Those new things - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-20-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pardon if this duplicates other threads, but I thought it worth mentioning.
Vizio - http://www.vizio.com/costar/overview
ug802's - http://www.geniatech.com/pa/atv100.asp
- http://dealsprime.com/gv-20-anroid-4-1-tv-box---cortex-a9-dual-core-mini-pc---gv-20.aspx
- http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/2012-Hot-Selling-Dual-Core-Android-4-1-TV-Box-MK808-Rockchip-RK3066-1GB-DDR3/641765907.html

Some caveats, people report the ug802's wifi is not really up to snuff, the MK808's haven't been reviewed yet, but will add bluetooth capabilities. The prices, as these flood the market, will probably come down to $ 45 to 65 in the coming months. Early reports do say they work very, very well. XBMC can be added, but stability can be an issue. That is being worked on.
People have been successful with rooting and expanding/customizing them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-20-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I received my Vizio C0-star VAP430 August 18th and am still having some problems with it even after it has been replaced once.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-21-2012, 06:57 AM

Liked: 14
This one looks pretty good since it has XBMC support with Hardware Acceleration out of the box: http://androidtvbox.us/products/g-box-dyno/
post #4 of 11 Old 09-21-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The Dyno and Midnight both look interesting. So, are these any better than Pivos' XIOS-DS? Can you play 1:1 1080p BD rips (especially higher bitrate stuff) over wired network? Netflix? Not seeing any real reviews.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #5 of 11 Old 09-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
  • The ATV100 (uses amlogic 8726-M3) is a waste of money don't buy it, lacks means to update firmware so your stuck with the one that's on it which is buggy to say the least. Also the specifications don't match up to what is being sold with lower CPU speeds. These do run XBMC with full hardware decoding being an Amlogic chip.
  • The G-Box Dyno is an All Winner A10 device, the Android OS on these lack AC3/DTS audio support. In addition support for Allwinner A10 devices under XBMC was a complicated topic, it looks now as if it might be happening under linux (no idea about Android) but it is still very much a wait and see do not buy anything, a lot of people got burned by Allwinner first time round.
  • The GV-20 & MK808 are Rockchip 3066 devices, probably the fastest Android TV device out there for now with a custom UI however it is not supported by XBMC & may never be, Rockchip are a notorious violator of the GPL.

If looking for an AndroidTV stick that will run XBMC wait for someone like Pivos to locally launch their own one based on an Amlogic chip even if it's the same one as the ATV100 as at least you will get support and know exactly what your getting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

The Dyno and Midnight both look interesting. So, are these any better than Pivos' XIOS-DS? Can you play 1:1 1080p BD rips (especially higher bitrate stuff) over wired network? Netflix? Not seeing any real reviews.

Both Amlogic M3 and Allwinner VPU's can handle 1:1 BD rips however
1) The software interface to these VPU's is extremely primitive with the stock Android media player, XBMC is really the best option here and there is a lot more work to do for XBMC and the underlying OS to smooth all of that out.
2) Allwinner A10 devices cut every corner possible, the wireless and ethernet on them often are often sub 10Mbps so useless for media streaming, I haven't been keeping track of it but there are some claims these issues are being fixed with the Mele A10 devices (I'd be sceptical).
3) The Amlogic M1 I'm not so sure if it can handle all very high bitrate stuff compared to the newer M3 and M6 (Pivos have an M3 box in the works). The A10 VPU claims 4K support up to 2160p.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-21-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

I agree with the above, while worth watching, best to exercise a caveat emptor approach. One of the the caveats is you will need the MarketEnabler_v3.apk to change the settings from the default ( Chinese ) to another region. On the other hand the ug802's and 808's get excellent reviews on 1080p playback.
Getting the content to them may be wired only, especially for high bitrate. If you use the .apk, don't forget to clear the google play app cache and data.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-24-2012, 02:48 PM

anyone knows if its possible to stream something from android phone to tv if i get one of these android sticks to my regular tv???

post #8 of 11 Old 09-25-2012, 02:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoldman5 View Post

anyone knows if its possible to stream something from android phone to tv if i get one of these android sticks to my regular tv???

No not yet, wait for Miracast which is the cross platform version of Airplay and display mirroring. Eventually someone will get their box Miracast certified so you can push stuff from the phone to the box.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-25-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

For streaming from your phone to your tv in HD, not a problem if you get an MHL adapter - http://www.mhltech.org/
post #10 of 11 Old 10-05-2012, 12:27 PM

Actually I thought the G-Box Dyno has a Amlogic 8726-MX which is a dual core A9 with the multi-core Mali-400 built in. To me, the Dyno (and G-Box Midnight) would be the highest spec'd XBMC boxes for under $100.

Am I wrong about this?

smithmal
post #11 of 11 Old 01-07-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
The G-Box Dyno is an All Winner A10 device, the Android OS on these lack AC3/DTS audio support. In addition support for Allwinner A10 devices under XBMC was a complicated topic, it looks now as if it might be happening under linux (no idea about Android) but it is still very much a wait and see do not buy anything, a lot of people got burned by Allwinner first time round.

actually the dyno was an amlogic m3 like the midnight. i bought one, didnt really care for it though. the midnight is far superior but i just thought i'd clear the air on it since i know for a fact it wasn't the Allwinner A10 like the mk802 was. I think g-box is focused on the amlogic cpu lately.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page