How to get my content from Media Center/UnRaid Server to Xbox? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-09-2012, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had a Media Center PC running Windows 7 Ultimate with my entire media collection stored to its hard drive for direct use off that PC or streaming to one xbox within my home through Media Browser

Everything, if i recall, used to work fine. I could stream DVD rips (VIDEO_TS/VOB) and my avi TV rips.

I thought it all used to work fine but i havent used it much recently. I then converted over to a UNRAID server for storage of all my media and started ripping hd videos to MKV with the occassional AVI file but now nothing will stream over to my xbox.

I now get an error for dvd rips (VIDEO_TS) that says the folder is missing a file to play please restart media center

I get an error for individual tv rips (MKV, AVI) that says a codec is missing or file cannot be accessed.

for what it is worth i can watch live an recorded tv just fine.

IS there a way to get these files working again and watchable on my xbox? I dont know if it is a codec issue because when i went to the server I reinstalled windows to a SSD and decided not to do a codec pack this time. I was using Shark007 before. I never did transcoding but when i did turn it on i got an error that said Transcoding could not be started on the xbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-10-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You should try installing PLEX, then use the DLNA feature to stream to the xbox. This will work best if your XBOX is wired to the network, might get choppy if your doing wireless.

http://plexapp.com/

http://www.plexapp.com/connected/

http://elan.plexapp.com/2012/03/29/this-aint-your-grandfathers-dlna/

Your probably having issues cause the XBOX doesn't support MKV's. Plex will transcode and serve it up for you.

Best of luck.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-12-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

I have downloaded Plex and love it. I like that it streams well to my iPad and android phone. Something I have struggled with in the past.

My current issue now is it does not support my video TS files that my DVDs are ripped in. Oddly enough it will stream my blu ray rips though i am unsure of their format.

Will I have to go and repackage all of my video TS files? Mkv being the best option I assume? Can DVD fab do this or do I need another program to just change the container and make sure it does not compress the file.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-16-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwheezy75 View Post

I have downloaded Plex and love it. I like that it streams well to my iPad and android phone. Something I have struggled with in the past.
My current issue now is it does not support my video TS files that my DVDs are ripped in. Oddly enough it will stream my blu ray rips though i am unsure of their format.
Will I have to go and repackage all of my video TS files? Mkv being the best option I assume? Can DVD fab do this or do I need another program to just change the container and make sure it does not compress the file.

You can use dvdfab to go from TS folder to single file movie. For BD movies, I use ClownBD+AnyDVD HD and rip to BR folder structure, and for DVD movies, I use MakeMKV to single file main movie MKV only. I don't use XBOX for streaming though. So, I am not sure how that will work for you.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #5 of 7 Old 09-18-2012, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

I have been using dvd fab to rip blu rays with much success but now when i try to play a few back through plex they are not the full length film but it seams to be ~2 minutes scenes some longer some shorter. like its reading in pieces. how did that happen
post #6 of 7 Old 09-19-2012, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
You really shouldn't be using TS or MKV containers with the hardware you have, use the MP4 container and that will cause much less trouble for game consoles, tablets and phones. TS/MKV are for dedicated media players, not the sort of stuff your using & by using MP4 you will avoid having the server transcode the video in most cases.

If the video is H.264/TS you can use MKV2MP4 to repackage the video while converting the audio (if necessary) into an MP4 container. If MKV2MP4 doesn't see the .ts file rename it to .m2ts and that should do it but it only works if the video is H.264.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwheezy75 View Post

I have been using dvd fab to rip blu rays with much success but now when i try to play a few back through plex they are not the full length film but it seams to be ~2 minutes scenes some longer some shorter. like its reading in pieces. how did that happen

Sounds likes you didn't select the correct stream on the disc, the DVD/BD will contain multiple video streams belonging to the main movie and the extras on the disc, you have to select the full movie stream for conversion.

DVDFab is not very good in my opinion, what I do like others is use MakeMKV to rip the DVD or BD main movie to the HDD, this is the same media that's on the disc, play the MKV file to confirm its the right one. Then feed the MKV file into Handbrake and select the high profile preset, with MP4/M4V as the container then hit start. Thats if you want top quality, if you want compatibility with as many devices as possible then try the universal preset.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-19-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

You really shouldn't be using TS or MKV containers with the hardware you have, use the MP4 container and that will cause much less trouble for game consoles, tablets and phones. TS/MKV are for dedicated media players, not the sort of stuff your using & by using MP4 you will avoid having the server transcode the video in most cases.
If the video is H.264/TS you can use MKV2MP4 to repackage the video while converting the audio (if necessary) into an MP4 container. If MKV2MP4 doesn't see the .ts file rename it to .m2ts and that should do it but it only works if the video is H.264.
Sounds likes you didn't select the correct stream on the disc, the DVD/BD will contain multiple video streams belonging to the main movie and the extras on the disc, you have to select the full movie stream for conversion.
DVDFab is not very good in my opinion, what I do like others is use MakeMKV to rip the DVD or BD main movie to the HDD, this is the same media that's on the disc, play the MKV file to confirm its the right one. Then feed the MKV file into Handbrake and select the high profile preset, with MP4/M4V as the container then hit start. Thats if you want top quality, if you want compatibility with as many devices as possible then try the universal preset.

yea it is currently very inconvenient but when i first built the media center it was strictly a pc that was in my room to house my dvd rips. Since then i have moved out, added a cable card, and two xbox's and now my formating is holding me back. Im going through the process of one by one converting my video_Ts rips over to MKV so that i can switch them to MP4. ALl future movies will get the Makemkv-Handbrake treatment to start.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page