XBOX next door - need cabling suggestion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-24-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Situation:

My kid and his XBOX Live are moving into the bedroom next to my office. My office is wired from the router downstairs - I had an electrician pull CAT6 through the walls/floor last year and install a wall plug. From that wall plug I have a Netgear 1GB Prosafe switch for a desktop, laptop and printer.

I have limited skill patching drywall but no skill with wall plugs, connectors or cables. I would prefer not to pay an electrician another hourly fee just to get a wall plug installed in the adjoining room.

Can someone give me a simple but clean DIY solution to get a cable into my kid's bedroom or instructions how to install a wall plug?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-24-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Go to home depot or Lowes, and they will show you what you need, and how to do it.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3 of 8 Old 09-24-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Lowes or HD is the last place I would ask how to do anything. You're better off using Google. If you can't figure out how to do something correctly yourself don't complain about paying someone who knows how.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-25-2012, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Go to home depot or Lowes, and they will show you what you need, and how to do it.

You're right. I got good advice from HD staff several months ago when I needed help with in-wall wiring for my surround sound. While I bought most of the materials,except drywall, compound and paint from Amazon, two employees gave me enough information to make sure everything looked right when I finished. And most importantly everything worked!
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

Lowes or HD is the last place I would ask how to do anything. You're better off using Google. If you can't figure out how to do something correctly yourself don't complain about paying someone who knows how.

I'm guessing you live in an apartment so when something breaks you just call the front office. If that is the case "Lowes or HD is the last place I would ask how to do anything" makes sense.

Here's my suggestion to you: the next time you can't sleep; must have been about midnight when you posted that worthless comment, and decide to scour the Web for something to participate in, don't do it on this Web site. From the looks of it this forum survives off of advertising. People like me come here for advice how to do it themselves and not to complain they don't want to pay someone who knows how. During the course of interacting with this Web site, people like me tend to click on the advertisements that relate to the products we might use in our DIY projects. People like me might even purchase from that advertiser! So if every time people like me started threads asking for help or suggestions on how to do something and people like you posted worthless replies, people like me would remove sites like AVS from their bookmarks.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-25-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 601
My local Lowes and Home Depot have very knowledgeable employees, and if they don't have they answer they usually find someone who knows the answer for me. However, I do agree that not all the Home Depots and Lowes have the same customer service and knowledgeable employees. I'm just lucky I've got some of the best Lowes and Home Depot employee in this town smile.gif.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #6 of 8 Old 09-25-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkerhelmet View Post

I'm guessing you live in an apartment so when something breaks you just call the front office. If that is the case "Lowes or HD is the last place I would ask how to do anything" makes sense.
Here's my suggestion to you: the next time you can't sleep; must have been about midnight when you posted that worthless comment, and decide to scour the Web for something to participate in, don't do it on this Web site. From the looks of it this forum survives off of advertising. People like me come here for advice how to do it themselves and not to complain they don't want to pay someone who knows how. During the course of interacting with this Web site, people like me tend to click on the advertisements that relate to the products we might use in our DIY projects. People like me might even purchase from that advertiser! So if every time people like me started threads asking for help or suggestions on how to do something and people like you posted worthless replies, people like me would remove sites like AVS from their bookmarks.

No I don't live in an apartment, I've been in the construction remodeling business for 40 years.Many of the employees at the home centers are rejects that couldn't make it in the business. I'm not saying they are all incompetent but I've had enough experience in this business that asking random people for advice is inviting trouble.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to learn how to do something yourself but it's insulting when someone says "i don't want to pay" Well, I don't know what you do for a living but maybe your knowledge isn't worth paying for.

I didn't know I had a bedtime, thanks for letting me know. Next time I'll wait till the sun rises to respond to insulting, annoying comments.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-26-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25

Well the easiest thing to do would be to get a long patch cable and snake in along or on top of the baseboard from your office to the Xbox in the next room.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10232&cs_id=1023215&p_id=2333&seq=1&format=2

If this is not an option you can try some powerline adapters.  

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10501&cs_id=1050106&p_id=6998&seq=1&format=2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006555&isNodeId=1&Description=powerline+adapter

You could also purchase a wireless access point, connect it to the switch in your office and connect the Xbox via a wireless connection.

If none of those work for you then all you need is the following and some thinking:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10519&cs_id=1051903&p_id=7303&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10517&cs_id=1051703&p_id=6725&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042507&p_id=7013&seq=1&format=2

Depending on where the current ethernet jack is in relation to where the Xbox is in the adjoining room the setup would be like this:

Netgear to patch cable to keystone jack in office to ethernet patch cable in wall space to keystone jack in son's room to ethernet patch cable to Xbox.  For this you would need two of everything listed above.  

If the existing network jack is close to where you want it in you son's room I would imagine that you could purchase a two hole keystone face place and save having to put another hole in the wall.  You may also need a crossover ethernet cable in the wall depending on how the ethernet keystone jacks are wired (some provide the cross over function for you).  I would suggest that you assemble everything outside of the wall for testing before you commit to cutting holes in your wall.  As long as you are carefull with the drywall saw when cutting out the rectangle for the mounting bracket you will not need any drywall skills.  If you spend some time researching ethernet cabling using Google you may also find that you don't mind creating your own cables.

Hope this helps.

Laters,

Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...
My HT Construction Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
My 2.35:1 Discussion Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
XBL = eqshadimar
post #8 of 8 Old 12-15-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

@ eq_shadimar

I know it has been a while since you went to great lengths to post some suggestions, but I wanted to thank you. With your help I was able to get this project completed with minimal mess. And it actually worked out going to Home Depot by scoring a LCD mount on sale!

The money I saved by not paying through the nose for an electrician I was able to buy my son a Kinect and a couple new games. We both are happier.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page