a server, I would recommend Unraid. I couldn't afford a Synology 8 bay drive. So, I built my own Unraid server currently with 10TB of storage, and a 2TB parity drive that acts as a backup in case one of the drives fail. I can install up to 22 drives, but I think UnRaid pro license get updated and now you can have 24 drives.

It was inexpensive to build the server, but it got a little bit expensive due to the hard drive prices.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #11 of 11 Old 09-10-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are many, but Netgear, Synology and Qnap are the best supported. Netgear still supports their devices from 1999 with firmware updates!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page