Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-16-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help.

I recently purchased a Pioneer N50- media player and I am struggling to work out the best way to rip my CD's onto the Synology DS212J I also purchased afer reading WHAT HI-FI recomendations

I'm looking to store about 300 CD's and looking to get the best quality. The Synology has 2x2TB disks in Synology raid formate hence hope I have plenty of space to do the ripping both now and in the future. I have tried a number of software products but they don't seem to be too easy to use. ie

Itunes- in WAV - N50 does not seem to recognise the files

Windows Media Player- does not rip FLAC which I understood to be the most flexible format

Express Rip- does seem to pick up track and artist details (meta data?) so Pioneer reads as unknown artist, hence finding music to play is difficult

EAC- seems quite complicated and took 20 mins to rip one CD in FLAC

Media Monkey- most successfull when ripping FLAC files but fiddly to find track and artist data and when playing on Pioneer FLAC files displayed as WAV and couldn't work out how to store cover details (if this is possible like in Itunes)

Ideally I would like to store the files to be able to use them on my ipod too but thats a secondary consideration for now

Any guidance or advice greatfully received
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-16-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I use Media Monkey for file management and EAC for ripping.

EAC should be easy to use. There isn't anything you really need to change in the settings unless you want the files to be named in a specific way. All you really have to do is select Action>Test and Copy Selected Tracks>Compress... from the menu and select a location to save the file. EAC is probably the best and most accurate ripping program out there for FLAC files. If you have a collection of 300 CD's, accuracy is what you want. You do not want to find yourself re-ripping files in the future in the event there is a problem with your rip, so while it might not be very fast, you know it's done right. I have a collection of over 500+ CD's and used EAC to rip them all. I simply put a CD in, ripped it, and came back every 15 or 20 minutes and did the next one.

This Wiki has a description of the various options if you are interested in changing them.
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_Lossless_Backup

Once you rip to FLAC, you can turn it into any other file you need. Since FLAC is lossless, it's identical to the original WAV file.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-16-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi David,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAClark View Post

. . . EAC- seems quite complicated and took 20 mins to rip one CD in FLAC

It sounds like you're a candidate for dBpoweramp (for $39).

20 minutes sounds ok to me. I use EAC, and that's about how long it takes. That's the price for getting a secure rip, which only EAC and dBpoweramp do (last I checked).
post #4 of 6 Old 09-16-2012, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Try the free trial for JRiver MediaCenter. I think it is well worth the price of admission - makes ripping CD's very easy. Good luck!

http://www.jriver.com/index.html
post #5 of 6 Old 09-16-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
dbpoweramp and eac are both great programs and it does take a while to get an accurate rip to flac. Neither will rip or convert DVD-Audio, SACD or blu-ray discs however. That should be okay as the streamer that you chose cannot handle multichannel audio nor hi-res.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-23-2012, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks all sounds like I just need to persevere or try your alternatives
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page