Media Streamer that plays .TS files? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Does anyone have a recommendation for a media player that will play a native ATSC compliant transport stream file(s) (.TS or .TP)? The files come from a MIT MDP-130 tuner card, tuner captures and edited with VideoReDo and TSReader files from DVB-S satellite feeds. I know the DVICO TViX M6620N will play the files but it is no longer supported.

If a player exist do you know if it can be controlled via IP using iOS and/or Android?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Both my ancient Zensonic Z500 and more recent Netgear NeoTV 550 play .TS files from the MDP-130, but for the NeoTV, the files must have the .TS extension...the default .TP used when recording isn't seen.

The NeoTV can be controlled by an Android app as well as just using any web browser. But, I like the Zensonic better as it automatically plays the next file in the directory, which allows you to watch behind while recording. It also has "commercial skip" settings that allow quick jumps forward and back, and the NeoTV does not.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 463
The WD Live-SMP also plays .ts files. I use a Silicon Dust HD Homerun to do HDTV OTA captures to .ts files. I haven't used .tp files but according the the WD LIve specs it will play those too. I can stream the .ts files on the WD Live while they are still recording. Unfortunately it does not have a DVR - like skip forward/back. You have to FF through the commercials.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 13 Old 09-18-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Pretty much all media players play .ts files, so your choices are wide open. If .tp files don't play, just rename to .ts and they should play. If you need a simple media player, I'd recommend any WD TV model, or any Realtek 1185-based player (Mede8er 450X2, Pivos AIOS, Micca EP250 or EP350, etc.). Realtek 1185 and 1186 players are even more supportive of a larger variety of formats, even those with errors, or less-than-ideally authored videos.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #5 of 13 Old 09-18-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for all the info. I am going to wait and see what the Popcorn Hour A-400 brings to the table.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-18-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

The A-400 adds ability to play frame-packed 3D, and an iPad app to view/control your jukebox.

post #7 of 13 Old 09-18-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

The A-400 adds ability to play frame-packed 3D, and an iPad app to view/control your jukebox.

Thanks Brajesh, I had looked at some of the info here and other places plus the pamphlet from Sigma Designs, here. There is a video on You Tube showing off the iPad control app. If this works as described then I may have to purchase one.

post #8 of 13 Old 09-20-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

The WD Live-SMP also plays .ts files. I use a Silicon Dust HD Homerun to do HDTV OTA captures to .ts files. I haven't used .tp files but according the the WD LIve specs it will play those too. I can stream the .ts files on the WD Live while they are still recording. Unfortunately it does not have a DVR - like skip forward/back. You have to FF through the commercials.

The lack of skip/forward back made it unusable to watch TV recordings for me when I tried it before. I could never get the FF to stop exactly where I wanted it (would miss several seconds of the show). Also, I recall when watching files as they were recording, the total length of the file would not update so it would kick you out of playback when you caught up to the time/length of the file as it was when you started playing it. Has any of this been improved? If so, I might try the SMP again since otherwise I really liked this player.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-20-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

The lack of skip/forward back made it unusable to watch TV recordings for me when I tried it before. I could never get the FF to stop exactly where I wanted it (would miss several seconds of the show). Also, I recall when watching files as they were recording, the total length of the file would not update so it would kick you out of playback when you caught up to the time/length of the file as it was when you started playing it. Has any of this been improved?

Playing .ts files while they are recording is not something I do often. I've only done it a couple times just to see if it worked. I never noticed the recording length info and never watched long enough to be kicked out, so I can't answer your question.

I personally find the FF/RW buttons for skipping through commercials to be responsive enough to be a usable but not a satisfying experience. It serves the purpose in "emergency" situations but having been spoiled by TiVo's skip features it is not something I would care to do on a regular basis -- others may find it just fine and suitable for their purposes. Shows I record with the HD Homerun are typically those i intend to collect for the season before watching so I edit out the commercials before they get played by the WD Live.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #10 of 13 Old 09-20-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

. . . I recall when watching files as they were recording, the total length of the file would not update so it would kick you out of playback when you caught up to the time/length of the file as it was when you started playing it.
It may be an issue with the storage-device's software (where you are recording to). Or it could be the player.

I used to play while recording with my old Mediagates. If I recorded to my windows server, I could not play until the recording was finished (and the file was closed). But if I recorded to my NAS (linux-based), then I could start playing as soon as I started recording (just a few seconds behind), and it would play fine, trailing the recording, until the recording stopped. If I fast-forward to the point where I caught up to the recording, playback would stop. But I never needed to do that, as the main purpose was to be able to pause or backup a few seconds.

It might also be related to the recording software - What attributes it used to create the file. Opening the file with "exclusive access" would bone you. I always both recorded and played over the network using SMB (three separate devices), so that might limit the attributes available to the recording and playing software.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-21-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 75
Why is it that none of these devices can offer a guide and be their own DVR with access to HDhomerun tuners? I would be all over a Popcorn hour or Dune that, in addition to all the media files it could play, can also access my hdhomerun OTA / ClearQam / Cablecard tuners and offer a guide with series recording capability, just like Media Center.

Is there some sort of licensing that prevents them from implementing this?
post #12 of 13 Old 09-21-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Could be. You do see OTA tuners in media players in Europe (DVB), but hardly any for U.S. (ATSC) market. There's just the live TV dongle for Boxee Box, and TViX's media player/PVR, which is dated. Boxee is rumored to be releasing a PVR/DVR solution for U.S. this Fall, so we'll see.

post #13 of 13 Old 09-21-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

It may be an issue with the storage-device's software (where you are recording to).

Maybe - I was only able to test it with a Windows share and NextPVR doing the recording.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page