Wireless AC and HD, Feedback - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I see that several routers with Wireless AC protocol (non-official) are hitting the market any day now. The reason I am posting in here is to find out what kind luck people have with streaming uncompressed large blu-ray rips in their house.

Here is an example of an access point with Wireless AC: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833999018

Here is the router: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124470

If someone buys one, which model and results? As well as approximate distance and number of walls the signal traveled through?

I have semi-high hopes for this new technology to finally give people stable enough bandwidth to stream their uncompressed HD content. Call me an optimist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
It has the same downfalls as wireless N. the higher you go in the spectrum of wireless the worse it gets for wireless HD video, The band they use is terrible at going through walls and around corners. So if you need to go into a different room that is say 30 feet away you have dropped I would estimate 40%+ of the speed/latency of the wireless.

The analogy I like to use is think back to when cordless phone first came out in the 900mhz range You could talk on the phone leave your house walk down your driveway and down the street without it dropping the call. Now take a 2.5/5.0ghz cordless and you are lucky to make it out your front door. While the higher spectrum offers faster speeds it comes at a price of the distance it can travel.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 01:38 PM

Liked: 15
Haven't tested myself, but like halfelite says there is a trade-off, especially at 5GHz. You could probably pull it off with a series of repeaters. Personally, I went with powerline and am very happy with the results. I get just under 100mbit and have zero latency/packet loss issues which is the real problem with wireless (it has high throughput but spotty packet loss and latency which is not good for streaming high bitrate).
post #4 of 13 Old 09-18-2012, 07:45 AM

Liked: 10
I just purchased the new Linksys EA6500 Wireless-AC smart wi-fi router + compatible Wireless-AC universal media connector (bridge). Bought it from the official Linksys store http://homestore.cisco.com

Package should arrive today and then I will write review.

Excited about the new speed that will work with HD and 3D HD video streaming. Trying to stop using Cable TV and go with internet video streaming instead (netflix, stream DVDs, etc.)
post #5 of 13 Old 09-18-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo33 View Post

I just purchased the new Linksys EA6500 Wireless-AC smart wi-fi router + compatible Wireless-AC universal media connector (bridge). Bought it from the official Linksys store http://homestore.cisco.com
Excited about the new speed that will work with HD and 3D HD video streaming. Trying to stop using Cable TV and go with internet video streaming instead (netflix, stream DVDs, etc.)

Report back and let us know how it goes. Netflix etc. should be fine (not a large bandwidth demand) but I'm curious if you can stream a 3D Blu-ray disc image over wireless, never seen that done successfully.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-18-2012, 02:07 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo33 View Post

I'd be curious to know how this goes as well for HD video streaming smile.gif
post #7 of 13 Old 09-18-2012, 06:18 PM

Liked: 11
I am beta-testing a new entry in the ac market for an unnamed company with initials wd. It is a simple router/bridge pair, but the new protocol with its triple spatial streams lets it punch through the walls of my longish condo like nobody's business. I am comparing their performance to a pair of Belkin powerline Ethernet terminals, and I can tell you there is a marked increase in performance, without being able to quantify the improvement.

There's more to 802.11ac than just a higher frequency and doubled bandwidth...
post #8 of 13 Old 09-19-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Only issue I see is now you need to upgrade all your equipment to take advantage of it, unless you do the bridge method. Most Units only come with wireless n/g.

How stable is the performance?

Right now I have powerline and it works quite well. I only have a couple hiccups now and then, but I just restart the stream and it continues.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-19-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

Only issue I see is now you need to upgrade all your equipment to take advantage of it, unless you do the bridge method. Most Units only come with wireless n/g.
How stable is the performance?
Right now I have powerline and it works quite well. I only have a couple hiccups now and then, but I just restart the stream and it continues.

This is what I'm interested in. Ok, higher bandwidth is great (although with powerline you are generally at 100mbit which is plenty for streaming video content), but what about latency, packet loss etc. Those are my issues with wireless (for streaming and gaming).
post #10 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can anyone give some feedback on this router? I would assume by now, some people have purchased and had a chance to use.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 592
You can have this new and faster router, but the issue is that all your other devices must support it as well. So, it doesn't matter it won't work to stream HD content wireless. The technology is too new.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #12 of 13 Old 10-02-2012, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

You can have this new and faster router, but the issue is that all your other devices must support it as well. So, it doesn't matter it won't work to stream HD content wireless. The technology is too new.

I understand that. One of the posters said they bought the router along with a bridge that would allow a wired connection at the receiving end. I bleive linksys is selling this soultion as a package. That is what I am interested in.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-07-2012, 07:51 AM

Liked: 11
@Gordo33:

Any update on your new Linksys EA6500 Wireless-AC smart wi-fi router + compatible Wireless-AC universal media connector (bridge)?

My WD router/bridge beta package is still working well.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page