ReadyNas NV+ v2 or Ultra 4 Plus? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-11-2012, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to get a NAS set up for my home to store movies and music. All I really need is the extra storage space because I don't have any more room in my computer. I know the Ultra 4 Plus is much faster than the NV+ v2, but I'm not sure if I will need all the extra speed. What I will be doing is serving the hd movie to my computer to transcode using PS3 Media Server and playing it through my PS3 on the tv. Everything will be wired on gigabit network. Would the NV+ be able to serve fast enough to 2-3 different locations at the same time and not cause hiccups? If not then I will probably have to get the Ultra 4 Plus. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-11-2012, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The NV+ v2 should be able to serve you well.

If you take a look at the performance graphs here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6100/netgear-nv-v2-and-lacie-2big-nas-a-second-look/3 , 4x HD playback has approximately 55 MBps of usable throughput. That translates to 440 Mbps. Most HD rips top out at 50 Mbps, and so, you have plenty of throughput available for up to 4 simultaneous HD movie streams out of the NAS.

The Ultra 4 Plus, I believe, has a transcoder app built-in. However, if you are set upon the PS3 Media Server solution, then, the NV+ v2 should be enough for your needs.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm using the NV+ and Duo v2s and get 50-55MB writing to them from my desktop and about 90MB writing from them to the desktop. I'm using them to feed some Popbox 3Ds. Since I got the Netgear R6300s to use as router and bridges, I have been able to stream straight blu-ray rips to the bedroom and living room at the same time. If I get a chance tonight, I will throw in the one in the computer room (wired) as well and see how three goes but I expect it will be fine.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-11-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

The NV+ v2 should be able to serve you well.
If you take a look at the performance graphs here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6100/netgear-nv-v2-and-lacie-2big-nas-a-second-look/3 , 4x HD playback has approximately 55 MBps of usable throughput. That translates to 440 Mbps. Most HD rips top out at 50 Mbps, and so, you have plenty of throughput available for up to 4 simultaneous HD movie streams out of the NAS.
The Ultra 4 Plus, I believe, has a transcoder app built-in. However, if you are set upon the PS3 Media Server solution, then, the NV+ v2 should be enough for your needs.
Thanks for the explanation. Does that mean I can stream from the Ultra 4 Plus without have to go through my computer? Which one would you recommend to be more future proof. I will be adding 2x2TB hard drives first and adding 2 more later on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingher View Post

I'm using the NV+ and Duo v2s and get 50-55MB writing to them from my desktop and about 90MB writing from them to the desktop. I'm using them to feed some Popbox 3Ds. Since I got the Netgear R6300s to use as router and bridges, I have been able to stream straight blu-ray rips to the bedroom and living room at the same time. If I get a chance tonight, I will throw in the one in the computer room (wired) as well and see how three goes but I expect it will be fine.
Thanks for the input.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-11-2012, 02:45 PM

I owned the original Duo when it came out (sold it because it was so slow) and currently rely on 4 D-Link DNS-323's (2 bays each), 1 D-Link DNS-343 (4 bay), and just installed a ReadyNAS Pro 2 as a Logitech Squeezebox media server. So I cannot speak firsthand to the NV2+, but... the Intel Atom dual-core processors in the Ultra 4 Plus / Pro 2 / Pro 4 / Pro 6 models, combined with the 1 GB of RAM (vs. 256 MB in the NV2+) makes all the difference in the world. That dual core flies! I'm going to be replacing all of my old D-Link's with two Ultra 4 Plus's in the next few months.

Western Digital has a new red series of NAS-optimized drives out too, I'm looking forward to those. Though my 12 1TB WD Caviar Greens have been working great, if slow, for 4 years.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-11-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222

Unless you find a feature on the Ultra 4 Plus you can't live without I would go with the NV+ v2. Firmware wise ReadyNAS has been adding missing features (those found on the older models) such as TiVo archiving to its new(er) models and although less powerful one would think being newer they would be better supported down the road. Also, they have USB 3.0 ports which comes in handy if you want to transfer data. One issue (a big one) I have with them is the extremely small number of hard drives they support. Even worse at times a hard drive will disappear from the list entirely or be revised that the firmware has to be upgraded.

I used both NV+ v2 and DUO v2 units and after the drives I used were removed from the compatibility list I swapped them. Later on the ones I swapped to had to be updated... at that point I punted. As I got tired of having to swap my data back and forth between drives, not to mention drives I couldn't use any longer.

post #7 of 10 Old 09-12-2012, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuddenDesigns View Post

I owned the original Duo when it came out (sold it because it was so slow) and currently rely on 4 D-Link DNS-323's (2 bays each), 1 D-Link DNS-343 (4 bay), and just installed a ReadyNAS Pro 2 as a Logitech Squeezebox media server. So I cannot speak firsthand to the NV2+, but... the Intel Atom dual-core processors in the Ultra 4 Plus / Pro 2 / Pro 4 / Pro 6 models, combined with the 1 GB of RAM (vs. 256 MB in the NV2+) makes all the difference in the world. That dual core flies! I'm going to be replacing all of my old D-Link's with two Ultra 4 Plus's in the next few months.
Western Digital has a new red series of NAS-optimized drives out too, I'm looking forward to those. Though my 12 1TB WD Caviar Greens have been working great, if slow, for 4 years.
That's what I was thinking too. The extra memory and CPU speed should hold up better in the long run since I probably won't be upgrading it for a long while, I'd need something to last me for at least 3-4 years. And if the Plus can do transcoding and I don't have to do it through my computer, that's even better since other people can watch stuff without slowing my computer down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Unless you find a feature on the Ultra 4 Plus you can't live without I would go with the NV+ v2. Firmware wise ReadyNAS has been adding missing features (those found on the older models) such as TiVo archiving to its new(er) models and although less powerful one would think being newer they would be better supported down the road. Also, they have USB 3.0 ports which comes in handy if you want to transfer data. One issue (a big one) I have with them is the extremely small number of hard drives they support. Even worse at times a hard drive will disappear from the list entirely or be revised that the firmware has to be upgraded.

I used both NV+ v2 and DUO v2 units and after the drives I used were removed from the compatibility list I swapped them. Later on the ones I swapped to had to be updated... at that point I punted. As I got tired of having to swap my data back and forth between drives, not to mention drives I couldn't use any longer.
The drive issue might be enough to push me to get the Ultra 4 Plus. I really want a set it and forget type box and not have to worry about my data. Thanks for letting me know about it.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-12-2012, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrdrgn123 View Post

Thanks for the explanation. Does that mean I can stream from the Ultra 4 Plus without have to go through my computer? Which one would you recommend to be more future proof. I will be adding 2x2TB hard drives first and adding 2 more later on.
Thanks for the input.

I know it has a transcoding app (I think it is called Orb), but I am not sure whether it will have good enough performance to transcode 1080p HD material since it is software based and running on Atom processor. NV+ v2 is much cheaper and also consumes less power. Also, in 1 - 2 year time frame, we will have NAS SoCs come with in-built transcoder acceleration engine which will be even more power efficient. Since you already have PS3 Media Server set up, I suggest NV+ v2.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-13-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

I know it has a transcoding app (I think it is called Orb), but I am not sure whether it will have good enough performance to transcode 1080p HD material since it is software based and running on Atom processor. NV+ v2 is much cheaper and also consumes less power. Also, in 1 - 2 year time frame, we will have NAS SoCs come with in-built transcoder acceleration engine which will be even more power efficient. Since you already have PS3 Media Server set up, I suggest NV+ v2.
Thanks a lot. I just ordered the NV+ last night. Will hopefully upgrade to the new ones you mentioned in a few years time.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-13-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
If I only had the money, I would get Synology or QNap. Netgear is okay, but Synology and QNap have better support.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page